Post #1 of 85 (4032 views)
Shortcut
A map for the tv show relaesed Can't Post

https://www.facebook.com/...ts/2153886948257810/

Promotion begins

-Irfon

Twitter: @IrfonPennant
middle earth timeline FB: https://www.facebook.com/MiddleEarth1

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Feb 15 2019, 7:08pm)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 15 2019, 3:15pm

Post #2 of 85 (3831 views)
Shortcut
First complaint [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, I'm Back

In all seriousness, we get our first piece of official, marketing? Info? Illustration?

First

Has The added stuff To The east Of rhun been on any od
Official Map Before? Be it Tolkien unreleased scribble or invention by someone else.

If this is an amazon invention, this does not sit well with me at All.

Please someone show me This is rooted in Canon somehow

Also, Cool we finally got something!

In Reply To
https://www.facebook.com/2097056830607489/posts/2153886948257810/

Promotion begins

Welsh hero
Gondor

Feb 15 2019, 4:08pm

Post #3 of 85 (3810 views)
Shortcut
It's new for the show [In reply to] Can't Post

But what will the forest and mountains called. Will they be sutibly Tolkien

-Irfon

hanne
Lorien

Feb 15 2019, 4:08pm

Post #4 of 85 (3815 views)
Shortcut
Do we know that is a real account for the show? [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems an odd posting because I thought those mountains were from History of Middle Earth materials, and I thought Amazon was limited to LOTR and its appendices.
???
The Encyclopaedia of Arda says

A lost range of mountains in the far east of Middle-earth, near Cuiviénen, beneath which the first Elves awoke. Called the Mountains of the East, the name Orocarni literally translates as 'Red Mountains'. …A sketch-map reproduced in volume 4 of The History of Middle-earth shows a long straight mountain-range, running along the eastern coastlands from the far north, … labelled 'Red Mountains'.

Welsh hero
Gondor

Feb 15 2019, 4:15pm

Post #5 of 85 (3796 views)
Shortcut
Amazon shared it [In reply to] Can't Post

And it's a verified account

-Irfon

Archestratie
Rohan

Feb 15 2019, 5:13pm

Post #6 of 85 (3782 views)
Shortcut
At Last [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just glad we're finally getting something. A blank map isn't much, but it's at least a pulse. I just hope that they have some real Middle-earth gurus on staff that know the history and geography by heart. I don't want what's happened to Star Wars and Star Trek to happen to Middle-earth.

I have to say, I'm still excited to see it tho.

uncle Iorlas
Rohan

Feb 15 2019, 6:07pm

Post #7 of 85 (3766 views)
Shortcut
Interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lands East would seem to argue powerfully that it is an Aragorn story--but where's Harad, then, ot even Umbar?

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 15 2019, 6:18pm

Post #8 of 85 (3750 views)
Shortcut
Distorting [In reply to] Can't Post

They are already Distorting the map What else Will they expand or discard?

squire
Half-elven

Feb 15 2019, 6:41pm

Post #9 of 85 (3755 views)
Shortcut
Yes, they've developed a new East, but not (yet) anything new to the South. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't express my feelings yet on this new addition to the clues about the series. It certainly shows they're not going to hesitate to make up anything they will need that isn't already documented from Tolkien's own creation.

I guess I've been in denial about what a shock this is going to be. I thought it was just going to be about screenwriting. But in Middle-earth, it's never just the plot and the writing, it's the entire secondary world with all its intricate names and past history. This series, seemingly, has embarked on inventing entirely new regions of Middle-earth that Tolkien preferred to leave in the fading distance.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

uncle Iorlas
Rohan

Feb 15 2019, 7:22pm

Post #10 of 85 (3726 views)
Shortcut
There's no doing this without invention. [In reply to] Can't Post

Skilful, faithful invention is possible. I too am worried but I don't begrudge them a new forest or mountain range out beyond the white edges. Surely there must be some.

