The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Amazon will not replace us?

squire
Half-elven

Mar 26 2019, 2:25am

Post #1 of 8 (2413 views)
Shortcut
Amazon will not replace us? Can't Post

With all respect for individual posters, imagine things can only get uglier on the thread linked below. An acronym didn't mean anything to me on first reading, but now that I've looked it up and read Eldy's more informed research, I don't see much future for this thread [link removed]. What do you all think?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Mar 27 2019, 1:16am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 26 2019, 4:14am

Post #2 of 8 (2332 views)
Shortcut
Thanks squire - we're watching it. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 27 2019, 1:15am

Post #3 of 8 (2257 views)
Shortcut
Quite right [In reply to] Can't Post

There's not much future for it, in fact, there's none at all. It's been removed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 27 2019, 3:32am

Post #4 of 8 (2230 views)
Shortcut
. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

(This post was edited by N.E. Brigand on Mar 27 2019, 3:36am)

Plurmo
Rohan

Mar 27 2019, 8:14pm

Post #5 of 8 (2110 views)
Shortcut
Very informative.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2019, 9:10pm

Post #6 of 8 (1753 views)
Shortcut
More political dog whistles [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the similar post we had about this earlier in the week was deleted along with all its replies I don't necessarily want to reply in-thread this time, but I'm concerned by the trend (more prominent elsewhere than on TORn) of people using the upcoming Amazon series to make barely-veiled complaints about the presence of women, people of color, and LGBT people in cultural spaces.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=959487#959487

Prepare for all kinds of pandering to people that won't even watch the show! The funny thing is that it will turn off the actual fans having the current agendas rammed down our throats Mad I hate when real life issues invade our living rooms.

I'm really grateful that this is relatively uncommon on TORn, but it's unfortunately an endemic feature of LOTR discussions in a lot of other venues and is only becoming more common as the Amazon series gets closer. I understand and respect that TORn is a generally politics-free board, but this stuff gets brought up apropos of nothing (we have yet to see any evidence that Amazon either will or will not take the approach some people are worried about) and it's honestly kind of exhausting coming on here to talk about Tolkien and instead getting to hear about how the visible existence of people like me is an affront to "actual fans".

(This post was edited by Eldy on Mar 31 2019, 9:13pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Apr 2 2019, 6:05pm

Post #7 of 8 (1566 views)
Shortcut
Semi-off-topic sub-threads happen all the time [In reply to] Can't Post

That sub-thread is a case in point. A statement was expressed which prompted an interesting and civil sub-discussion. That's what the forums are here for!

I see nothing untoward in the quoted text. If we start deleting people's opinions we won't have any discussion left! It's difficult if not impossible to know someone's motives or intent on the internet, so the best approach I've found (and one that keeps the ulcers away) is to give them a wide benefit of a doubt - just like you'd want someone to do for you if you accidentally offended someone here.

Just because someone's buttons get pushed doesn't meet the other person intended to push them. What I've found here at TORn is that we're lucky to have a very intelligent and friendly crowd of people who go out of their way *not* to offend others. Disagree with them, yes. Purposely offend them, no.

Unless someone calls out something specifically, it's impossible for anyone to know what they truly meant, and it's unfair to them to make assumptions about their motives. To go a step further and begin labeling them and lumping them in with 'people out there' we don't like, is us being as bad as the 'people we don't like' doing it to us.

You absolutely did the right thing to bring this up here on Feedback. I'd encourage you to approach people's posts as *not* intended to offend, because 99% of the time here that's what they are. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2019, 7:44pm

Post #8 of 8 (1548 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the explanation // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.