The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Heads Up, m'sibbies!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 19 2019, 7:33pm

Post #1 of 25 (3981 views)
Shortcut
Heads Up, m'sibbies! Can't Post

We have a pretty historic party coming up, and you're participation is much welcome!

Our 20th TORniversary is coming up real soon on April 26th... a very special Founders Day! It falls on a Friday... so Fiesta will be ROCKING!

I wanted to give you lots of time to prepare, if you please, with a game or a mathom of any kind. And please reach out to any wayward sibbies you know of who would like to share in this Epic Anniversary! If you already know what you'd like to do, feel free to share it here. Similar games or activities are very welcome :D

I'll be back with some more of the plans in a couple of weeks. Can you believe it!? TWENTY YEARS!!!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

squire
Half-elven

Mar 20 2019, 11:55pm

Post #2 of 25 (3882 views)
Shortcut
To mix it up a bit, [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be glad to come up with a Special Quiz - this time, though, it will be multiple choice. Easier than the traditional open answer, or not? We'll see!

How exciting to think that this place has been going since 1999. [Wait, are they going to be partying like it's 1999?] I think I found TORn in 2004, which seems like forever ago - but there was five years of history and chat and snark already at that point. Looking forward to this, thanks, gramma!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 21 2019, 2:30am

Post #3 of 25 (3858 views)
Shortcut
Party like it's 1999, fersher! [In reply to] Can't Post

imho... we've been doing one big 20-year party :D My biggest challenge when I found TORn was figuring out which Board to post on with what!

A Special Quiz sounds GREAT! Sometimes our ideas take on a life of their own. Let's see where this takes you... I know it'll be fabulous! THANKS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 21 2019, 10:27am

Post #4 of 25 (3835 views)
Shortcut
20 years?! That will be party of special magnificence! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm dry with ideas at the moment, but do let me know if there is anything I can help with. Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 21 2019, 1:20pm

Post #5 of 25 (3815 views)
Shortcut
You got it :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy to see you!

If you think of something you want to do later, just go ahead and post on the day or over the weekend. We'll probably stick to Main, Off Topic and Reading Room Boards

THANKS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dormouse
Half-elven

Mar 21 2019, 7:06pm

Post #6 of 25 (3809 views)
Shortcut
20 years - crumbs!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't think of anything immediately but I'd love to help - to be involved in some way

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 21 2019, 9:16pm

Post #7 of 25 (3803 views)
Shortcut
2003, actually. [In reply to] Can't Post

You were here about a month before me, so roughly November of that year.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 21 2019, 10:52pm

Post #8 of 25 (3785 views)
Shortcut
Sweeeeet! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure it will be brilliant! I'm still thinking about mine, too ;) THANKS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Mar 23 2019, 9:49am

Post #9 of 25 (3704 views)
Shortcut
Oooh...! Open invitation to submit limericks or haikus maybe? [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 23 2019, 12:33pm

Post #10 of 25 (3698 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely :D [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as you like! It wouldn't be a proper party without haikus, limericks, drabbles and anything else we can abuse... I mean... do :D
THANKS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Mar 23 2019, 12:34pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 24 2019, 2:19am

Post #11 of 25 (3686 views)
Shortcut
Aaaahhhh! :p [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

I'm getting so old....Crazy Laugh

If I recall correctly, I stumbled onto TORn as a lurker in 2002 (I wouldn't join and post for the first time until 2009). Hard to believe the site only existed for 3 years prior. Even then, it felt like this place was absolutely central to Tolkien fandom.

20 years! *sigh* It's still the most pleasant place on the internet (in fact moreso now). I smile every time I log on. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Mar 24 2019, 2:20am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 24 2019, 12:02pm

Post #12 of 25 (3650 views)
Shortcut
I know... right?! [In reply to] Can't Post

But... we're not getting older!! Only that person in the mirror is :D

I've been working on a timeline of TORn action over these 20 years, and geez... we've been busy! There's no place like home :D *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

squire
Half-elven

Mar 24 2019, 9:28pm

Post #13 of 25 (3642 views)
Shortcut
Ack! Is there nowhere to run? Nowhere to hide? [In reply to] Can't Post

How the heck do you remember this stuff?

Actually, I do remember your appearance in those golden years, even if I've forgotten the date. You got one of my abstruse jokes based on an infamous quote by Himmler, of all things, and you urged me to stick to my guns regarding ear shape in a debate with the Titans of the board... Well, we were so much older then, we're younger than that now.

