Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: TV Discussion: The Rings of Power:
What about the soundtrack of the Amazon show?

Gimli1252
Bree

Feb 22 2019, 4:11pm

Post #1 of 18 (2642 views)
Shortcut
What about the soundtrack of the Amazon show? Can't Post

Hello there! News start to flow for Amazon's Middle-Earth series, and I am getting really excited for the upcoming journey
(if the show is done properly and with respect to Tolkien's work). Opinions are divided, with some wanting a shared universe
with PJ's films and also some kind of involvement from him to the project, whereas others want Amazon to produce something
entirely original.

I agree with the latter, the show will benefit if it distincts itself from the movies, and I am a huge fan of the movies (all six of them),
because it will not have to deal with continuity issues and other similar issues . However, the only thing that I absolutely want to be
in common between the show and the movies is the music. Mr. Shore's music elevated the whole series in my opinion, and I would
definitely want to hear some of his previous themes and of course new themes.
What do you think? Will Amazon approach Mr. Shore to write new themes for the show or even use already existing themes?
Do you have any preference for another artist?

Cheers

''There is one dwarf yet in Moria, who still draws breath''

(This post was edited by Gimli1252 on Feb 22 2019, 4:13pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Feb 22 2019, 6:35pm

Post #2 of 18 (2562 views)
Shortcut
I've been listening to Celtic music recently [In reply to] Can't Post

And I feel like that is what I'd want to see (or, rather, hear) from the new show: I don't have any particular artist in mind, except maybe Celtic Woman, as I'm a huge fan of their work, and they seem to be huge fans of LOTR, so I'd love if they could get a place in the soundtrack.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Feb 22 2019, 7:52pm

Post #3 of 18 (2538 views)
Shortcut
Brunuhville [In reply to] Can't Post

Is one artist whose music perfectly captures a fantasy spirit, especially when combined with the majestic vocals of Sharm. Their work can be found on YouTube: I definitely recommend you check it out. Also, even though much of LEAH's music is "Celtic metal", she does have quite a large repertoire of beautiful traditional Celtic music that is quite evocative of Tolkien's world: especially her rendition of "Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep", which, when I heard it, reminded me immediately of Theoden's death. So yeah, Celtic Woman, Brunuhville and LEAH are currently some of my favorites in the Celtic and fantasy music genre. I'll probably be able to think of more too - but those ones were the ones I just remembered, since, coincidentally, I was just listening to their music.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Feb 22 2019, 7:59pm

Post #4 of 18 (2534 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

as it would seem Amazon feels the need to set this series in the Peter-verse, bringing on Howard Shore to do the soundtrack seems very probable. This is not a bad thing, as Shore's score is the one constant positive in both of PJ's trilogy, and the only bright spot in TH.

Lindele
Gondor

Feb 22 2019, 8:19pm

Post #5 of 18 (2531 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

my heart could take the excitement of finding out Shore is doing the music for this. But it'll do it's best.
That would be so amazing.
I don't think the series needs to be so obsessed with continuity with PJ's universe that it suffers, but I think along with music, if the art and design were from the same world that would be a benefit to all.
Perfection can't be improved upon, unfortunately!

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Feb 22 2019, 9:29pm

Post #6 of 18 (2503 views)
Shortcut
It would indeed be very joyous [In reply to] Can't Post

And I for one would welcome his return to Middle-earth, if he felt up to it.

uncle Iorlas
Rohan

Feb 24 2019, 12:35am

Post #7 of 18 (2434 views)
Shortcut
Never cared for the soundtrack in Jackson [In reply to] Can't Post

All I really remember about it was that it was bombastic and never shut up, even when a scene should logically be quiet. In this as in every other dimension, I think coming at things fresh, and from a wholly different approach, would be exciting.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Feb 24 2019, 3:09pm

Post #8 of 18 (2328 views)
Shortcut
yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

even though I enjoyed Shore's score overall, I really would prefer a fresh new take on Middle-earth, leaving behind all elements of PJ's interpretation, in attempt to create one more faithful to Tolkien's vision. After the complete disaster that was TH, I don't want to be reminded of it while watching this new series, and I know I'm not alone in feeling this way.

