Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Am I the only one that foresees the series will center around Sauron?

lembasmuncher

Feb 27, 12:08pm

Post #1 of 20 (1530 views)
Shortcut
Am I the only one that foresees the series will center around Sauron? Can't Post

...after all, he IS THE LORD of the Rings! 🙂 I am just confused by all the hype surrounding the Young Aragorn storyline, was there really a clamor for it? I mean who would want a series centered around him when you can flesh out the whole ring forging storyline from Sauron's perspective and his motivations. And based from the teaser maps Prime have been rolling out so far, i guess that will be the trajectory. Pardon my excitement, I've always been wanting a treatment featuring the Rings of Power brought to life in detail :)
Btw, my first post since the original trilogy era! Nice to be back here :)

Helcaraxe
The Shire

Feb 27, 12:42pm

Post #2 of 20 (1484 views)
Shortcut
Sauron story [In reply to] Can't Post

It certainly should centre around the Rings of Power. It is the biggest link to LOTR/Hobbit movies. Common characters to both: Sauron, Nazgul, Galadriel, Elrond, Gandalf, Dunedain, Rohan, Dwarves (possibly), Hobbits (possibly) etc. It certainly has the scope of a billion dollar spend! Running it from the time of Numenor, forging of the Rings, the war in Arnor/Angmar, the last alliance, Gondor and linking into the prologue of LOTR. I can't see whats not to like in a series like that!!! Fantastic storyline, great spread of characters, direct link to LOTR, drama, battles, tragedy, the lot. Just go do it Amazon and forget a small limited in scope concept centring around young Aragorn........Smile

"Don't Touch Me!!" - Thomas Covenent

uncle Iorlas
Rivendell

Feb 27, 12:52pm

Post #3 of 20 (1479 views)
Shortcut
Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

I've often said he is the most important character in the book, the prime mover of all the action. But there's a reason he's never shown. What is revealed cannot be sublime. Tolkien chose to leave him offstage entirely, as something so dangerous that presumably no one who got within view of him could possibly be safe. So while you could turn that on its head and point the camera right at him, wow, that would be different. And problematic at this point because hardly any of the other characters ever talk to him. In the third age, that is.

Lindele
Gondor

Feb 27, 2:19pm

Post #4 of 20 (1455 views)
Shortcut
It has bothered me since the beginning [In reply to] Can't Post

that everyone is calling this LOTR when it's not, so this has to be it. Brilliant, can't believe I never thought of it.
From what I remember, the Aragorn thing was a rumor started by tORN that potentially had no real base in reality...the internet exploded with it but I think it was always a rumor. I was actually really annoyed when the Aragorn thing started because there didn't seem to be any evidence that it was, or could be real. Who knows.
Either way, I think you are on to something!

uncle Iorlas
Rivendell

Feb 27, 3:12pm

Post #5 of 20 (1435 views)
Shortcut
more than rumor [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I was actually really annoyed when the Aragorn thing started because there didn't seem to be any evidence that it was, or could be real. Who knows.

At one time an Aragorn story was definitely plan A for Amazon, but they also definitely changed their plan away from that at least once. Bottom line though, agreed, we really have had no solid information this whole time.

Winrobee

Feb 27, 3:57pm

Post #6 of 20 (1419 views)
Shortcut
Isn't this about time to name the shared Amazon-Jackson Universe? [In reply to] Can't Post

Since Amazon bought rights to the Jackson LotR footage and concept art, why not give a name by which to refer to the joint universe which will manifest? Some of the favorites that came up in my poll on Facebook:
Middle-Earth Cinematic Universe
Tolkienverse
Tales of Middle-Earth
Jacksonverse
Legendarium
Vision of the Ainur

Middle-Earth Cinematic Universe is clearly ahead in the four polls.

Chen G.
Rohan

Feb 27, 4:51pm

Post #7 of 20 (1384 views)
Shortcut
The War of the Rings [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the most pertinent title to the work as a whole, I think.

Helcaraxe
The Shire

Feb 27, 4:59pm

Post #8 of 20 (1380 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
I've often said he is the most important character in the book, the prime mover of all the action. But there's a reason he's never shown. What is revealed cannot be sublime. Tolkien chose to leave him offstage entirely, as something so dangerous that presumably no one who got within view of him could possibly be safe. So while you could turn that on its head and point the camera right at him, wow, that would be different. And problematic at this point because hardly any of the other characters ever talk to him. In the third age, that is.

Yes, but I bet he did a lot of talking to Celebrimbor!! It would be fascinating to see him in his guise of Anatar and inveigling himself in with the elves in Eregion. And then the transformation after the destruction of Numenor. Ooooh, getting the heeby, jeebies just thinking about it!!!
Cool

Helcaraxe
The Shire

Feb 27, 5:01pm

Post #9 of 20 (1377 views)
Shortcut

In Reply To
That's the most pertinent title to the work as a whole, I think.

