Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Awful, awful news from Christchurch.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 15, 2:29am

Post #1 of 103 (739 views)
Shortcut
Awful, awful news from Christchurch. Can't Post

I'm shaking too much to write coherently. There's been a shooting attack - two attacks - on mosques in the city. It's still unclear how many casualties. Shooter or shooters not yet apprehended, as far as I know.

This is so very much not what we're used to in our country.

Please keep those caught up in this in your thoughts.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 15, 2:51am

Post #2 of 103 (498 views)
Shortcut
I admit I was in tears in the car [In reply to] Can't Post

as the news was breaking. How could this be happening here? I'm still trying to get my head around it.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Mar 15, 2:52am

Post #3 of 103 (495 views)
Shortcut
I just saw this and was going to post. Has Starling [In reply to] Can't Post

been in touch with you at all?

As if Christchurch hadn't had its fill of tragedy already.

Prayer, many prayers.

Do keep us posted, Kimi, if you can, on any sibs in the area. I'm worried about Starlings students.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Mar 15, 2:55am

Post #4 of 103 (498 views)
Shortcut
I wish I knew what to say. [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart

The shock waves aren't like anything else. Like tearing the fabric of the universe or something--such things should not be.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 15, 2:57am

Post #5 of 103 (493 views)
Shortcut
They'll all be safe in their classroom. [In reply to] Can't Post

All schools are in lockdown and people have been told to get off the streets. I'm sure she'll be in touch once she's able to - but it's a hell of a thing to go through. It's just so far beyond comprehension.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 15, 2:58am

Post #6 of 103 (481 views)
Shortcut
Hear hear. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 15, 3:08am

Post #7 of 103 (496 views)
Shortcut
Latest: [In reply to] Can't Post

Multiple fatalities confirmed. One person in custody, but at least one other offender believed to be active.

My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Mar 15, 3:09am

Post #8 of 103 (507 views)
Shortcut
My kids are caught up in it. [In reply to] Can't Post

All Christchurch schools are in lockdown, and have been advised by the Ministry of Education that this is likely to be a "prolonged" lockdown, whatever that means. Elanor and Eldarion the Younger are at schools in Christchurch right now. Eldarion the Elder, thankfully, goes to a school closer to our home; I spoke with him about 20 minutes ago. He said they had gone into lockdown earlier, but police had decided the risk in that area was minimal, and so let the school end lockdown and kids get to come home -- while being told in no uncertain terms to completely avoid going in to Christchurch. Eldarion the Elder was shaken and very glad to be coming home soon. I'm so grateful right now that we live out of the city, and like thousands of other parents, I'm utterly stressed at not being able to bring all my kids home right now. What a horrible thing to have happen here. I'm also extremely grateful to the hundreds of teachers around the city who are doing their absolute best to keep the kids safe and occupied right now. They are all heroes.

NZS is in Christchurch, fortunately (?) not locked down anywhere, and is anxious to collect kids and come home. His office is very close to where some of the shootings were reported, and I am extremely grateful he wasn't in his office this afternoon.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 15, 3:12am

Post #9 of 103 (490 views)
Shortcut
Oh, Ro, so glad to hear from you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for checking in, and I hope it won't be too long before you're all together again. Though it'll seem an age, however long it is.

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Mar 15, 3:15am

Post #10 of 103 (486 views)
Shortcut
So sorry to hear this [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm praying for you all.

Where's Frodo?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 15, 3:22am

Post #11 of 103 (488 views)
Shortcut
*massive hugs* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so pleased you checked in with us and that everyone's safe, if not at home with you.

I've had to turn off the radio. The updates and new information were getting more disturbing, but it appears that the police are very much in control of the situation, albeit still hunting for more shooters.

Keep taking deep breaths, Ro. And you're very much in my thoughts. Heart

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 15, 3:33am

Post #12 of 103 (491 views)
Shortcut
From the Prime Minister: [In reply to] Can't Post

"Presently the Police do have one suspect in custody. However there could be others involved. Also there are multiple scenes involved in this incident as well," Ardern said.

"It is clear that this is one of New Zealand's darkest days.

"This is an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence."

Ardern says many of those in the mosque were likely to be migrants - but they were "us" - New Zealanders. The shooter was not, she says.