Chen G.
Gondor

Feb 24 2019, 3:21pm

Post #9 of 18 (2323 views)
Shortcut
Well tough luck [In reply to] Can't Post

The map seems to clarify that this series will take place in Middle Earth as visualized by Jackson.

Being that it does, it may as well tie into the entirety of the filmic "canon", rather than base itself upon The Lord of the Rings and ignore The Hobbit.

If you feel that strongly on the matter, than don't watch the blasted thing when it comes out!

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Feb 24 2019, 3:27pm)

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Feb 24 2019, 3:43pm

Post #10 of 18 (2312 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am aware that this is going to likely cater to fans of Jackson's movies...I was simply agreeing with the previous poster that a non-Jackson inspired series would be a nice thing to see.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Feb 24 2019, 5:44pm

Post #11 of 18 (2267 views)
Shortcut
To each their own, but [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you really feel that pieces of the score such as "The Breaking of the Fellowship" or "The Grey Havens" or even "The Return of the King" were bombastic? Each of those three tracks brings tears to my eyes. What about the track for Lorien - I can't remember if it's simply called Lorien, I'm pretty sure it is. Or "Concerning Hobbits"? Bombastic is not a word I would use to describe any of those pieces of the soundtrack. I'm aware that you only watched Fellowship, if I recall correctly, but there are in that film so many beautiful and quiet pieces of music that I'm rather confused as to why you would describe them as "bombastic".

uncle Iorlas
Rohan

Feb 25 2019, 4:05am

Post #12 of 18 (2194 views)
Shortcut
Bombast lambasted [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Did you really feel that pieces of the score such as "The Breaking of the Fellowship" or "The Grey Havens" or even "The Return of the King" were bombastic?

Well, of course I haven't made such a study of the soundtrack that I'd know individual track titles. Really I barely remember it, so I'm not going to make any strong stand about it one way or another. What I do remember that it sometimes intruded on the action--for example in Moria, where you'd never guess our characters were spending anxious days in claustrophobic darkness and silence.

There may have been quieter moments and if I don't particularly remember them then I suppose they were doing their job. That's fine. But nothing to write home about either.

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 26 2019, 10:13am

Post #13 of 18 (2105 views)
Shortcut
Andrew Powell // [In reply to] Can't Post

Character is what we do on the internet when we think no one knows who we are.

Lindele
Gondor

Feb 28 2019, 3:15am

Post #14 of 18 (1939 views)
Shortcut
Howard Shore says [In reply to] Can't Post

“I spent so many happy years traveling through Tolkien’s world. If I was able to return and explore a bit more in a creative environment, I would be very interested to do so.”

Source:
https://www.lootcrate.com/...omposer-howard-shore

(This post was edited by Lindele on Feb 28 2019, 3:23am)

Silmaril
Rohan

Feb 28 2019, 1:24pm

Post #15 of 18 (1898 views)
Shortcut
If Howard Shore will do it, then hopefully [In reply to] Can't Post

"Music Composed, Orchestrated and Cunducted By Howard Shore" again!

jlj93byu
Rivendell

Feb 28 2019, 3:09pm

Post #16 of 18 (1880 views)
Shortcut
We can fervently hope! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well that is a glimmer of hope! Even if he isn't able to score the entire series, I would at least be happy with him composing the overall themes. Granted, if he just comes back to score the whole series, I would consider that a home run. A chance to hear newly composed music from Middle-earth by the maestro himself would be divine. I am a soundtrack guru (I own over 400) and yet what is at the top of my list? LOTR, easily.

Gimli1252
Bree

Feb 28 2019, 4:18pm

Post #17 of 18 (1864 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the suggestion, I ll definetly check it out. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Gimli1252
Bree

Feb 28 2019, 4:23pm

Post #18 of 18 (1866 views)
Shortcut
That would be awesome. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's hope people from Amazon read this as well and want him to compose, orchestrate and conduct!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.