Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! February 21

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 21, 2:29pm

Post #1 of 8 (2711 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! February 21 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

Well met and here we are again. I hope your days have been kindly and any plots or schemes you're growing are successful... but only if they include some form of fun, food, relaxation or mileage accumulation ;)

The weather is still high on the topic list in my neck of the woods here in mid-Michigan. We have a 15 to 20 degree swing over a 4-day period from cold to warm and cold again. Crazy! One day I'm bundling up like the Stay-Puft Marshallow Man just to go out to the mailbox, and the next I stroll out the door without a jacket. Gotta love the suspense! :D

So how are you coming along on your Quest? DO TELL! You'll be surprised how fast the miles add up!

Gandalf, the hobbits and I are travelling the 397 miles from Rivendell to Bag End. We've FINALLY left the Midgewater Marshes well behind us and we all feel like we're a bit more relaxed now that we're heading for Bree.

See you on the Road!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 28, 12:34pm

Post #2 of 8 (2639 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond!! February 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

Here we are standing on the precipice... falling from February squarely into March! For those of us in the snow-zones, it's the last mad dash into a month of wintry weather running head-on into Spring! FINALLY! Those of us in the Southern Hemi are hopefully enjoying some very fair weather, though I'll bet it's quite hot most times. I'll do anything to get some mileage...so this little marathon is one I'm delighted to make :D I'm getting out the shovel again this morning for an hour or so of clearing the driveway and mailbox before the poor postman tries to drive up. I've also still been working on my basement purge. Building more 8 ft tall and 8-10 ft long shelves to keep things off the floor and loading the SUV with recycling. Did I mention there are 13 steps to the basement stairs? Taking those 20-30 times up (with loaded arms) and down feels like more of a workout than everything else!

So how are you coming along on your Quest? This is a heavy-duty month for the Fellowship and the whole of Middle-earth... so it's going to be fun to try and keep up! ;)

Gandalf, the hobbits and I are travelling the 397 miles from Rivendell to Bag End. It's been raining a LOT; but we've finally reached the South edge of the Chetwood. Next stop, the Prancing Pony and some of Butterbur's very fine Wizard-zapped beer!

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 28, 12:37pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 7, 2:45pm

Post #3 of 8 (2132 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! March 7 [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome Fellow Travellers!

And Welcome to March! :D For many of us, we're a step *kaff* closer to Spring and warmer weather. I know I'm planning a yard party around all of the cleanup of broken branches and thousands of black walnuts covering the ground in one solid mass that need to be raked up. GOOD WORKOUT! I normally get an average of 16 construction-size wheelbarrows full of walnuts from my 40+ foot tree. If you're not familiar with walnuts off the tree, they're about 2 inches round with a very pungent green, coarse shell around the nut.

The squirrels like to eat them during the winter, but the broken shards of the hard part of the shell is like walking on broken glass. Very painful and hard to clean up. So I'm really looking forward to it ;)

rrMy black walnut trees.................................................... fallen walnuts cover ground............................................. walnuts w/skins

eaten walnut shards

So how are you doing on your Quest? Do you like to keep track of where you are with the Fellowship charts? If you want any help placing yourself with their place on the trail, I'm very happy to help you out with that.

Gandalf, the hobbits and I are travelling the 397 miles from Rivendell to Bag End. Much to all of our relief, we've finally made it to Bree. We headed straight for the Prancing Pony and a good talk with Barliman. But probably the best part of it is when Sam found out Bill the Pony found his way there! After all that Sam's been through, this is an incredibly happy outcome :) Moving on for home, though, we were sad to see Gandalf leave to visit with Tom Bombadil. So we're riding on for Hobbiton as fast as we can.

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 14, 11:24am

Post #4 of 8 (2009 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! March 14 [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome Fellow Travellers!

Here we are in Mid-March, and there's LOTS going on in Middle-earth right now. Everyone seems to be closer to where they need to be in this war.

Thankfully I'm not at war, except with Mother Nature. We've got warm weather moving in that's quickly melting the piles of snow around my house, so I'm pumping the outdoor swimming pools that have appeared in the yard next to the wall! YIKES! I'm going to see if my prep to keep the water out of my basement will works. And the dirt road I live on has officially become a mud-bog. Four-wheel drive is the only way to get through it. The ground hog was right, Spring is coming early... which is FINE WITH ME! :D

How are you coming along with your Quest? Are you following a plan or a chart... or are you a rogue out there on your own?

Gandalf, the hobbits and I are travelling the 397 miles from Rivendell to Bag End. We're getting so close to home! We've just passed the Old Forest to the south, but is hidden in the rain.

I hope you're enjoying your journey :) See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 14, 1:38pm

Post #5 of 8 (2005 views)
Shortcut
Just think! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Gandalf, the hobbits and I are travelling the 397 miles from Rivendell to Bag End. We're getting so close to home! We've just passed the Old Forest to the south, but is hidden in the rain.

If you'd pushed on for just a few more miles you could have spent the night at the Bridge Inn at the Brandywine Bridge and enjoyed a hot meal, an ale and a night's sleep in a soft bed. I hope that a kind Hobbit farmer put you up for the night! Wink

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

noWizardme
Valinor

Mar 14, 5:37pm

Post #6 of 8 (1999 views)
Shortcut
Still driftin' [In reply to] Can't Post

Still going there, not back again. It's Feb. 21 Day/Nt (I'm 278 miles out of Rivendell, or 1198 miles from Bag End (as the hobbit travels).

That's like walking from Oxford nearly to Minsk. (Handy calculator here for turning your Middle-earth mileage back into real-word mileage, starting from any point you choose https://www.timeanddate.com/...clock/distances.html )

The English spring weather has included some very warm days for February, and recently some strong winds. But round here we've avoided the recent snow that hit Ireland and the North-west of England.

And hapy pi(e) day everyone.

~~~~~~
"Go down to the shovel store and take your pick." Traditional prank played on dwarves when they start down the mine.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 14, 5:54pm

Post #7 of 8 (1998 views)
Shortcut
Story of my life... [In reply to] Can't Post

But then I would have missed that tree-root making a hole in my back ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 14, 6:02pm

Post #8 of 8 (1997 views)
Shortcut
That's so cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congrats on your progress... and I love being able to calculate actual mileage, too! THANKS! :D

I spy with my little pi(es)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.