"The people who were the subject of this attack today: New Zealand is their home. They should be safe here.

"There is no place in New Zealand for extreme violence."

Ataahua's stories

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Mar 15, 4:02am

Post #13 of 103 (483 views)
Shortcut
I heard the news and rushed to TORn [In reply to] Can't Post

even though I haven't been here much lately. My heart is so much with all of you in NZ, and especially those in Christchurch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Mar 15, 4:54am

Post #14 of 103 (471 views)
Shortcut
School lockdowns lifted now. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kids are finally being released from their schools, at nearly 6 pm. So glad they're finally getting to come home. Every single teacher in Christchurch is a hero for going so far above and beyond the normal call of duty today.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 15, 5:12am

Post #15 of 103 (461 views)
Shortcut
terrible news [In reply to] Can't Post

so saddened by this.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 15, 5:17am

Post #16 of 103 (461 views)
Shortcut
Heartbreaking news [In reply to] Can't Post

B.G and I are following the news minute-by-minute, and are torn between being glad friends and family are safe, and being in shock over the heartbreaking losses.

Hugs and support to all Kiwis everywhere. Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 15, 5:39am

Post #17 of 103 (451 views)
Shortcut
Too awful for words. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Mar 15, 6:06am

Post #18 of 103 (451 views)
Shortcut
Beyond words... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm at a loss of what to say right now. It's all just so horrifying. Unsure

My love to everyone in NZ right now...Heart

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 15, 6:07am

Post #19 of 103 (461 views)
Shortcut
Words fail. [In reply to] Can't Post

All fourteen of them. Again. So awful. What a monstrosity.

Tolkien made a point that fools like this will never grasp: "But it is not your own Shire. Others dwelt here before ... and others will dwell here again".

My deepest sympathies to everyone in Christchurch and especially the victims and those who knew them.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

cats16
Valinor

Mar 15, 6:13am

Post #20 of 103 (451 views)
Shortcut
I have no words [In reply to] Can't Post

Pure evil. My heart is with everyone in Christchurch. I am available if anyone needs someone to talk to.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 15, 6:54am

Post #21 of 103 (445 views)
Shortcut
Update: Starling's back home. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank goodness. I bet Midgey will give her a long hug.

Ataahua's stories

cats16
Valinor

Mar 15, 7:08am

Post #22 of 103 (434 views)
Shortcut
Good! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the update.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 15, 7:16am

Post #23 of 103 (440 views)
Shortcut
Message from Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern just now: [In reply to] Can't Post

Ms Ardern said she had spoken to Christchurch mayor Lianne Dalziel and intended to speak to the imam, but first she had a message for those directly affected:

"In fact I'm sure right now New Zealand would like me to share a message on their behalf too.

"Our thoughts and our prayers are with those who have been impacted today. Christchurch was the home of these victims. For many, New Zealand was not the place they were born, in fact for many New Zealand was their choice. It was the place they committed themselves to, where they were raising their families, where they were part of communities that they loved and who loved them. It was a place that many came to for its safety, a place where they were free to practice their culture and their religion.

"For those of you who are watching at home tonight and questioning how this could have happened here, we, New Zealand, we are not a target because we are a safe harbour for those who hate, we were not chosen for this violence because we condone racism, because we are an enclave for extremism, we were chosen for the fact we represent none of these things. Because we represent diversity, kindness, compassion, a home for those who share our values, refuge for those who need it.

"And those values, I can assure you, will not and cannot be shaken by this attack. We are a proud nation of more than 200 ethnicities, 160 languages and amongst that diversity we share common values and the one that we place the currency on right now and tonight is our compassion and the support for the community of those directly affected by this tragedy

"Secondly, the strongest possible condemnation of the ideology for those who did this ... we utterly reject and condemn you."

I am heartbroken.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 15, 8:24am

Post #24 of 103 (407 views)
Shortcut
Good to hear. Thanks, Ataahua. // [In reply to] Can't Post

My historical novels

- A Room With a View

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 15, 8:42am

Post #25 of 103 (414 views)
Shortcut
Hope you're all back together now [In reply to] Can't Post

Hugs to you and the family Ro.

Storm clouds

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.