What would we have done all these years without your ability to 'find that post'?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Mar 24 2019, 9:54pm

Post #14 of 25 (3634 views)
Shortcut
As for remembering things... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have saved, from the old boards, a great sequence of Middle Earth puns from 2002/3. Only snag is, they head off to the right of the page and then there are pages of just one letter per line! Argh. One day when I'm feeling verrry patient I might try to sort that out, because they are very funny and would be good to share; just reading the user names is a real trip down Memory Lane. I also have saved a load of haikus from people saluting the departure of the old boards. Suitable for the 20th anniversary, maybe?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 25 2019, 12:32am

Post #15 of 25 (3624 views)
Shortcut
I remember those haikus! [In reply to] Can't Post

'Sibs were doing all sorts of tributes to the Old Boards. What a great idea, bringing back some of those!

Hey, maybe you could start a new Middle-earth Puns thread?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 25 2019, 12:38am

Post #16 of 25 (3624 views)
Shortcut
*eyes pop* Who are you people? [In reply to] Can't Post

;) I envy anyone with any kind of memory!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 25 2019, 1:15am

Post #17 of 25 (3622 views)
Shortcut
How perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

To have some of the old puns and stuff would be wonderful!

Now... This sometimes works for me when I have old TORn post doing what you've described.

Try changing the Page Layout orientation from Portrait to Landscape and make your font smaller. No promises... but it'll shift the indents enough to save some of it... I hope :) Maybe even change the margins so it scrunches the text in and hopefully changes the indents.

Whatever you decide to do will be awesome! If you want to do 2 or more threads with different themes, that would be great, too :) Especially if its oldies/goodies retro stuff. Maybe something in different Boards?

Thanks so much! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Mar 25 2019, 10:50am

Post #18 of 25 (3603 views)
Shortcut
Managed to tidy the pun page last night [In reply to] Can't Post

with a lot of cutting and pasting. Should be a good thing for the anniversary. Funnily enough, it was I who started the punning on the thread! The haikus will be good to post too.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 25 2019, 2:50pm

Post #19 of 25 (3589 views)
Shortcut
*high five* Well Done! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 26 2019, 4:53pm

Post #20 of 25 (3562 views)
Shortcut
No, I can't believe it's been 20 years! [In reply to] Can't Post

I certainly don't feel that much older...Angelic

I just came up with an idea for a fun post (unless someone beats me to it). It was inspired by a discussion over on the Amazon TV series board. Laugh

I might also re-post one of Roheryn's logic puzzles from the Old Boards (I had printed out a few of those, and have been posting them on occasion). Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 27 2019, 10:15am

Post #21 of 25 (3529 views)
Shortcut
Fun posts are MOST welcome! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

One can never have enough fun!!! *tossessessesss confetti* And puzzling logic by Roheryn's mind is sweeeeeet!

Thank you! :D *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 28 2019, 6:28am

Post #22 of 25 (3505 views)
Shortcut
I'm going to keep telling myself that.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

It is starting to get less humorous, though, seeing the things that are starting to celebrate their 20th+ anniversaries as each year passes by. My folks tell me it's going to get worse, of which I'm starting to understand with perfect clarity. Laugh

I remember when the Star Wars Special Editions came out in 1997 for the 20th Anniversary of the original, and as far as I was concerned (at 13 years of age), those were "really old movies". Now here we are, 20 years after Episode I. In two years, it'll be twenty years since Fellowship - which I remember sitting in the theater watching like it was yesterday. I mean....good god. Crazy Wink

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Mar 28 2019, 6:29am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 28 2019, 12:55pm

Post #23 of 25 (3487 views)
Shortcut
It's like whiplash! [In reply to] Can't Post

*THWAK!* What was that?

20 years, dude!

I saw Star Wars at the theatre 1977. The first time I went to a movie multiple times. It really does seem like yesterday!

I tell my kids/g'kids that you know you're getting old when you refer to things in decades instead of years... which my 2 kids do ;)

Bob Seger did a song in 1986 about it that still gives me goosebumps and makes me teary-eyed. Like a Rock. That's him in this 1994 video. So much expression and passion in his songs. He's a Michigan treasure born and raised and still lives here. Seger's such an icon of my senior year in high school, 20s, and following years of life... his voice, his solid rock n roll, his look and joy of youth & life... he captures what life in the 70s was for me (18yo-28 and beyond).

I have to say, though... Tolkien was right when he revealed that a hobbit's adventures start when they turn 50. In 2002 I turned 50 just weeks after finding TORn. I stepped out of my door and into the Road... and my life hasn't been the same!! Since then, I have had the best years ever! It's true the body doesn't cooperate with the imagination and spirit that still thrives; but for me, the trade-off is worth it :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

DanielLB
Immortal

Mar 28 2019, 7:50pm

Post #24 of 25 (3426 views)
Shortcut
It is good to be back. [In reply to] Can't Post

I might do something like the game I did for Christmas 2016. It might be fun to randomly delve into forum posts for the 20th.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 29 2019, 12:21am

Post #25 of 25 (3388 views)
Shortcut
Good Choice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think picking and planning is the fun part :D THANKS!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.