Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
A question for all you Peter Jackson naysayers...
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

diedye
Grey Havens

Mar 13 2007, 8:38pm

Post #1 of 59 (1660 views)
Shortcut
A question for all you Peter Jackson naysayers... Can't Post

If you were disappointed with Peter's version of the movies when you first saw them on the big-screen, did that dissuade you from getting the DVDs? or did you get them, anyway?

I'm just curious as to just how well New Line was able to reel in Tolkien fans, even those who were NOT satisfied with PJ's version.

Eowyn Wannabe
The Shire

Mar 13 2007, 8:59pm

Post #2 of 59 (1167 views)
Shortcut
I bought some [In reply to] Can't Post

but not others. I liked most of the visuals, but not the revised story. My son brought over the EE of RotK and I found it unwatchable and will not purchase it.

I also haven't watched the EE of TTT, even though I did buy it, and I haven't watched the extras on any of the DVDs. I just don't have the time, and have rather little interest in doing so.

But the music and visuals are lovely.

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 13 2007, 9:22pm

Post #3 of 59 (1226 views)
Shortcut
I got them all. [In reply to] Can't Post

Theatrical and extended versions.

I got all the theatrical versions because I can't stand an incomplete set. As disappointed as I was initially with FOTR, it did grow on me, so I was happy to get that TE. And though I liked TTT less and really don't like ROTK at all, I needed to get those TEs, just so the video shelf would be balanced.

And I got the EEs in hopes that they would improve some of the shortcomings of the theatrical releases. (They didn't...at least not in the case of ROTK.)

Plus, I loved all of the DVD extras on the EEs. The technical, behind-the-scenes stuff is fascinating.

Children’s Interpretations of the Bible

• Lot’s wife was a pillar of salt during the day, but a ball of fire during the night.

• The greatest miracle in the Bible is when Joshua told his son to stand still and he obeyed him.

• Christians have only one spouse. This is called monotony.

• http://mallika.vox.com/

Aunt Dora Baggins
    Immortal

Mar 13 2007, 9:27pm

Post #4 of 59 (1199 views)
    Shortcut
    I bought them all, theatrical and extended. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was disappointed with a lot of what I saw, but I loved a lot of it too. The good bits were worth the price. After waiting 30 years for a live-action movie, anything that wasn't worse than Bakshi (and these were a lot better) was worth having. The EE of FotR was the best of the lot, in my opinion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
    Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
    and some other stuff I wrote...
    leleni at hotmail dot com

Aerlinn
    Lorien

Mar 13 2007, 9:34pm

Post #5 of 59 (1208 views)
    Shortcut
    I'm only a "meh"-sayer [In reply to] Can't Post

I've gotten all three theatricals and all three extendeds, even though I wasn't 100% sold on TTT and had moments of hatred for RotL (though I adored FotR, entirely) ... I think I bought the the theatrical editions in part because of TORn and the constant discussion. Too, I thought they might grow on me. And parts have. I still want to throw something at the screen in other places.

The extended editions I bought in hopes that they would improve on something not all bad to begin with. And they did. Sorta. Where they didn't make matters worse. And the commentaries and extras were worth getting (although to this day I still haven't worked my way through all of the extras on RotK; my obsession had already peaked by then).

I will not buy the version with the Something Whatsit documentaries, though I might get the documentaries by themselves. I also will not buy any other versions they may come up with unless there are changes and additions - and preferably an edit or ten - overwhelmingly worth my money. Of which there isn't a whole lot. So they need to earn it.

Aerlinn's Law #15 (maybe 16... 17?): Whatever I say goes.

In one ear and out the other.

My TORn archives - to be updated sooner or later

Pukel-man
    The Shire

Mar 13 2007, 10:09pm

Post #6 of 59 (1171 views)
    Shortcut
    EEs [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought the FOTR EE because I liked (and still like) the FOTR movie. Although the EE didn't do much for me, and didn't alter any of the things I disliked about the TE.

I bought both of the EEs for the other two in the hope that they'd 'fix' what I disliked about them. This was particularly true of the ROTK, which I dislike primarily because it left out so many of my favourite book moments (like Eomer's fell rage, the Gandalf/WK standoff, the Faramir/Eowyn romance etc.). Needless to say, the EE versions of these scenes were not really saitsfying to me.

Aunt Dora Baggins
    Immortal

Mar 13 2007, 10:10pm

Post #7 of 59 (1120 views)
    Shortcut
    You said it better than I did. I agree with all you said. {nt} [In reply to] Can't Post

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
    Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
    and some other stuff I wrote...
    leleni at hotmail dot com

Curious
    Half-elven

Mar 13 2007, 10:21pm

Post #8 of 59 (1168 views)
    Shortcut
    Oh I got the extended version DVDs. Although I haven't watched most of them. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not a real naysayer, I suppose, since I liked FotR and sort of liked TT and RotK. I just prefer the books. Let me put it this way; I saw FotR three times in the theaters, TT twice, and RotK once. I watched the extended version of FotR on DVD, and I'm really not sure if I've watched anything else on DVD. But I bought the extended editions anyway. So I suppose I got reeled in.

