It's time for some BS!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 15 2019, 10:13am

Post #26 of 27 (1321 views)
Shortcut
It's TIME for even more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's more Book Spoiler of that iconic meeting in Bag End with one more installment to follow... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

April 12, 3018 (S.R. 1418) (continued pt. 4 of 5)
1. Gandalf reaches Hobbiton.
(from the appendices)
..."'Well!' said Gandalf at last. 'What are you thinking about? Have you decided what to do?'
...'No!' answered Frodo, coming back to himself... '...Or perhaps, yes. As far as I understand what you have said, I suppose I must keep the Ring and guard it... ...whatever it may do to me.'
...'Whatever it may do, it will be slow, slow to evil, if you keep it with that purpose,' said Gandalf.
...'I hope so,' said Frodo. 'But I hope that you may find some other better keeper soon. But in the meanwhile it seems that I am a danger... ...to all that live near me. I cannot keep the Ring and stay here. I ought to leave Bag End, leave the Shire, leave everything and go away.' He sighed.
...'I should like to save the Shire... ...though there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of dragons might be good for them. But I don't feel like that now. I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again.
...'Of course, I have sometimes thought of going away, but I imagined... ...a series of adventures like Bilbo's or better, ending in peace. But this would mean exile, a flight from danger into danger, drawing it after me. And I suppose I must go alone... ...But I feel very small, and very uprooted, and well---desperate. The Enemy is so strong and terrible.'
...He did not tell Gandalf, but as he was speaking a great desire to follow Bilbo flamed up in his heart---to follow Bilbo, and even perhaps to find him again... ...he could almost have run out there and then down the road without his hat, as Bilbo had done on a similar morning long ago.
...'My dear Frodo!' exclaimed Gandalf. 'Hobbits really are amazing creatures... ...You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch. I hardly expected to get such an answer, not even from you. But Bilbo made no mistake in choosing his heir, though he little thought how important it would prove. I am afraid you are right. The Ring will not be able to stay hidden in the Shire much longer... ...you will have to go, and leave the name of Baggins behind you. That name will not be safe to have, outside the Shire or in the Wild."

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 16 2019, 10:23am

Post #27 of 27 (1229 views)
Shortcut
It's TIME for a bit more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well... this is the last of our special series of Book Spoilers. We've had a fresh look at the quality of Frodo Baggins (and Sam)... for our moment of Tolkien-zen.

April 12, 3018 (S.R. 1418) (pt. 5 of 5)
1. Gandalf reaches Hobbiton.
(from the appendices)
..."Suddenly he stopped as if listening. Frodo became aware that all was very quiet, inside and outside. Gandalf crept to one side of the window. Then with a dart he sprang to the sill, and thrust a long arm out and downwards. There was a squawk, and up came Sam Gamgee's curly head hauled by one ear.
...'Well, well, bless my beard!' said Gandalf. 'Sam Gamgee is it? Now what may you be doing?'
...'Lor bless you, Mr. Gandalf, sir!' said Sam. 'Nothing! ...I was just trimming the grass-border under the window, if you follow me.' He picked up the shears and exhibited them as evidence.
...'I don't,' said Gandalf grimly. 'It is some time since I last heard the sound of your shears. How long have you been eavesdropping?'
...'Eavesdropping, sir? ...begging your pardon. There ain't no eaves at Bag End, and that's a fact.'
...'Don't be a fool! What have you heard, and why did you listen?' Gandalf's eyes flashed and his brows stuck out like bristles.
...'Mr. Frodo, sir!' cried Sam quaking. 'Don't let him hurt me, sir! Don't let him turn me into anything unnatural! My old dad would take on so. I meant no harm, on my honour, sir!'
...'He won't hurt you,' said Frodo, hardly able to keep from laughing, although he was himself startled and rather puzzled. 'He knows... ...that you mean no harm. But just you up and answer his questions straight away!'
...'Well, sir,' said Sam, dithering a little. 'I heard a deal that I didn't rightly understand, about an enemy, and rings, and Mr. Bilbo, sir, and dragons, and a fiery mountain, and—and Elves, sir. I listened because I couldn't help myself, if you know what I mean. Lor bless me, sir, but I do love tales of that sort. And I believe them too, whatever Ted may say. Elves, sir! I would dearly love to see them. Couldn't you take me to see Elves, sir, when you go?'
...Suddenly Gandalf laughed. 'Come inside!' he shouted, and... ...he lifted the astonished Sam, shears, grass-clippings and all, right through the window and stood him on the floor. 'Take you to see Elves, eh?' he said, eyeing Sam closely, but with a smile flickering on his face. 'So you heard that Mr. Frodo is going away?'
...'I did, sir. And that's why I choked: which you heard seemingly. I tried not to, sir, but it burst out of me: I was so upset.'
...'It can't be helped Sam,' said Frodo sadly. He had suddenly realized that flying from the Shire would mean more painful partings than merely saying farewell to the familiar comforts of Bag End. 'I shall have to go. But'---and here he looked hard at Sam---'if you really care about me, you will keep that dead secret. See? ...if you even breathe a word of what you've heard here, then I hope Gandalf will turn you into a spotted toad and fill the garden full of grass-snakes.'
...Sam fell on his knees, trembling. 'Get up, Sam!' said Gandalf. 'I have thought of something better than that. Something to shut your mouth, and punish you properly for listening. You shall go away with Mr. Frodo!'
...'Me, sir!' cried Sam, springing up like a dog invited for a walk. 'Me go and see Elves and all! Hooray!' he shouted, and then burst into tears."

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.