Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Using the Jacksonverse actors or recast?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Mar 9 2019, 1:24pm

Post #1 of 68 (1949 views)
Shortcut
Using the Jacksonverse actors or recast? Can't Post

Can Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Peter Mckenzie(Elendil), Harry SInclair(Ilsidur), Marton Csokas and Mark Ferguson(Gil-Galad)reprise their roles? Or will Amazaon do a complete recast?

uncle Iorlas
Lorien

Mar 9 2019, 1:43pm

Post #2 of 68 (1874 views)
Shortcut
With any luck at all [In reply to] Can't Post

I should think they're changing a lot more than just casting different actors. But in any event, good luck playing an agelessly young-looking elf twenty to thirty years after you were first cast for it.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Mar 9 2019, 2:10pm

Post #3 of 68 (1845 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would guess no, but anything is possible at this point. If they intend to draw fans of Peter-earth to their product, I'm sure they can come up with more ways to achieve this other than throwing the same actors in front of them.

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Mar 9 2019, 2:16pm

Post #4 of 68 (1844 views)
Shortcut
If they recast [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope they will find actors that resembles a bit of the former ones, if they intend to keep this in the movieverse.

Name
Rohan

Mar 9 2019, 2:45pm

Post #5 of 68 (1830 views)
Shortcut
Has there been confirmation that they want to keep things strictly within Jackson's universe? [In reply to] Can't Post

That seems unlikely to me, I'd probably guess that they want to make it aesthetically similar to the Jackson movies, with more grit and less of the PG-13 comic relief. I think strictly having it within the Jacksonverse is too creatively restrictive, and doesn't really help with the marketing all that much. The Middle Earth setting, ridiculous budget, and Amazon name will be far more influential than whether or not they follow what Jackson did to a T.

They'd almost certainly have to recast anyways, if anything because of the age of those 3 men at this point.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Mar 9 2019, 2:55pm

Post #6 of 68 (1816 views)
Shortcut

I think it is mostly wishful thinking from the PJ fans, however Amazon did supposedly contact him about his possible involvement. From a marketing standpoint, it would make sense as the vast majority of the mass public only know of Middle-earth through the PJ movies and his name being in the marketing is an easy way to grab their attention.

Marmoon
The Shire

Mar 9 2019, 2:56pm

Post #7 of 68 (1813 views)
Shortcut
Recast [In reply to] Can't Post

Anything is possible at this point but I think it is unlikely.

Cate Blanchett (nearly 50) and Marton Csokas (nearly 53) are the youngest of the bunch and would be the most likely to have retained their youthful appearances from 20 years ago. But still add another year or so before they actually get in front of a camera. The other actors from the list will be more challenging. With proper make-up or expensive de-aging special effects, and if the producers keep the actors' involvement to brief cameos and do a ton of filming up front rather than bring them back for reprisals… maybe. But other than Hugo Weaving, the elder actors did not have serious screen time and did not make an impression on audiences. Those are easy recasts.

And consider this: if this show is successful and runs for 5, 7, or even 10 seasons, the production will last at least as long. With a few exceptions, even some of the most well-preserved folks lose their youthful looks in their 50s and virtually all by 60. I do not think Amazon will be banking on Cate Blanchett and Marton Csokas looking 30 in the year 2030.

(This post was edited by Marmoon on Mar 9 2019, 2:57pm)

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Mar 9 2019, 3:09pm

Post #8 of 68 (1799 views)
Shortcut

I'm sure if they really wanted to, they could always digitally impose their faces onto whoever is playing the character...like the genie in the new Aladdin movie.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Mar 9 2019, 3:19pm

Post #9 of 68 (1795 views)
Shortcut
The only one I would really love to see return [In reply to] Can't Post

would be Cate Blanchett, because I just love her, and she's an awesome actress, and she's Galadriel to me. I feel that it's unlikely she will play Galadriel again, though. Honestly, I don't think age is so much the issue: look what they did with Captain Marvel, making Samuel L. Jackson look like he was maybe late thirties, using the de-aging technique. But I think she's done with that role.
Now here's a thought: how about Hugo Weaving's son Harry Weaving to play Elrond?
As for the others, McKenzie, Sinclair, Csokas, and Ferguson: I never felt like they were really the definitive Elendil, Isildur, Celeborn or Gil-galad anyway, so I'd definitely be open to recasting those roles. I would really like for the old actors to have cameos though.