Agreed!

Ataahua
Superuser

Feb 27, 5:56pm

Post #10 of 20 (1352 views)
Shortcut
The name will tell us. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's probable that the name that Amazon gives this series will show where their focus is for the storyline.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

uncle Iorlas
Rivendell

Feb 27, 6:59pm

Post #11 of 20 (1318 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, sir. Indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It would be fascinating to see him in his guise of Anatar and inveigling himself in with the elves in Eregion.

That was just my thought, alas.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Feb 27, 9:05pm

Post #12 of 20 (1280 views)
Shortcut
In Unfinished Tales [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't it mention that Gil-galad turned Sauron away from Lindon? And that Galadriel knew of him and distrusted him? And since he was so high in the favor of Celebrimbor, it would seem likely to me that he communicated with a lot of people in Middle-earth at that time - though, granted, there were far fewer.
I may be wrong about that: I don't own a copy of UT.

lembasmuncher

Feb 27, 10:32pm

Post #13 of 20 (1243 views)
Shortcut
The title... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's probable that the name that Amazon gives this series will show where their focus is for the storyline.

Indeed, and when the map-teasing marketing nears the end of the verse, the series title will probably be revealed - THE LORD OF THE RINGS - simple, no fuss, straight to the point yet quavering!

Mari D.
Rivendell

Feb 27, 10:55pm

Post #14 of 20 (1229 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating idea! Might well be true, though I'd say [In reply to] Can't Post

the center might be the conflict Numenoreans vs. Sauron over the centuries, culminating in young Aragorn vs. Sauron's schemes ...
But, ummm, it's so long since I read the books. Would that even make sense? Blush

(This post was edited by Mari D. on Feb 27, 10:59pm)

lembasmuncher

Feb 27, 10:58pm

Post #15 of 20 (1224 views)
Shortcut
Sauron the Deceiver [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

Yes, but I bet he did a lot of talking to Celebrimbor!! It would be fascinating to see him in his guise of Anatar and inveigling himself in with the elves in Eregion. And then the transformation after the destruction of Numenor. Ooooh, getting the heeby, jeebies just thinking about it!!!
Cool

Indeed, Sauron and his Annatar days are a delight to see on screen, with all the treachery, deception and plots twist involved! :)

InTheChair
Lorien

Feb 28, 10:08pm

Post #16 of 20 (1074 views)
Shortcut
It is a possibility [In reply to] Can't Post

There were tweets, riddles or statements made by someone linked to the production a long time ago that might well fit with a narrative around Sauron.

Depending on how far their rights extend they may need to make up a lot of material for such a thing.

Helcaraxe
The Shire

Mar 1, 12:57pm

Post #17 of 20 (860 views)
Shortcut
It is a possibility [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
There were tweets, riddles or statements made by someone linked to the production a long time ago that might well fit with a narrative around Sauron.

Depending on how far their rights extend they may need to make up a lot of material for such a thing.

Just cannot see the sense in the Estate not giving them the freedom to dip into some of the earlier stuff. Without Numenor and the Rings of Power, its a bit of a lame duck as far as I'm concerned. With a billion $ spend it just looks the most likely scenario. I remain hopeful! The idea of seeing some of the early days would make up in some way for not being able to get the whole Silmarillion
Cool

Mari D.
Rivendell

Mar 1, 7:31pm

Post #18 of 20 (750 views)
Shortcut
I agree :-). [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The idea of seeing some of the early days would make up in some way for not being able to get the whole Silmarillion

2ndBreffest
Rivendell

Mar 2, 12:16pm

Post #19 of 20 (643 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

this to me seems a very likely possibility. Basing the series on timelines and events so far back into Middle-earths history so that the average PJ movie fan will struggle to connect it to what they are familiar with, seems a very risky gamble for Amazon to take. The "Young Aragorn Chronicles" idea is one that stems from the PJ movie fandom community which accounts for the majority of the online chatter regarding this series. Understandably, Amazon will want to draw the largest audience possible, and unfortunately for Tolkien fans such as myself, will likely not concern themselves with whether or not this will resemble something that Tolkien would approve of, in favor of something that PJ fans will love. That being said, the story of Sauron and the creation of the Rings is one that PJ fans are familiar with, and it would be more interesting than a fanfic Aragorn origins storyline. I still don't have much interest in seeing a modern re-interpretation of Tolkien's work, but something along these lines might spark the interest of even the most ardent of Tolkien purists, at least for an episode or two.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 8, 7:48am

Post #20 of 20 (442 views)
Shortcut
Is Sauron really the Lord of the Rings? [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone has noted another candidate for that title.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.