Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Age of characters

Akhnaten
The Shire

Mar 17 2019, 9:47pm

Post #1 of 7 (1737 views)
Shortcut
Age of characters Can't Post

I remember the issue with Stuart Townsend was that he was just too young (at 27) to be Aragorn who, although had another 120 years left in his lifespan, was starting to show some grey.

So it will be interesting to see how they interpret the ages of the main characters when making casting decisions. If I understand it correctly, Númenóreans before the shadow died willingly before they became withered and infirm so by the time of the Last Alliance, Elendil would still be considerably hale, probably in his late 40s or early 50s. Isildur I kind of see as being someone in his early 30s

Similarly, if they make Gil Galad and Elrond POV characters, would they cast someone in their late 30s like Hugo Weaving or go younger, given that Gil Galad and Elrond would be considered quite young (Gil Galad being less than 200 and Elrond 50) at the start of the Sdcond Age.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Mar 17 2019, 11:09pm

Post #2 of 7 (1703 views)
Shortcut
The ages I imagine... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gil-galad: an actor in his mid to late 20s
Elrond: 20 - 25
Galadriel: 30s (I imagine she should be something like an older sister to Gil-galad: even though she's his cousin)
Elendil: depends on when he enters the story, but I imagine him late 40s or early 50s.
Isildur: mid 20s
Annatar: 20s to 40s (ageless, hard to tell what age he is)
Celebrimbor: early 50s
Ar-Pharazon: 30s
Miriel: 20 - 25
Celeborn: 30s
Thranduil: mid 20s
Oropher: 60 or older

Those are basically what I would imagine.

"We are Kree"

InTheChair
Lorien

Mar 22 2019, 10:34pm

Post #3 of 7 (1453 views)
Shortcut
Only preference but... [In reply to] Can't Post

For Elrond I think they should have an actor in his mid 40:s.
For Galadriel an actress in her early 40:s might be suitable.
Celeborn and Thranduil probably around the same.

Aragorn and Arwen would need a younger actor and a younger actress. Early thirties and Mid twenties maybe.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Mar 22 2019, 10:41pm

Post #4 of 7 (1454 views)
Shortcut
I don't think we'll be seeing Aragorn and Arwen? [In reply to] Can't Post

The show seems to be set in the Second Age, according to all reports now. So we would be getting younger versions of Elrond, Galadriel, Celeborn and Thranduil.

"We are Kree"

Akhnaten
The Shire

Mar 28 2019, 7:18pm

Post #5 of 7 (1228 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

Cate Blanchett and Marton Csokas were in their early 30s when they did LOTR so They'd probably be in the same age range.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Mar 28 2019, 7:46pm

Post #6 of 7 (1222 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

"We are Kree"

Archestratie
Rivendell

Mar 29 2019, 1:00pm

Post #7 of 7 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Cate Blanchett and Marton Csokas were in their early 30s when they did LOTR so They'd probably be in the same age range.

They'll never age as far as I'm concerned.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.