"We are Kree"

daemoon
Rivendell

Mar 9 2019, 3:56pm

Post #10 of 68 (1763 views)
Shortcut
They will probably be recast, but maybe Benedict Cumberbatch can return as Annatar. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just hope they bring back Weta, John Howe and Alan Lee to work on this series (with some new blood aswell).

Chen G.
Rohan

Mar 9 2019, 3:58pm

Post #11 of 68 (1758 views)
Shortcut
I think they'd recast [In reply to] Can't Post

While still keeping things roughly in continuity with the films. I'm not going to be a stickler for continuity here, because of the different medium (TV versus film), so as long as the broad brushstrokes do their job, I'm fine with the odd recasting.

I think its more than reasonable to aspect continuity and a shared aesthetic between the films and series. It seems quite likely from the choice of setting (the forging of the Rings and the heritage of Numenore tie very deeply indeed with the films), some of the details retained in the map from the films -- the mountains of the East, sea-serpents in Pelegaer -- and Peter Jackson's own potential involvement.

uncle Iorlas
Lorien

Mar 9 2019, 3:59pm

Post #12 of 68 (1753 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

They have certainly made contact, but the only person out there intimating that this show is creatively connected to PJ is PJ.

Name
Rohan

Mar 9 2019, 4:01pm

Post #13 of 68 (1749 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazon might decide to change/alter how elves are portrayed, especially if the initial seasons are very elf-centric. The stoic, stern, almost numb portrayals of Elrond, Galadriel, and Celeborn might not be able to carry a dramatic show with an extended run. Cate Blanchett's otherworldly-ness and stoic composure worked when she had 15 minutes of screen time in Fellowship, but I'm not sure that would work in a television format, where elves get much much more screen time, and a single season alone is around 10 hours of content. As much as I enjoyed the Blanchett and Weaving portrayals, which worked in that 3rd Age setting, that might not be what they're going for in this new show.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Mar 9 2019, 4:08pm

Post #14 of 68 (1740 views)
Shortcut
I hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

Elves in the Second Age are completely different: they've finally defeated Morgoth, Middle-earth is theirs to rule and to make beautiful, they are ruled by a wise king, they are friends with the Edain: this is a time of peace and hope for them, when they should be idealistic and visionary, intent on making Middle-earth as fair as the West that they have left behind. It could be similar to how the world was after the devastating events of WWI, and the influenza outbreak of 1918: you had the Roaring Twenties, but beneath the shining veneer lay a dark world that was rapidly descending into more - and worse - horrors.

"We are Kree"

kzer_za
Lorien

Mar 9 2019, 4:21pm

Post #15 of 68 (1729 views)
Shortcut
Lee Pace's Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually might be the most viable possibility for reprising a role. Pace is only 40 and it has been much less time since his character's first appearance. Thranduil was around in the Second Age and they could come up with something for him - there will need to be storylines invented/embellished to fill out the details, might as well use existing characters if you can. Also Thranduil is probably my favorite elf in the Jackson films, though Blanchett's Galadriel is close.

(This post was edited by kzer_za on Mar 9 2019, 4:27pm)

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Mar 9 2019, 4:31pm

Post #16 of 68 (1715 views)
Shortcut

hopefully his input, if any will be very limited. Even though his name is now forever linked to Middle-earth in the minds of the mainstream mass public, this series will require a far deeper understanding and respect for Tolkien's mythology to pull off successfully. PJ's reworking of TH to cater to modern movie goers didn't go over as well as they had hoped, and the same will likely be true if a similar approach is attempted with this series.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Mar 9 2019, 5:05pm

Post #17 of 68 (1690 views)
Shortcut
I imagine that could be possible [In reply to] Can't Post

Lee Pace is such a good actor, I would love to see him again in the role, for certain.