N.E. Brigand
    Half-elven

Mar 13 2007, 10:34pm

Post #9 of 59 (1145 views)
    Shortcut
    No. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw each of the Jackson films once, in the theaters. I liked RotK most, TT least.

I have seen the Bakshi version six times: twice in theaters (in 1977 and 2003) and four times on VHS and DVD. So I may yet borrow or purchase the Jackson DVDs to view.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Mar. 5-11: Tolkien's "Visions, Myths and Legends".

Aerlinn
    Lorien

Mar 13 2007, 10:49pm

Post #10 of 59 (1129 views)
    Shortcut
    The extended editions are worth seeing [In reply to] Can't Post

What made you like RotK best?

Aerlinn's Law #15 (maybe 16... 17?): Whatever I say goes.

In one ear and out the other.

My TORn archives - to be updated sooner or later

Penthe
    Gondor

Mar 13 2007, 10:51pm

Post #11 of 59 (1125 views)
    Shortcut
    I didn't buy them [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched all of them two or three times at the cinema, even though I didn't love the movies as such. I loved the fact that there were big, juicy movies of my beloved book, even if the version of the characters and story wasn't what I would've hoped for.

New Line will have to manage with my ticket prices.

Besides my mother-in-law owns the ordinary versions, and my friends own the extended versions, so I can watch them anytime I want anyway. Which so far has been once.

CAhobbit
    Rohan

Mar 13 2007, 10:59pm

Post #12 of 59 (1147 views)
    Shortcut
    Except for the ROTK:EE [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO. It's not that I hated the ROTK:EE it's just that I felt Jackson and all needed to add more and more and more. In doing so they added scenes that just didn't overwhelm me and really could were best left out totally (even from the EE). I did like the inclusion of the Houses of Healing, Sam seeing the star and a few other things but it was just too bogged down with unnecessary scenes overall.

The FOTR and TT were much improved with the EE. Too bad ROTK didn't have the same feel.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

JRandomRohirrim
    Rohan

Mar 13 2007, 11:33pm

Post #13 of 59 (1142 views)
    Shortcut
    Minor Disagreement on ROTK EE [In reply to] Can't Post

I really wanted to see the Faramir-Eowyn wedding. We know it was filmed...

I liked the other additions, especially Frodo and Sam running into Orcs in Mordor after escaping
    the tower...

Boycott New Line!
    http://www.boycottnewline.com

CAhobbit
    Rohan

Mar 13 2007, 11:39pm

Post #14 of 59 (1148 views)
    Shortcut
    Just imagine.... [In reply to] Can't Post

if the unnecessary scenes were cut out instead (drinking contest for instance) and in place there were the additions of the wedding or Theoden's funderal. As I said there were many scenes in the EE that I enjoyed but there were still far more that could have been left out all together (and replaced with others perhaps).

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

priell3
    Lorien

Mar 13 2007, 11:48pm

Post #15 of 59 (1131 views)
    Shortcut
    As for me... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't see the movies (or read the books) until they were out on DVD and the first one I saw was theatrical version of The Two Towers. It caught my interest. I ended up buying the other two movies on DVD. That led me to buy the The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle Earth books. (I've read all of them 3 times in the last year!) I was given a boxed set of the extended versions. The extended versions fill in a few gaps and I enjoy the special features. Considering the amount of time and subject matter, I think the PJ movies will be the best effort we will see for a long time to come. Nothing can replace the books though. I recently purchased complete, unabridged versions of The Hobbit and LOTR on audio CD. 56 CDs!

JRandomRohirrim
    Rohan

Mar 13 2007, 11:51pm

Post #16 of 59 (1145 views)
    Shortcut
    I probably would have liked a six hour ROTK. [In reply to] Can't Post

I rather liked the drinking contest.

Yes, I may be alone in this, but... ;->

On the other hand, I really wish TTT had less battle and had the final fight with Saruman.

Boycott New Line!
    http://www.boycottnewline.com

Wynnie
    Rohan

Mar 13 2007, 11:52pm

Post #17 of 59 (1131 views)
    Shortcut
    Yeah -- I bought them, but don't watch them [In reply to] Can't Post

In the end, RotK spoiled the series for me, so the DVDs sit gathering dust. I loved FotR and TTT, so bought both those EEs soon after they came out. I liked FotR EE even better than the theatrical, but TTT EE added several scenes that made me cringe. RotK disappointed me a bit; I hoped the EE might make things better, but instead it made them worse. Now I'm stuck, not wanting to watch just part of the whole story, but not really wanting to watch RotK either. What's worse, I went out and bought the limited ed. box set, having figured out by then that I preferred the theatrical versions of the second two. To date I've only watched TTT from that set (and the documentary).

