Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Journaling
Poll: Journaling
No, don't keep a journal
No, don't keep a journal but would like to some day
Yes, I journal and have for years
I journal now and then
I just started journaling
I keep all of my journals
I keep my journals for a certain amount of time then pitch them
I throw out my journal as soon as I've filled a book
You mean like keeping a diary and using a pen? People still do that???
Obligatory "Other"
I am male
I am female
View Results (52 votes)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Feb 19, 3:47pm

Post #1 of 10 (2106 views)
Shortcut
Journaling Can't Post

This is just a casual survey of how many of my fellow TORnsibs keep a journal. (Apologies for not putting the options in the most logical manner.)

Though I did not include it in the poll, I would also be interested in finding out if you journal as a daily practice, on an "as needed" basis or only when you've returned from an amazing adventure you barely survived.

Smile

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Feb 19, 9:23pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 19, 8:15pm

Post #2 of 10 (2040 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Started a journal in Jr. High after being inspired by Ralph Waldo Emerson. Besides the usual teenage angst, there are excerpts from various books I read, and music/book/film reviews.. Wrote extensively in little pocket notebooks during foreign travels. Still continuing today via computer files with personal thoughts, attempts at stories, reading excerpts, and stuff copied from the internet.

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Feb 19, 8:19pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Feb 19, 8:41pm

Post #3 of 10 (2031 views)
Shortcut
I do not keep a journal [In reply to] Can't Post

Mainly because I find it very difficult to write with an actual pen. Drawing, I love. But traditional writing is strangely difficult for me: my writing (unless I'm making some fancy handwriting for a drawing) is always rather squashed and untidy. I take solace in the fact that Tolkien himself had incredibly difficult to read handwriting too.

Annael
Immortal

Feb 19, 9:12pm

Post #4 of 10 (2020 views)
Shortcut
kept a daily (well, somewhat daily) journal for years [In reply to] Can't Post

I also did "morning pages" for a while after I read "The Artist's Way."

Nowadays I just write when something is on my mind, or I had a numinous dream I want to investigate. I also keep a record of the Tarot readings I do for myself every few months. It's interesting to see the patterns in those.

Journaling can be a powerful tool. I tell people I basically wrote myself out of my marriage. The "morning pages" have been useful for dealing with what is bothering me: usually about 1.5 pages in, new insights come to me that I don't think I would have reached if I'd just let the old same thoughts roll around in my head. Journaling, like talking to a counselor, forces you to move out of those old thoughts.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 19, 9:24pm

Post #5 of 10 (2016 views)
Shortcut
I keep a travel diary [In reply to] Can't Post

and make notes during my trips so I can look back on my travels over the years, but nothing more personal than that.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Feb 20, 6:22pm

Post #6 of 10 (1931 views)
Shortcut
Love how a journal, [In reply to] Can't Post

a personal log of your inner / outer life, can mean different things to different people. (Richard Armitage does it in character to help him craft his portrayals.)

I think recording your thoughts was much more commonplace than it is now which is kind of a shame.The practice easily adapts to the digital age (Darkstone) so I do wonder why or how it has lost popularity. Not suggesting it's for everyone, but journaling/navel-gazing/scrapbooking, whatever you want to call it, is a tool that can benefit or enrich your life in multiple ways.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Feb 21, 3:16am

Post #7 of 10 (1813 views)
Shortcut
I don't journal... [In reply to] Can't Post

since I find writing about your day incredibly dull and dreary. We had to keep a journal once in a English class I took in college, but I just wrote a story instead (much more interesting).

When I get into Volcanology, I may start journaling (mostly for field notes, since you have to keep track of everything that happens with a specific volcano). I even found a notebook for it on Amazon (there are various ones that show different places in Italy. Naturally, I chose one that shows the top of Mount Vesuvius).Smile

(This post was edited by Dwarewien on Feb 21, 3:25am)

Annael
Immortal

Feb 21, 4:08pm

Post #8 of 10 (1757 views)
Shortcut
I don't write about my day [In reply to] Can't Post

unless I'm traveling, when I keep meticulous notes. Usually I write about what is on my mind, interactions with others, dreams, or ideas. Julia Cameron, who wrote The Artist's Way, does it as a way of unblocking creativity. She found that after she'd been doing what she calls "morning pages" for a few months, she found she was writing a story, which became a novel . . .

Cygnus
Lorien

Feb 21, 5:38pm

Post #9 of 10 (1749 views)
Shortcut
records [In reply to] Can't Post

I started a journal in 1979 at 19 years old and still use it today. I don't put much in there. I average about one entry per month. I keep track of every major good and bad thing that has happened to me. I don't go into details...just a single sentence if even that. I'm so glad I did it. I've gone back hundreds of times to look up things like when a relative died or was born and when I got a new job or met someone famous or got a new car or a major injury....okay, enough examples.

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Jun 5, 3:55am

Post #10 of 10 (543 views)
Shortcut
How often I write can vary by the year, but I would say I do it semi-regular [In reply to] Can't Post

There have been periods where I always did it at least once a week. At other times I do it just when it in the mood or something notable has happened. I actually keep 2 types of journals. One is my regular journal for recording everyday- type feelings and events I want a record of. Then I have a color-coded one just for venting when I really need it, mainly used when I'm really angry/sad/upset. That way I have one for records,rational thought, and introspection and one where I can just go off. I've been keeping a journal since some time in my teens. I have kept most of them, though I did get rid of my journals from a certain time period when things did not go well, which I now regret since I no longer have a record of the good events from that period. I find it really helpful.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.