Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Amazon Confirms Show Takes Place In The 2nd Age!

KingTurgon
Rohan

Mar 7 2019, 4:07pm

Post #1 of 18 (1808 views)
Shortcut
Amazon Confirms Show Takes Place In The 2nd Age! Can't Post

https://twitter.com/LOTRonPrime/status/1103656946509344768

1) FOTR 2) ROTK 3) AUJ 4) TTT 5) DOS 6) BOFA

balbo biggins
Rohan

Mar 7 2019, 4:12pm

Post #2 of 18 (1770 views)
Shortcut
Not definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

They don't, it can be interpreted as that.

They are still just showing us maps of different times. One is second age another is third age. That status just alludes to the map being second age.

I agree it looks that way, bit it really hasn't been confirmed yet, tantalisingly close Though.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 7 2019, 4:17pm

Post #3 of 18 (1760 views)
Shortcut
On the other hand... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the message "Welcome to the Second Age..." is surely suggestive, if not conclusive.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 7 2019, 4:24pm)

Archestratie
Rivendell

Mar 7 2019, 4:23pm

Post #4 of 18 (1748 views)
Shortcut
YES [In reply to] Can't Post

IT'S NUMENOR EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phanatic
The Shire

Mar 7 2019, 4:51pm

Post #5 of 18 (1713 views)
Shortcut
Hoping for SA Series [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

They are still just showing us maps of different times. One is second age another is third age. That status just alludes to the map being second age.

I agree it looks that way, bit it really hasn't been confirmed yet, tantalisingly close Though.

I agree, you can not speculate that the series is going to be SA. It sure damn well looks like it though, and here's hoping. Still wondering exactly what Amazon has the rights to.

Althoun
Lorien

Mar 7 2019, 4:56pm

Post #6 of 18 (1702 views)
Shortcut
They won't have gone to bother of acquitting rights to Unfinished Tales, if they aren't going to use the material in the series... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

I agree, you can not speculate that the series is going to be SA. It sure damn well looks like it though, and here's hoping. Still wondering exactly what Amazon has the rights to.

Lindele
Gondor

Mar 7 2019, 5:08pm

Post #7 of 18 (1676 views)
Shortcut
Considering that their carefully structured [In reply to] Can't Post

social media campaign has culminated today with "welcome to the second age" i think it would be pretty hard not to come to the conclusion that we are going to be in the second age. Wouldn't make any sense for them to post that just in reference to a map they posted without it having any other meaning.

Eldy
Gondor

Mar 7 2019, 5:10pm

Post #8 of 18 (1676 views)
Shortcut
At least we're all the way through the Ring-verse now... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as Amazon's most recent tweet included all of the remaining lines. So hopefully we won't have to wait much longer for a proper announcement after all these teasers. Tongue

duats
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2019, 5:21pm

Post #9 of 18 (1657 views)
Shortcut
Especially considering [In reply to] Can't Post

They've been liking other people's tweets about Numenor and the Second Age.

If you hear hooves, chances are it's a horse.

The series may span thousands of years over the course of five seasons, but I think we can reasonably conclude that the first season will deal with the early Second Age.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Mar 7 2019, 5:36pm

Post #10 of 18 (1638 views)
Shortcut
Not confirmed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...the message "Welcome to the Second Age..." is surely suggestive, if not conclusive.

Yes, definitely suggestive. But not conclusive. Why have the third age maps? Why the young aragorn leaks?

It only Introduces the map as second age, nothing More.

These Could Just be hints, maybe suggesting aragorns lineage?

It would be silly If this wasn't second age and a big let down

But again. Not Confirmed.

duats
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2019, 5:48pm

Post #11 of 18 (1623 views)
Shortcut
The Aragorn thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Was never really substantiated, as far as I know. And even if that was what Amazon was originally planning to do, plans could have just as easily changed. Or maybe Young Aragorn will end up being one of those future spin-offs they've suggested.