So yeah, they got plenty of $$ from this not-terribly-satisfied customer.

Owlamoo
    ink drawing by JRRT

N.E. Brigand
    Half-elven

Mar 13 2007, 11:56pm

Post #18 of 59 (1133 views)
    Shortcut
    I'll keep that in mind. [In reply to] Can't Post

Someday, when I get around to revisiting the films.

I was appalled by FotR. It wasn't a terrible film, but so many things were wrong that I left the theater wanting to break things. (I didn't, of course.) TT was worse, but not unexpectedly bad, after the first film. But the little that I had invested in the film characters made the resolution in RotK almost endurable. Still, three mediocre films.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Mar. 5-11: Tolkien's "Visions, Myths and Legends".

Tintallë
    Gondor

Mar 14 2007, 12:05am

Post #19 of 59 (1084 views)
    Shortcut
    What she said. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Aerin
    Grey Havens

Mar 14 2007, 12:41am

Post #20 of 59 (1138 views)
    Shortcut
    I was very disappointed with ROTK, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I bought both DVD versions anyway. I guess for completeness, and for the few scenes I really liked. I probably didn't need the EE, as I didn't care for any of the added scenes (and one I absolutely detested and wish I had never seen), but I wanted the commentaries. And I did listen to all the commentaries and found them very interesting.

Elizabeth
    Half-elven

Mar 14 2007, 3:42am

Post #21 of 59 (1130 views)
    Shortcut
    It's shorter, not longer, but [In reply to] Can't Post

this effort has the effect of eradicating a lot of the more objectionable bits while rearranging the remainder into book order. This person (who was Annechen on the old boards) did TTT first, and it was a really interesting effort. I haven't seen his whole trilogy yet, but I'm looking forward to it.

I agree that some of the additions to RotK-EE were useless (e.g. Eowyn's dream), and carp about a lot of details, but on the whole I was delighted to get it. The 'skip' button works well on the useless stuff.

Queen Mary II approaching Honolulu harbor
    February 9, 2007, 7:30 am

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

a.s.
    Valinor

Mar 14 2007, 10:46am

Post #22 of 59 (1135 views)
    Shortcut
    hear hear! for the "skip" button [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I agree that some of the additions to RotK-EE were useless (e.g. Eowyn's dream), and carp about a lot of details, but on the whole I was delighted to get it. The 'skip' button works well on the useless stuff.

I have all three extended versions but dislike the ROTK one for the jumpy feel and the gratuitous scenes added in. I could completely lose, for instance, the skulls scene. Blech.

I only really ever watch FOTR anymore, which is my favorite of all. And I still end up using the skip button. I skip, for instance, the prologue of whichever movie I'm watching, including FOTR.

Thank heavens for that button.

Smile

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from.
    Everybody's worried 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
    No one knows for certain, and so it's all the same to me:
    I think I'll just let the mystery be.
    ~~~~Iris DeMent

Alcarcalime
    Tol Eressea

Mar 14 2007, 4:06pm

Post #23 of 59 (1069 views)
    Shortcut
    We have all the DVDs that were put out: [In reply to] Can't Post

We have the three movies TE and the three movies EE and the bizarre little set that New Line put out just because we wanted to see the Costa Botes material on them. OhioHobbit and I watch them A LOT. Maybe not every weekend like we did at first, but fairly regularly.

There are things we didn't like in PJs movies, but since we didn't have the money, contacts, or TALENT to make them ourselves, we make do!

We also have probably 10 sets of books, also, plus lots and lots of guides, etc. I think I may have mentioned once or twice that we are Tokien fanatics.

sherlock
    Gondor

Mar 14 2007, 4:22pm

Post #24 of 59 (1074 views)
    Shortcut
    Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with everything you said!

Advising Elf
    Rohan

Mar 14 2007, 4:47pm

Post #25 of 59 (1090 views)
    Shortcut
    The technical stuff always improves my opinion of PJ & Co. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't watched the movies in a while (probably a year) but back when I used to, I'd get all indignant about the story changes.

Then I'd watch the docs and appreciate what a monumental task the whole thing was, then stop griping about PJ & Co's choices (for a while).

"I haven't any right to criticise books, and I don't do it except when I hate them. I often want to criticise Jane Austen, but her books madden me so that I can't conceal my frenzy from the reader; and therefore I have to stop every time I begin. Everytime I read 'Pride and Prejudice' I want to dig her up and beat her over the skull with her own shin-bone." - Mark Twain

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.