OK, after nearly 24 hours....
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

hatster
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 1:38pm

Post #1 of 60 (2216 views)
Shortcut
OK, after nearly 24 hours.... Can't Post

What are the top two or three things you like the most about the new boards and what two or three do you wish you could change?

Stuff I'm so glad to see:
  • Edit feature
  • Search
  • No more baaaaaaaad spell check
Stuff I wish I could change
  • order in which posts appear (this one is just a matter of time, but I still tend to look at the top for the latest posts in a thread)
  • Missing left hand links that let me move from board to board
  • I miss modding Evil

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

(This post was edited by hatster on Feb 18 2007, 1:39pm)

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 1:41pm

Post #2 of 60 (1826 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hatster] OK, after nearly 24 hours.... [In reply to] Can't Post

As for post order, just click on Age (Creation) and make it become Age (Activity). That should do the trick. I had the same concern (which I voiced on the Feedback forum) and Altaira quickly explained (whilst whittling her FAQ stick in my face).

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

hatster
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 2:04pm

Post #3 of 60 (1788 views)
Shortcut
nope, that is for the list of threads within a forum [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm looking to change the behavior of the responses within the threads. It is really NO BIGGIE... just something I need to adjust to Cool

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

(This post was edited by hatster on Feb 18 2007, 2:08pm)

Alnilam
Rivendell

Feb 18 2007, 2:16pm

Post #4 of 60 (1780 views)
Shortcut
Re: [hatster] nope, that is for the list of threads within a forum [In reply to] Can't Post

You could try setting it to go to the first new post when you click on a thread.

The nice thing is that the posts you haven't read yet show up in bold, so that's cool.

What I would like to see, and it's something I use a lot at the other boards I go to, is a link on the main page that says "View posts since your last visit". When you click on that, it compiles a list of all the posts on every board that have had replies since the last time I read the boards.

I know this would be a lot of posts in a board like this, but it's a handy feature.

Alnilam's Realm
From the Old TORN Boards:
Top 5 Browsers/OSs:

1. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (1568)
2. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (890)
3. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (464)
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98 (175)
5. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (136)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 2:39pm

Post #5 of 60 (1802 views)
Shortcut
I'm actually glad modding is gone [In reply to] Can't Post

but I haven't yet figured out what to do if we get an actual troll who requires down-modding. Modding had become a popularity contest with many people and I won't miss that at all.

Here's what I'm really liking so far:
  • I love the smilies and the post mark-ups.
  • I LOVE the edit feature.
  • Love the avatars and footers that everyone's got now.
  • I LOVE the Off-Topic forum, and not just because I can bore all of you with my new condo.
  • I like all the editor features I can use to change font, color, etc. I'm not that great with html tags and this is so much better.
  • I like seeing all the activity on one page so I know where there are new posts
  • I like the fact that the timer is gone, so if I'm working on a list of features I like and dislike I don't have to keep an eye on the clock

Here's what I'm still getting used to:
  • I feel pressured to have a cool avatar and/or signature which I never felt on the old boards
  • I'm still playing around with some of the features and it's strange to not know how to do something

There's a lot I like, and not much yet that I don't like. The designers have worked very hard to make these boards feel like home, and I'm so grateful.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

a.s.
Valinor

Feb 18 2007, 4:14pm

Post #6 of 60 (1803 views)
Shortcut
I frankly miss plain vanilla [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What are the top two or three things you like the most about the new boards and what two or three do you wish you could change?

It takes longer to read. I had time yesterday, and had a lot of fun looking around and figuring stuff out. Those kind of days are very rare in my life, though (unfortunately). It's why I never had time to participate much on Main to begin with, not lack of interest or lack of enjoyment-of-good-times. I really only have time (barely) to make it to the RR and read the posts there most days. I can't even make it to the RR sometimes.

