Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
What's your preferred order to watch The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

JoTheHobbit

Feb 25, 2:50pm

Post #1 of 28 (6623 views)
Shortcut
What's your preferred order to watch The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit? Can't Post

Hi all, I've just recently joined this forum and this is my first time posting, so I hope I'm doing this correctly.
But I was just wondering what peoples preferred sequence or order to watch the two trilogies?
I look forward to your responses Smile

hanne
Lorien

Feb 25, 6:55pm

Post #2 of 28 (6501 views)
Shortcut
Welcome welcome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad to see you here!
I don't have a preferred sequence since I have seen the Hobbit movies only once each and have not rewatched the Lord of the Rings movies since the Hobbit movies came out. I guess I'm not much of a movie person as many here :) It's cool that you are! What is your own preferred order?

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Feb 25, 7:07pm

Post #3 of 28 (6500 views)
Shortcut
In chronological order. [In reply to] Can't Post

I refuse to go all Star Wars on my beloved LOTR and start complicating things, so I stick with the simple answer, chronological. Indeed, that's how Jackson intended it, they made the Hobbit films to be viewed before LOTR. That's how I introduced my family and friends to the series that hadn't seen it before. It made Gandalf's fall in Moria that much more tragic, as well as Balin's tomb, and even the betrayal of Saruman more treacherous.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Feb 25, 7:33pm

Post #4 of 28 (6489 views)
Shortcut
Hobbit, then LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

So far I've never watched them the other way around, nor have I ever watched just one without watching all the rest.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Feb 25, 9:43pm

Post #5 of 28 (6476 views)
Shortcut
LOTR: Straight through (but only the EEs). [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit: Not at all. Sorry, they have a few good moments, but are not good movies.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 25, 9:54pm

Post #6 of 28 (6477 views)
Shortcut
Howdy and Welcome :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you found your way here. Now... make a note of this post. Most of us can't remember when we did our first post! It's like losing your birthday :o

I really like to watch The Hobbit first and then LotR. My biggest problem... well, there are 2 problems... do I watch the extended or theatrical version and do I watch them both in one day/night? I only watch them when I can sit through all 3 of the Hobbit and all 3 of LotR; but RL doesn't always cooperate for a back-to-back of all. So I have to watch Hobbit first and then LotR the next day. AND I have to have the right food to snack on. Hobbity, quiet, and something I don't have to look down at and break eye contact with the screen! PLUS I won't watch them with someone who doesn't enjoy the story or the films, which means I tend to watch them alone... and that's totally fine! PLUS I need the room dark and put new batteries in the remote. THEN I turn off the phone. So many hurtles!

How about you? Do you have a preferred order? Do you munch?

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Silmaril
Rohan

Feb 27, 3:19pm

Post #7 of 28 (6282 views)
Shortcut
LOTR EE and only AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I love to watch the LOTR EEs. The Hobbit is not part of the marathon but I watch AUJ sometimes. The rest is hard to watch for me. So never again probably.

(This post was edited by Silmaril on Feb 27, 3:24pm)

Annael
Immortal

Feb 27, 4:38pm

Post #8 of 28 (6270 views)
Shortcut
LOTR EEs. [In reply to] Can't Post

not a fan of what PJ did to The Hobbit.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Feb 27, 4:39pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 27, 6:00pm

Post #9 of 28 (6257 views)
Shortcut
FOTR EE, TTT EE, ROTK TE. [In reply to] Can't Post

If I ever watch a Hobbit movie again it'll be the first one, but I don't feel the need to do so.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 27, 8:23pm

Post #10 of 28 (6230 views)
Shortcut
FOTR-TE, TTT-EE, ROTK-TE // [In reply to] Can't Post

Character is what we do on the internet when we think no one knows who we are.

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

Feb 28, 7:20pm

Post #11 of 28 (6190 views)
Shortcut
Several arrangements [In reply to] Can't Post

2:50 fan edit of the Hobbit + FOTREE + lightly condensed TTTEE + lightly condensed ROTKEE

or

Hobbit duology fan edit (Unexpected Journey + There and Back Again) + FOTREE + lightly condensed TTTEE + lightly condensed ROTKEE

Not a fan of the Hobbit structured as a trilogy.

But I mean the only time I'd ever watch any of the films back to back would be at the Alamo Drafthouse when they do an Extended Edition marathon with a three meal feast.

Mari D.
Rivendell

Mar 3, 8:35am

Post #12 of 28 (5612 views)
Shortcut
I like order ;D [In reply to] Can't Post

so I'd probably watch them chronologically.

But realistically, I'd not really take the time to watch multiple movies in a row, might also be an input overload for me, so I'd just watch either when I feel like it, but not necessarily one after the other within a small timeframe.

