The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TheOneRing.net Exclusive!: new "Tolkien" movie poster

NewsfromBree
spymaster@theonering.net

Mar 12 2019, 8:51am

Post #1 of 3 (1263 views)
Shortcut
TheOneRing.net Exclusive!: new "Tolkien" movie poster Can't Post

Today we're happy to bring you yet another Exclusive from our friends at FOX Searchlight Pictures: a brand new movie poster for the upcoming "Tolkien" movie. For the next two hours, from 7:00 a.m. PST to 9:00 a.m. PST, you'll only be able to see the poster here on TORn!

The poster features actor Nichloas Hoult, who plays J.R.R.Tolkien, and two depictions of soldiers: one from WWI and one from the fantasy world Tolkien would invent. It offers us more hints as to the evolution of Tolkien's imagination from boyhood to his experiences in WWI. "Tolkien," is directed by Dome Karukoski and in addition to Nicholas Hoult as a young J.R.R. Tolkien, it stars Lily Collins as a young Edith Bratt. It is schedule to open May 3 internationally, and in the U.S. on May 10 - coming up on us soon!

See a larger rendition of the poster, and get media covers for Facebook and Twitter, on the Home Page.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Mar 12 2019, 4:18pm)

squire
Half-elven

Mar 12 2019, 7:26pm

Post #2 of 3 (1222 views)
Shortcut
Both of the warriors shown are from a fantasy realm. [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like one is supposed to be good and one evil: dark and white horses, etc. The background is modern, showing the Western Front of the Great War.

It's a shame they didn't do what this NFB blurb thinks they did: have a fantasy warrior confronting a mounted British cavalryman from 1916! I should think that would have conveyed more compellingly how Tolkien's initial impulses towards fantasy were attuned to his own battle experience.

As it is, I suspect the only thing the poster sells is the name TOLKIEN, which everyone or almost everyone already knows. The unknown actor is an intense but unprepossessing young man in an anonymous period outfit, and the two knights are really too small to send much of a message beyond 'horsemen fighting dramatically.'

The second trailer was pretty good, I thought, and I do hope this film tells a good story that's both accurate, and powerful even for the many millions of people who liked the films but know nothing about the Lord of the Rings' author's biography.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Mar 13 2019, 1:00am

Post #3 of 3 (1187 views)
Shortcut
I like it [In reply to] Can't Post

No Edith, which is a shame, but still powerful - though I still don't quite get who the two horsemen are supposed to be, other than allegories of good and evil?
But regardless, I like the simplicity. It'll look good in a theater: I can't wait to see if it'll be playing anywhere near me.

"We are Kree"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.