Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Is anyone else "waiting for app.impact.com" for ten seconds to read every TORn post?

squire
Half-elven

Mar 7 2019, 6:57pm

Post #1 of 18 (2303 views)
Shortcut
Is anyone else "waiting for app.impact.com" for ten seconds to read every TORn post? Can't Post

This seems new to me, over just the past day or two. When I click on a link to a message on the boards, the inner screen goes white and the link info line at the bottom says 'waiting for app.impact.com'. The wait is about ten seconds, finally there is an easy-to-miss instantaneous flicker of "waiting for www.facebook.com" and then the new screen opens.

That used to be a near-instant process. This glitch or feature significantly degrades enjoyment of the forums, for me anyway.

For reference info, I'm using Windows 10 on a Dell desktop computer. The browser is Chrome. If it's something I'm doing wrong, I'd very much like to fix it.

Thanks!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

(This post was edited by squire on Mar 7 2019, 6:58pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 7 2019, 7:21pm

Post #2 of 18 (2241 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen it. Let's see if anyone else has. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Mar 7 2019, 8:21pm

Post #3 of 18 (2238 views)
Shortcut
Yes and no [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything I click on on TORn, the different boards as well as the individual messages, is now taking a few extra seconds to load. However, I don't see the "...impact.com" at the bottom, and this time around I specifically looked for it.

I'm running Microsoft Edge on a Dell desktop, if that helps.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 7 2019, 8:27pm

Post #4 of 18 (2235 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting it too [In reply to] Can't Post

Jumping from post to post on the boards took a few seconds per click yesterday. I admit, I thought it was my WiFi.

Today, it's delaying by a second or two, but I am noticing the "Impact" line at the bottom of the page and sometimes see the "Facebook" one flicker by too. The delay seems to be improving as the day goes on.

I'm using a Dell (not sure which generation, as I'm at work) via Chrome.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Cirashala
Valinor

Mar 7 2019, 8:55pm

Post #5 of 18 (2233 views)
Shortcut
I don't know if this will help you all [In reply to] Can't Post

but this morning I was on TORn and it kept freezing up even when scrolling down a thread (Windows 10 on Dell Inspiron laptop on Firefox browser). I was having slow issues when watching JAG dvd last night as well (note-I also had Firefox and TORn open, as when hubby would step out of the room as girls were getting ready for bed I would pause the dvd and scroll TORn), so I thought maybe the dvd had a virus on it (handmedown from brother and sister in law).

So I ran a virus scan through my free superantispyware application, and it came back with over 1,000 cookies/ad trackers (granted, I haven't done a scan in a bit, but still).

So my superantispyware cleared the cookies, and everything is now operating as good as new Smile Maybe try clearing your cookies/running a scan and see if it's a wayward TORn cookie that's causing the issues? Worked for me!

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Mar 7 2019, 8:56pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 7 2019, 9:13pm

Post #6 of 18 (2226 views)
Shortcut
Very annoying, indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I sent an owl to Corvar and Calisuri to see if they know the spell to fix it. Oh, wait! Wrong fantasy. Lol. In any case, if it can be fixed, they'll know how.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Mar 7 2019, 10:06pm

Post #7 of 18 (2219 views)
Shortcut
Yes, starting today. Every time [In reply to] Can't Post

I click on anything here.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 7 2019, 11:53pm

Post #8 of 18 (2204 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting it also. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Mar 8 2019, 12:05am

Post #9 of 18 (2203 views)
Shortcut
I'm getting it too, since yesterday// [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 8 2019, 3:05am

Post #10 of 18 (2201 views)
Shortcut
This might not be related [In reply to] Can't Post

but I see that some of you who have posted here are on Chrome, and Chrome have issued a warning about their browser:
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/...mp;objectid=12210871

The bottom of the webpage has simple instructions about how to check if your Chrome browser needs updating.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 8 2019, 5:14pm

Post #11 of 18 (2135 views)
Shortcut
Just adding to the data pile: happening to me too today, in Firefox // [In reply to] Can't Post

Lissuin
Valinor

Mar 8 2019, 6:33pm

Post #12 of 18 (2134 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Ataahua, I hadn't seen this Chrome advisory. [In reply to] Can't Post

I updated Chrome on Apple laptop last night, but the same is still happening for TORN. (Very slow, "waiting for app" message at bottom). It's been 3 days like this just on TORN. I thought it was because of all the Amazon series excitement.Laugh

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 8 2019, 7:34pm

Post #13 of 18 (2126 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

it's not a great time for TORN to be playing up. Unimpressed

Ataahua's stories

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 8 2019, 8:28pm

Post #14 of 18 (2119 views)
Shortcut
Seems like it might be [In reply to] Can't Post

An ad-service loading error? I'm not having the problem on my Kindle, which is interesting.

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Alassea Elensar
Rivendell

Mar 8 2019, 9:17pm

Post #15 of 18 (2117 views)
Shortcut
For the record [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not even using a computer. I'm on an iPad Mini, using the Safari browser, and I'm having the same problem as you guys are. However, it's not all the time. There's a delay getting onto any board, but any post I click on loads immediately. All replies to the root posts are delayed, though going back to the root post is not. Very picky.

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 13 2019, 12:44am

Post #16 of 18 (2071 views)
Shortcut
Ad Blocker to the rescue! [In reply to] Can't Post

I did some googling and learned that the impact.com is a company that (among other things) helps manage and coordinate multiple advertising affiliates. TOrn's advertising affiliates, such as Sideshow, probably use impact.com to make *their* end of the ad experience better, but it certainly didn't do much for ours!

Corvar and Calisuri advised trying to remove the banner ad code from the boards, but it occurred to me that if the problem isn't with TORn, why fix something that isn't broken. I had been using Chrome since the problem started because Firefox was s-o-o-o-o.....s-l-o-o-o-w. But, I like to use the Advanced Editor, so I thought I'd try proving my theory on Firefox. I went to Firefox's menu,' get ad-ons,' and installed an ad blocker. There are several available, but I chose uBlock Origin. After I installed it, I closed and re-opened Firefox and, voila! Fast as lightening!!! TORn hasn't loaded this fast for me in recent memory. LaughLaugh

So, whatever browser you like, google how to block ads on it. Hopefully it will work as well for you. Smile

One more thing, blocking the ads will slightly decrease revenue from those affiliates to TORn. I think it's worth it for the speed, but if you frequent the Home Page (which didn't really slow down for me - it was mostly the boards), consider making it an exception in your ad blocker.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Mar 13 2019, 1:32am)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mar 13 2019, 4:22pm

Post #17 of 18 (1998 views)
Shortcut
Praise Altaira with great praise! (It works for me in FF--so fast now. Thanks!) // [In reply to] Can't Post

squire
Half-elven

Apr 29 2019, 6:57pm

Post #18 of 18 (1152 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

I am suspicious of free applications, computer security fixes, and the mysteries of system software in general, so I admit I postponed taking your expert advice for some time. However I finally cracked after another few weeks of watching a dead screen for three seconds every time I clicked on a TORn link. Yesterday I installed AdGuard and sure enough, things are back to normal - so far. Thanks for your timely response and my apologies for being a nervous nanny about the fix!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.