(This post was edited by Mari D. on Mar 3, 8:36am)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Mar 3, 7:22pm

Post #13 of 28 (5566 views)
Shortcut
You speak for me also. [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Mar 4, 11:53pm

Post #14 of 28 (5473 views)
Shortcut
That is an awful lot of watching to be fair! [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 5, 11:51am

Post #15 of 28 (5382 views)
Shortcut
True :) [In reply to] Can't Post

On those days, I leave the lid off my obsession jar ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Mar 5, 8:43pm

Post #16 of 28 (5317 views)
Shortcut
Why TE for ROTK, not EE? [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the ROTK Extended Edition: this may be an unpopular opinion, but the scene with the Legolas and Gimli drinking contest is the ONLY TIME in either trilogy that Legolas actually feels like book Legolas to me - and not just a little bit, but like, a lot. When I watched that scene for the first time, my jaw dropped: it was like book Legolas had suddenly appeared onscreen for a cameo. He never showed up again, but it was incredibly cool for that one scene.
EE also gives the scene at the Crossroads (love that scene).
The scene with Eowyn and Merry on the way to the Pelennor is a bit of a hit-or-miss for me: on the one hand, it does tie into that scene later where she tells him "courage for our friends!", but on the other hand...why is she just standing in the middle of the camp without her helmet, not even attempting to keep her disguise?
Gandalf vs The Witch King is another scene I really enjoy.
However, EE does also make me hate Gollum more, and I don't like that. I don't know why, I don't know how much material exactly is added to the Gollum scenes, but for some reason when I watch the EE, I just despise him, but in the TE I pity him.

"We are Kree"

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

Mar 5, 9:23pm

Post #17 of 28 (5298 views)
Shortcut
The only added bits I can recall are... [In reply to] Can't Post

some added strangulation both by the river and at Mt. Doom. His added dialogue with Frodo there gives an extra layer of malevolence to his presence in the trilogy, implying that he was never the Smeagol that Frodo thought he was.

I think everything else is the same, save for the added crossroads scene.

Personally, I think ROTK is the worst-paced of the three EEs. Most of the added content is great but it doesn't flow into the framework of the film as neatly as FOTR (but then neither did TTT).

I'm personally not a fan of the drinking contest at all, but I was already at a loss in the theatrical edition as to why there was a big merry party in the middle of a war that is very, very quickly unfolding (but yes, I do intend the intent).

If I were to pick up either the TE or EE DVD, it'd have to be the EE, even if its editing and pacing makes it a lesser film than the TE, I think.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Mar 5, 10:14pm

Post #18 of 28 (5276 views)
Shortcut
Drinking contest [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole premise of the scene is ridiculous - but Legolas is perfect. Spot on. As I said, the only time in either trilogy that he is actually fully and wonderfully Legolas, at least to me. I suppose the question of "what is Legolas" is entirely subjective, but for me it is him in that drinking contest scene.

"We are Kree"

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

Mar 5, 10:25pm

Post #19 of 28 (5273 views)
Shortcut
i find the whole scene kind of confusing... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but with Legolas I just think about all the alcoholics back at home in the Woodland Realm. ;)

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Mar 5, 11:11pm

Post #20 of 28 (5269 views)
Shortcut
The nose curl [In reply to] Can't Post

at the Rohirrim's brew just gets me every time! It's as though he's thinking, "What in all of Arda is this stuff?! Do I really have to drink it???" And then his pride makes him do it!

I can't imagine that that brew was all to tasty to such a "sophisticated Dorwininion palette" Sly

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Mar 6, 2:33am

Post #21 of 28 (5198 views)
Shortcut
For one main reason: [In reply to] Can't Post

the EE undercuts the surprise arrival of Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli at the Pelennor.

In the TE we last see Aragorn challenging the King of the Dead with, "What say you?", then nothing until they jump off the ship with smugness (Legolas) and a determination to kill all Orcs standing between them and Minas Tirith (Aragorn/Gimli).

But in the EE, we see them leave the KotD's lair and take over a Corsair's ship, and the KotD agreeing to join them. That makes their Pelennor arrival just the next thing that happens rather than, "Woah, where'd they come from?"

(Yes, I know the books show their ride from the Stone of Erech but the surprise works better on film, in my opinion.)

The only thing that makes me regret not seeing the EE version is Eomer finding Eowyn on the battlefield. Karl punches right through to the heart with a single anguished cry. Pirate

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

Mar 6, 3:19am

Post #22 of 28 (5194 views)
Shortcut
The most annoying thing is... [In reply to] Can't Post

... all you have to cut is the Dead King saying, "We fight" at the end of the first extended Dead Army sequence and delete the extended :55 Corsair attack sequence to preserve that "suspense."

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 6, 3:35am

Post #23 of 28 (5190 views)
Shortcut
Could we also [In reply to] Can't Post

cut the avalanche of skulls? Pretty please? Tongue

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

Mar 6, 3:48am

Post #24 of 28 (5188 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

That oneís an acquired taste!

Iíve grown to like it, but initially found it out of place tonally.

Lindele
Gondor

Mar 6, 6:39pm

Post #25 of 28 (5097 views)
Shortcut
For more than one reason [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe The Hobbit should be watched before LOTR -

1 - Chronological and that's what the creators intended

2 - The Hobbit adds to LOTR. No matter how people feel about The Hobbit movies, they add depth to LOTR. When we watch LOTR we can reference things. we can understand Bilbo on a much, much deeper level, among other things.

3 - LOTR are far superior films and a much better way to end such an intense marathon. Ending a 20 hour marathon with BOFA would be a bit anticlimactic considering ROTK is as climactic and epic as it gets.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.