I'm just saying, if they're looking for something to rival the scale and long-form storytelling of Game of Thrones, then the Second Age gives you much stronger material to work with than Young Aragorn would have. I've always questioned the ability to get five seasons out of that premise.

(This post was edited by duats on Mar 7 2019, 5:49pm)

cats16
Valinor

Mar 7 2019, 6:08pm

Post #12 of 18 (1582 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

From everything we've heard, it sounds like even top Amazon brass have been open to seeing how this all unfolds. I remember one early Q&A with Jennifer Salke where, in essence, she said they had zero creative elements and would figure that out once the head writing staff were in place.

Now that the writers have been in their bunker for a few months, it wouldn't shock me that things have shifted (and are clearly firmed up now, since marketing is rolling out materials). They could have even gone after additional book rights if needed, or there could have been an approval process by the Estate which allowed the studio to option additional rights if the Estate gave the 'ok'.

Lots of interesting options!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 7 2019, 6:19pm

Post #13 of 18 (1567 views)
Shortcut
Unless it's a unicorn! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If you hear hooves, chances are it's a horse.

Tongue

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Mari D.
Rivendell

Mar 7 2019, 8:37pm

Post #14 of 18 (1469 views)
Shortcut
I agree :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Considering that their carefully structured social media campaign has culminated today with "welcome to the second age" i think it would be pretty hard not to come to the conclusion that we are going to be in the second age. Wouldn't make any sense for them to post that just in reference to a map they posted without it having any other meaning.

(This post was edited by Mari D. on Mar 7 2019, 8:43pm)

bruinen
Bree

Mar 7 2019, 10:37pm

Post #15 of 18 (1387 views)
Shortcut
My post from Apr 8 2018 - called it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just sayin’ guys—and you were all nah, can’t be.

To quote:

Here's my "dream team" Season 1 plot points from Appendix B, The Tale of Years, Second Age chronology (obviously some of it gets the fast-forward treatment.)

SA years
1 Founding of the Grey Havens (begin where the LOTR story arc essentially ends)
40 Dwarves founding of Moria (and let's have some kick-ass lady dwarves Lagertha-style, please)
442 Death of Elros (oh, the feels!)
1500-1600 Forging of the RIngs (ahem, they're in the TITLE)
1693-1697 War of Elves and Sauron...rings are hidden. Gil-Galad gives his ring to Elrond.
1697--this very interesting year could be several episodes..."Eregion laid waste. Death of Celebrimbor. The Gates of Moria are shut. Elrond retreats with remnant of the Noldor and FOUNDS THE REFUGE OF IMLADRIS "

To me, so much room here to expand the storyline and I would so love to see young Elrond. His badassery in DoS was one of my favorite parts of the Hobbit movies.

My Avatar: the desk Tolkien used when he wrote The Hobbit...now on display at Wheaton College.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Mar 7 2019, 11:03pm

Post #16 of 18 (1364 views)
Shortcut
How about this? [In reply to] Can't Post

The series will be set in the 3rd Age with Flashbacks to 2nd Age events. This would make the map useful but not plant the story in the Second Age.

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Kangi Ska on Mar 7 2019, 11:03pm)

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Mar 7 2019, 11:12pm

Post #17 of 18 (1352 views)
Shortcut
War of Sauron and the Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope Amazon will portray this war. We don't have so many details about it. I mean, who was Sauron's commanders that time? What was his main forces besides orcs and trolls?

Wilros
The Shire

Mar 7 2019, 11:45pm

Post #18 of 18 (1326 views)
Shortcut
Making of Rings and War of the Elves and Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, this latest map update is so exciting!! I never dreamed they would be able to actually show us Numenor in all of it's glory! I hope they go back far enough to start before the Making of the Rings and the War of the Elves and Sauron, then I imagine they might compress timeline a bit to get to the Capture of Sauron, the Downfall of Numenor, and the Last Alliance. Can't wait!!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.