So I am really missing the plainness of the old RR, the layout of the posts, and the "cleaner" interface. I like the old days of discussion boards, when that was all it was: discussion. No icons. ASCII smilies only. No html, footers only in text, etc.

I'm a Neanderthal, in other words.

However, I really LOVE one thing, and that is the ability to view a thread in "flat mode". I really like this feature, although it is confusing as to who responded to whom (I probably haven't figured that out yet) forcing me to flip back to threaded mode to figure out which response is to which subheading, etc. But it's better than the old "collate responses" on the old Torn boards (wah! I hate saying that) because you can see ALL the subthreads together.

I know most of the younger crowd (don't shoot me! I'm not stereotyping!) who came online in the "advanced" days of these kinds of discussion boards feel more at home than many of us old-timers (well, me, I mean!! just me!!). While I'm enjoying the bells and whistles, I think since I will mainly be in the RR (look, a pun!) I don't need the bells and whistles, and in some ways they are distracting.

However (my second however!!) I really REALLY REALLY love not having my post disappear when I forget to click "save" or "post with preview" etc. THANKS PTB!!

I'm sure there's more stuff I love, I just need to find it.

Besides the smilies. We all know I love smilies for "tone". And now my ASCII smilies have been personalized. How great!

Heart Cool Heart a.s. (in obvious need of a 12-step program for smilie-abusers!!)

"an seileachan"

The Lost Mod Power: An Elegy (with apologies to Wordsworth)

What though the mod power which was once so bright
Be now FOREVER taken from my sight,
Though nothing can bring back the hour
Of splendor in the stats, of glory in the power,
We will grieve not, rather find
Strength in what remains behind.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 18 2007, 5:01pm

Post #7 of 60 (1786 views)
Shortcut
in the middle... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm kind of in the middle of both ends. I always felt the old boards to be more difficult to maneuver than other boards I'd used. I began to think the format was keeping me from connecting as well as I might. I didn't like certain aspects at all. And I had figured out quite a few different board formats so I should be ready to take on this one. (and, just for the record, I'm old... old enough for sags and wrinkles and grey hair... and I hate change)

So I was surprised at how 'off kilter' I felt here yesterday. I would go back to the old boards just to check for new posts and there's was a certain sigh of comfortable familiarity. I had grown more used to those boards than I had realized and I will miss them. And I'm finding these boards, will all the wonderful, tremendous work put in them to make them workable for both worlds... are an interesting hybrid of all the other boards I've visited.

So, I'm not entirely comfortable. And I was a newbie in the TORn world. I'm sure it's a feeling more pronounced for some who lived at the old boards longer than I.

But I'm already finding tricks to make the boards work for me. When I think I've read everything I want to read at a visit, I go to the bottom of the main index page and click: = Forum has new posts - Mark all read
Then when I visit next time, the new posts/threads are labeled as being newer than my last visit.

On the main index page, if a board indicates one new post, I don't even open up the board. I just click on the arrow and jump right to that post. But if it indicates more than one, or a new thread, I open up the board into a threaded view so I can see which threads the new posts are in and which threads are new. And I realized that one can open the board and see just the thread titles... and then click on a title to see the posts. Or one can open the board and click the "expand all threads" button. (and, of course.... the fact that the threads don't automatically expand is a preference I've set. your preference may be different).

I usually like reading threads in flat mode but I'm realizing one reason it's not working so well (at the moment) here. Most regular posters using a flat thread mode board know that one has to reference the post one might be referring to... either by using the quote feature, addressing it to the previous poster, or just restating the pertinent point. I think most TORn forum members are used to having it very clear which post one is replying to so they're not so used to doing that. As we all get used to the different needs of this board, I think that will change. But for the moment, if I read something that is an obvious response to someone else but I can't figure out who, I use my handy Firefox 'right click > open in new tab' function on the [In reply to] link next to the subject title. Then I can read that earlier post without losing my place in the thread's post queue.