"We are Kree"

Chen G.
Rohan

Mar 9 2019, 5:05pm

Post #18 of 68 (1691 views)
Shortcut
There's no such thing [In reply to] Can't Post

as making a product NOT for modern (as in contemporary) audiences.

uncle Iorlas
Lorien

Mar 9 2019, 5:51pm

Post #19 of 68 (1660 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes elves. [In reply to] Can't Post

Leaving aside superficial bits like every bloody one of them being blonde, I was really saddened by the (unsurprising) choice to play elves as *dignified* to the exclusion of letting them be *merry.* With few exceptions, though, Tolkien's elves seem always on the verge of laughter, bursting into song regularly, light of heart. Certainly we see a quiet lofty dignity in some cases, particularly the unsmiling Elrond but also Galadriel and Celeborn, and there's this sense that they are high and far away, out of mortal ken. But they are puckish, too, like Shakespearean fairies.

We talked a lot about how to play this and our approach to unifying these trends was to think of elves as just thousands of years over the petty concerns of life--just not getting caught up in transitory things. So they really are lofty and above, but they graciously manifest this by staying light and easy. (Less so in the case of more traumatized individuals like Elrond.)

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Mar 9 2019, 5:52pm

Post #20 of 68 (1661 views)
Shortcut

sure there is, it just isn't something that would likely be considered if the main motivation behind doing the thing is making the most amount of money possible. If there was no such thing, the term "selling out" wouldn't exist either.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Mar 9 2019, 6:35pm

Post #21 of 68 (1616 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to see elves portrayed based upon Tolkien's descriptions.

Marmoon
The Shire

Mar 9 2019, 6:42pm

Post #22 of 68 (1618 views)
Shortcut
Elf nature [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We talked a lot about how to play this and our approach to unifying these trends was to think of elves as just thousands of years over the petty concerns of life--just not getting caught up in transitory things.

I have also wondered how to reconcile these aspects of the Elves for future adaptations. I like your idea - by nature they are less attached to the temporal world and its humdrum, are just as likely to pontificate as to break out in song. This would at least apply to your everyday elf; maybe you find more dignity among the eldest and wisest - your Elronds, your Galadriels. In the same way, one could assume the silly sing-song moments and teasing come from mischievous elf-children, while the elders are busy contemplating matters of state or contending with existential quandaries. Or maybe the elves have designated bards and musicians. But your idea is simpler and plays on their near-immortality.

Mari D.
Rivendell

Mar 9 2019, 8:04pm

Post #23 of 68 (1576 views)
Shortcut
I would like to see merry elves as well :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Imho, it would make them even more otherworldly, but in a good, fascinating way, if they could within their character both delight in light merriment and delve into deep thought without it being a contradiction ...

Mari D.
Rivendell

Mar 9 2019, 8:08pm

Post #24 of 68 (1572 views)
Shortcut
I agree but would like to add ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that once you have built a bridge for the modern audience, one end connecting to their side of the river, leading them over that bridge you can lead them into new, unknown realms and they will be all the more enchanted.

(This post was edited by Mari D. on Mar 9 2019, 8:12pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Mar 9 2019, 9:21pm

Post #25 of 68 (1532 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien hated Shakespearean fairies [In reply to] Can't Post

And so do I, honestly.
I can imagine the Elves being more light and easy, as they are in the Hobbit, for instance, for the most part unconcerned with the troubles of the world - but not all of them in the cold, aloof way like Thranduil: I mean just uninterested in petty things, rejoicing in the beauty of the world, dancing, singing, but never straying into "puckish" territory, musing on cowslips and dewdrops and whatnot.
But the Elves of the Silmarillion are all very grim, and in LOTR most of the Elves are pretty serious as well. I'd like a balance: I just don't want the Elves to be made in any way bizarre. And based off his own words, I doubt Tolkien would want the Elves at all Shakespearean. I just want a balance between their sorrow and their joy, but even their joy should still retain that beautiful, nostalgic, somewhat bittersweet quality, in my opinion. That's just how I feel.

"We are Kree"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.