The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
The Peak of your Imagination

Cygnus
Lorien

Mar 6 2019, 6:11am

Post #1 of 11 (3293 views)
Shortcut
The Peak of your Imagination Can't Post

Looking back at your life, when was your imagination at its peak? Or is it there now? Or do you think it hasn't hit the peak yet?

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf (movie quote)

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 6 2019, 3:27pm

Post #2 of 11 (3228 views)
Shortcut
Puberty [In reply to] Can't Post

The world was larger then.

Character is what we do on the internet when we think no one knows who we are.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 6 2019, 4:27pm

Post #3 of 11 (3221 views)
Shortcut
midlife + [In reply to] Can't Post

that's when I stopped listening to the voices of others telling me what to think/be and started listening to the inner voices. Or as I think of it, the information that's been downloaded to my brain, will I nil I. I swear most of my last book was channeled . . .

(Being a writer allows you to escape accusations of being nuts because you don't act out what those voices say, you just write stories. But at times I do feel a bit loco when the muse has grabbed me . . .)

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Cirashala
Valinor

Mar 6 2019, 11:38pm

Post #4 of 11 (3181 views)
Shortcut
HA!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I KNEW I wasn't the only one who has complete conversations with myself on a regular basis! Or acted out scenes (my hubby is so patient he and I act out fight scenes for my fan fiction so I get the choreography and descriptions right and also for my original fiction/novels). My kids don't even bat an eye-though I do get odd stares from other people in the grocery store Angelic

I want to make a t-shirt that says Writing- a socially acceptable form of split personality disorder Sly

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Mar 6 2019, 11:39pm)

Cygnus
Lorien

Mar 8 2019, 2:18am

Post #5 of 11 (3073 views)
Shortcut
I dont know [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I don't even know the answer to my own question. Sometimes I think I'm at the peak now (but that could just be my imagination tricking me into thinking so) but other times I think it was 50 years ago. If the truth lies in the middle I suppose it was 25 years ago. Lately I've been trying to improve my imagination which is why I probably thought of posing this question. Reading Tolkien's books are sure helping. Watching movies helps too. Once in a while I will have what I consider to be a brilliant bout of imagination...light bulb turning on above my head and all...but I have to work on it. It no longer comes natural. It seems like I heard once that your best ideas come when you are in your 20s. I'm not sure that I agree with that when it comes to grand ideas that could benefit all of society but I do suspect that your 20s may be the peak of your imagination.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf (movie quote)

Annael
Immortal

Mar 8 2019, 4:17pm

Post #6 of 11 (3009 views)
Shortcut
the insanity of creativity [In reply to] Can't Post

there's a bipolar aspect too where when you're in the grip of it, you forego eating, sleeping, etc. because you're on the high. Then the lows when you are blocked . . .

this is why - on the advice of a therapist who has best-selling authors among her clients - I have learned to set up a routine that lets the muse know "I'm ready now." These days that usually involves going to an internet cafe where I'm surrounded by other people typing away. And I only write for two hours. I'll even stop in the middle of a sentence, so I hit the ground running, as it were, the next day. Apparently many successful authors only write for a set period or to a set page or word count. I believe Isaac Asimov wrote one page a day. In a year, that's a book. (Although my first book took nine years, I hope to improve on that.)

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 8 2019, 7:36pm

Post #7 of 11 (2994 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I have learned to set up a routine that lets the muse know "I'm ready now."

If I start writing before 10am then I'm likely to get a couple of hours' writing in. If I start later, if at all, I won't get much done.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Cirashala
Valinor

Mar 8 2019, 10:58pm

Post #8 of 11 (2966 views)
Shortcut
That can be hard for me [In reply to] Can't Post

A deadline puts too much pressure on me (stems from homework in childhood and abusive parents) and if I do a self-imposed deadline, even if the brain is off a million miles away, the anxiety and stress that results from trying to write under pressure is really hard Unsure I CAN do it, but it feels forced and isn't my best work.

I do have several playlists on my ipod that sometimes helps, though it's not always 100% foolproof. Plus, I have kids and homeschool (trust me, our local public schools are horrible esp in the bullying department, so that isn't an option for us) so there are times where interruptions or fighting make it tough to write as well (they've been very cranky toward each other more and more lately. I think my 9 year old might be in "pre-puberty" where her body is *just* beginning to wake up hormone-wise. Not looking forward to the teen years).