Although I'm not very comfortable with this in practice, I know that mucking around in something, getting frustrated and then figuring it out, is often the best way of learning new skills. I love writing out directions, thinking they'll be wonderfully useful, and then never read other people's directions myself.

As to the bells and whistles, it can be fun to have an avatar... and a footer. But especially in this flat thread mode they can become annoying to me quickly if the footers are too big and the replies too short. I've seen forums where the replies in a thread run only 1 or 2 sentences long, but each footer is so big only a handful of posts fit on a page. There is the option, I believe, in preferences, to 'turn off' footers and avatars. I will do that in some forums. Avatars can be useful to put a face on someone. I might not remember the difference between Aerlinn and Aerin by textual 'name'... but I might remember the difference with the visual avatar prompts. (And just for the record... I know do know the difference between Aelinn and Aerin! Smile

DJ Mix for Inaugural Celebration at:
http://www.geocities.com/magpie930/music.htm

no longer just aMagpie... I'm now *the* Magpie

diedye
Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 5:40pm

Post #8 of 60 (1765 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that's my #1 complaint... [In reply to] Can't Post

... having to go to the main menu to switch forums.

Well, actually, the smilies are my #1 complaint... but that's just going to make it more fun to smuggle some rather "unique" ones from the outside world.

*cough*

Alnilam
Rivendell

Feb 18 2007, 5:52pm

Post #9 of 60 (1760 views)
Shortcut
Re: [diedye] Yeah, that's my #1 complaint... [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually, you don't have to do that.
If you look at the bottom of the page when you are in a forum or a post, there's a drop down menu where you can select the forum you want to go to and then click on "jump to Forum". Instant Teleport.

In Reply To
... having to go to the main menu to switch forums.

Well, actually, the smilies are my #1 complaint... but that's just going to make it more fun to smuggle some rather "unique" ones from the outside world.

*cough*

Alnilam's Realm
From the Old TORN Boards:
Top 5 Browsers/OSs:

1. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (1568)
2. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (890)
3. Microsoft Internet Explorer V6.0 using Windows 98 (464)
4. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.0 using Windows 98 (175)
5. Microsoft Internet Explorer V5.5 using Windows 98 (136)

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 6:05pm

Post #10 of 60 (1734 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad I read your post. [In reply to] Can't Post

You have some great tips in there for navigating the boards that I hadn't thought of.

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but then I had liposuction.

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 18 2007, 6:35pm

Post #11 of 60 (1830 views)
Shortcut
To: [Galadriel] - good. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You have some great tips in there for navigating the boards that I hadn't thought of.

And I just used the 'right click > open in new tab' on the 'in reply to link' to see who you were talking to. Cool

And I'm experimenting with changing the subject. It had read:
Re: [Galadriel] I'm glad I read your post.

I changed it to
To: [Galadriel] - glad to be helpful.

galad... glad... galad... glad... *skips off sing songing*

DJ Mix for Inaugural Celebration at:
http://www.geocities.com/magpie930/music.htm

no longer just aMagpie... I'm now *the* Magpie

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 18 2007, 6:42pm

Post #12 of 60 (1721 views)
Shortcut
Great suggestoins, Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

(You don't know how difficult it is not to automatically put that 'a' in thereSmile).

Thanks for sharing your secrets. I'll make a note of these and other suggestions and may incorporate them into the FAQ at a later date. (I may also eventually move this thread to Feedback).

I also wanted to reiterate what Alni pointed out that the "Jump to Forum" option at the bottom of the board will allow people to go to any forum from any other forum without having to go back to the Main Menu. It's a new option that KiKn didn't have and I love it!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

(This post was edited by Altaira on Feb 18 2007, 7:18pm)

hatster
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 7:09pm

Post #13 of 60 (1764 views)
Shortcut
I am glad for the "jump to" .... [In reply to] Can't Post

ahhhhhhhhh there always has to be a but.... I still keep going for the left side. Partly because of old bad habit, Partly because I always managed to think of the old boards as part of the whole site (even though I realize they were a separate module), and partly because..... well I really only got to see the home page when I goofed and clicked the wrong link on the menu ShockedCool

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 7:58pm

Post #14 of 60 (1743 views)
Shortcut
I'm feeling really discombobulated [In reply to] Can't Post

especially when I read these posts about 'click this' and 'go here' and I can't find anything that correlates to that.

