Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Was this 1968 live video of Tolkien from BBC Archives already posted on TORn?

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Mar 31, 10:47am

Post #1 of 7 (1474 views)
Shortcut
Was this 1968 live video of Tolkien from BBC Archives already posted on TORn? Can't Post

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/watch-jrr-tolkien-confess-that-even-he-found-elvish-too-complicated
Sorry, I cannot come often enough anymore, I keep forgetting how to make a link out of an address, please someone help for this if this video hasn't been posted here yet... Smile

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 31, 1:31pm

Post #2 of 7 (1443 views)
Shortcut
Hot Link [In reply to] Can't Post

Here you go: https://www.syfy.com/...vish-too-complicated

Use 'url' and '/url' enclosed in brackets. I, at least, haven't seen this video before now.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Mar 31, 1:53pm

Post #3 of 7 (1435 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for being always so helpful, dear Otaku-sempai! And [In reply to] Can't Post

this link is really useful, then, if this great piece of BBC Archives wasn't yet known here... I personally found it quite interesting!...

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 1, 3:00am

Post #4 of 7 (1360 views)
Shortcut
That is delightful. Thanks for posting. // [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 1, 3:39am

Post #5 of 7 (1352 views)
Shortcut
My pleasure!// [In reply to] Can't Post

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 1, 5:44am

Post #6 of 7 (1347 views)
Shortcut
A reaction to the 'deplorable cultus'?... [In reply to] Can't Post

To see Tolkien in this video almost disavowing his own Elvish languages reminded me of the kind of reaction he had in his older age , trying to counteract the emergence of what he came to call 'the deplorable cultus' poured over his books by all sorts of fans from everywhere, to extents he would never have imagined - and was not approving of.
This interview is from 1968, that is, the later years indeed.
And yet, still later, when his wife Edith passed away, he did go back to almost total identification with the inner world expressed in his srories, adding on her tomb the name 'Luthien', and asking that to his own name would be added 'Beren' as well, when he too would die. And in his personal letters he writes of 'the inexorable Mandos' as if he is truly relating to that Mandos as a real being, not just a mere fictional character born in his own mind...How to interpret both those attitudes present together in Tolkien? I have my own interpretation, but would love to read about yours too, dear TORn sibs!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 10, 11:04am

Post #7 of 7 (1286 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think he ever believed what a torrent he has released!!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.