Ah well. Ironically enough, novel #1 was written in 5 weeks (1 of which was fighting with the computer and formatting- Amazon self-published so all formatting was on me) but that was Oct 2017 when I had strep and tonsillitis at the SAME time (and first time for both-ugh). But my brain, despite my burning and swollen throat, was on fire (we also took a break from homeschool for that illness) and the words just melted onto the page.

But as you said, it can be "bi-polar". I was on fire then, but writing the subsequent 12 novels in the queue (first one is first of a 6 book series, then a 4 book series, and two stand-alones) hasn't been as "on fire". I do wonder if it's because my endometriosis and adenomyosis was increasing dramatically in severity (culminating in my surgery in January this year) and my brain couldn't focus with the pain I was in on a constant basis. It's certainly possible...

What do you write, if I may ask? I write 19th century historical fiction, and like Tolkien I intertwine my Christian faith into them, more or less depending on the book Smile Though one of my stand-alones is going to be set in the present-day era Smile I like to base my HF around real events but with fictional players involved.

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Annael
Immortal

Mar 9 2019, 4:49pm

Post #9 of 11 (2880 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

The book that took nine years is a scholarly work, nonfiction, about female protagonists in major works of fiction and the story arc that most authors follow, which has gone surprisingly unremarked or discussed by most literary scholars.

I've also contributed chapters to The Gale Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders and a book about living a healthy old age. And I write essays, many of which have been published. Irecently granted permission for an article that was published HERE (on TORn), about the hero's journey in LOTR, to be included in a book of essays being put together by a professor.

Currently I'm at work on compiling and expanding some of my blogposts on heroines in sci-fi and fantasy films into a book. I also have two essays I'm seeking publication for.

I am thinking about venturing into fiction, specifically sci-fi, and I have a couple of ideas that I occasionally play with, building the world, as it were, and thinking about characters and the essential premise, but the plots haven't come to me yet.

A friend is urging me to write romances as I love Austen & Heyer, but find most current romance novels to be poorly written (WHY don't people hire editors?) and keep muttering "I could do better!" "So do it," she says. Turns out she makes a living churning out romances for Kindle reading, but she won't tell me her pen name . . .

-- Gaston Bachelard

(This post was edited by Annael on Mar 9 2019, 4:57pm)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

May 7 2019, 4:03pm

Post #10 of 11 (1939 views)
Shortcut
keeping the inner child alive [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember being chastized for "living in a fantasy world" by a perfectionist PA German mother (who may herself have been chastized for same, and certainly had a LOT of responsibility growing up). Both sides of the family were pretty much like Stoic in How to Train Your Dragon, only without the Scottish accents and the humor.

It's a wonder I maintained a sense of wonder.

But my mother did take me to the library and teach me to read.

I discovered "my tribe" in my early 20s with D&D (read Tolkien they said), living history, and science fiction conventions. That certainly fired the creative stuff (while trying to survive in a workday world I hated).

Through multiple crappy jobs, crappier relationships, crap of life; imagination and stories held stuff together. I wrote, committed art, and cosplayed before it was a thing.

Now, at 63, I'm wondering if those stories I began so long ago are still doable. Or if the characters have ported off into another timeline to find another writer. Then I go to see the last HTTYD film and use 6 boxes of tissues... or Endgame and...same...

The Inner Child never leaves.

You just have to let it out to play.

and sometimes, buy a mermaid tail....

https://www.swordwhale.com/

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

Ioreth
Rivendell

Oct 31 2020, 11:17am

Post #11 of 11 (337 views)
Shortcut
The Lothilwen film I dreamed back in 2005 [In reply to] Can't Post

for more of the backstory see: http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=977374;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
Short summary: I am by no means a film fan, I hate violence, I hate scary things and bad dialogue and too many clichess etc etc etc (there is a long long list).
BUT
When I was staying over at some Mithlond (Gothenburg Tolkien Society) friends place in Stockholm after the first banquet I attended at the Forodrim (Stockholm Tolkien Society) the night after I woke and realized that I had dreamed a film.
A film complete with soundtrack, special effects, camera zoomings - EVERYTHING - depicting the life of my Tolkien Society alias Lothilwen.
I was so awed. On the bus ride home I tried to write the snatches down as quickly as possible - and it turned out to be about 22 handwritten pages. But of course only the "scaffolding" remained so many hours later.
I never had dreamt like that before nor have I ever been able to wake to such a vivid film in my head ever after.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.