One thing that is really bugging me is that the post text runs off the right-hand side and I constantly have to move it over to see it all. I would like to be able to move that left-hand margin a little to prevent that.

There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark.

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 18 2007, 8:17pm

Post #15 of 60 (1702 views)
Shortcut
What is your screen resolution? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're using anything less than 1024 x 768 you'll have to scroll. To figure that out, go to your desktop, right click, choose "Properties" then the "Settings" tab.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Feb 18 2007, 8:22pm

Post #16 of 60 (1700 views)
Shortcut
Well, that worked [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think I will just have to remember to change that when I come here since it affects a bunch of other stuff that hurts my eyes, even if I change the text size. Thanks. I should have thought of that, because I have to do that with certain applications at work.

There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark.

hatster
Rohan

Feb 18 2007, 9:17pm

Post #17 of 60 (1688 views)
Shortcut
you should be able to adjust things to be bigger for you [In reply to] Can't Post

and not just fonts. In the area where you change resolutions you may see an "advanced" button. If you have that you should see a place where you can change the dpi of your monitor. Mine defaults at 96 dpi and I am fairly comfortable even with terrible eyesight. I like the higher resolution simply because I need to get lots on the screen at once. The dpi adjustment can give me the best of both worlds when pressed

Entwife Wandlimb
Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 9:39pm

Post #18 of 60 (1698 views)
Shortcut
Re: [entmaiden] I'm actually glad modding is gone [In reply to] Can't Post

• I feel pressured to have a cool avatar and/or signature which I never felt on the old boards

• As a matter of fact, I've been admiring your avatar!

Entwife Wandlimb
    Lorien

Feb 18 2007, 9:46pm

Post #19 of 60 (1678 views)
    Shortcut
    Now that I am in the Off Topic board, I feel free to comment OT [In reply to] Can't Post

No guilt for discussing Battlestar Galactica or Heroes! Hee.

Hatster, everytime I see your charming avatar I am reminded of one of my own cats.

Aerin
    Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 10:21pm

Post #20 of 60 (1651 views)
    Shortcut
    You too? [In reply to] Can't Post

When I complained about the text running off the right edge, no one knew what I was talking about. It seems to be a browser thing.

Aerin
    Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 10:25pm

Post #21 of 60 (1663 views)
    Shortcut
    Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you know which of the A's I am! ;-)

Aerin
    Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 10:27pm

Post #22 of 60 (1679 views)
    Shortcut
    Plus, [In reply to] Can't Post

the browser window needs to be maximized.

What I still can't figure out is why some posts rewrap when I make the window narrower, and others don't. From everything I've seen so far, that shouldn't be happening; they should all behave the same.

Aerin
    Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 10:36pm

Post #23 of 60 (1672 views)
    Shortcut
    This applies only to Windows, of course [NT] [In reply to] Can't Post

Aerin
    Grey Havens

Feb 18 2007, 10:37pm

Post #24 of 60 (1696 views)
    Shortcut
    How about a regular BSG thread? [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely as many folks here watch Galactica as Lost. No?

entmaiden
    Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 10:41pm

Post #25 of 60 (1688 views)
    Shortcut
    Well..... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a Ted Nasmith original, which I own! It's very small, like 1 inch by 1 inch, and it's called Brooch. It's beautifully framed in a 5 in by 5 inch frame so it's not absurdly tiny on my fireplace mantel.

I'm so glad you liked it - I absolutely love it. I'm a Nasmith fangirl, and he's signed my illustrated Silmarillion.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
    `Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
    `I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
    Balin Bows

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.