Chen G.
Gondor

Feb 15 2019, 7:43pm

Post #11 of 85 (3721 views)
Shortcut
The Red Mountains [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
ICalled the Mountains of the East, the name Orocarni literally translates as 'Red Mountains'. …A sketch-map reproduced in volume 4 of The History of Middle-earth shows a long straight mountain-range, running along the eastern coastlands from the far north, … labelled 'Red Mountains'.

They're also the location of Dwarven realms, I believe.

I love the idea of expanding the visual palette of Middle Earth to include the east and west.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 15 2019, 7:53pm

Post #12 of 85 (3712 views)
Shortcut
Red Mountains [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't believe this is the same thing, I believe this is far far east, not near rhun, rhun would be fair Central in. Middle earth.

Also they don't have the rights to the history Of Middle. Earth,. Do they?

In Reply To

In Reply To
ICalled the Mountains of the East, the name Orocarni literally translates as 'Red Mountains'. …A sketch-map reproduced in volume 4 of The History of Middle-earth shows a long straight mountain-range, running along the eastern coastlands from the far north, … labelled 'Red Mountains'.

They're also the location of Dwarven realms, I believe.

I love the idea of expanding the visual palette of Middle Earth to include the east and west.

Chen G.
Gondor

Feb 15 2019, 8:06pm

Post #13 of 85 (3718 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn't the description suggest that the Red Mountains are at a roughly equal distance to the Misty Mountains as the Blue Mountains are from those? seems about right.

And I guess getting around rights issues is a lesser issue when you cooperate with the Tolkien Estate.

Point is, if it results in cool visuals, I'm down.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Feb 15 2019, 8:18pm)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 15 2019, 8:15pm

Post #14 of 85 (3704 views)
Shortcut
Don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

No, there's is no way these new map elements which are near rhun have anything to do with what was mentioned, it just doesn't match up.

hanne
Lorien

Feb 15 2019, 8:21pm

Post #15 of 85 (3687 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

hanne
Lorien

Feb 15 2019, 8:22pm

Post #16 of 85 (3695 views)
Shortcut
What about the text posted with the map? [In reply to] Can't Post

The only line of text I can see, above the map, is

Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,

? (I am not good at facebook). Is the rest of the verse there and I just can’t see it? Did someone forget to delete a comma? Or is it the theme of the series?
If it will be the story of the Elven Rings that is quite different from anything anyone has speculated about here yet.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Feb 15 2019, 8:39pm

Post #17 of 85 (3678 views)
Shortcut
That's what I've been wondering about [In reply to] Can't Post

Why post just that one line, not the full poem?

Also, this map is very cool - though I wonder if they removed all the names just to keep us in the dark. I like that's it different, but still feels familiar: I'm happy with this. Very happy, in fact - the east interests me a lot, so I'll be very glad if we see some of that territory.

I love The Hobbit. Always will.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 15 2019, 8:45pm

Post #18 of 85 (3676 views)
Shortcut
Fanfiction [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Why post just that one line, not the full poem?

Also, this map is very cool - though I wonder if they removed all the names just to keep us in the dark. I like that's it different, but still feels familiar: I'm happy with this. Very happy, in fact - the east interests me a lot, so I'll be very glad if we see some of that territory.

Tolkien has Not written any stories about this area, amazon is making it up! Are you very happy that a Middleweight writer is in amazon's office inventing new areas Of Middle earth?

It's scary how people just accept that.

Im Sorry But anything written about the east is purely fan fiction.

Also, who will be inventing the names,. Tolkiens knowledge of old. Languages informs this greatly, will they have consultants versed Europeans old languages? Arrgh it scares me

(This post was edited by balbo biggins on Feb 15 2019, 8:47pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Feb 15 2019, 8:49pm

Post #19 of 85 (3666 views)
Shortcut
This show was bound to be doing some invention, of course [In reply to] Can't Post

If they didn't put anything that wasn't written by Tolkien in the show, it really wouldn't be worth watching: because why not just pick up the book in that case? I'm sorry if I scare you, but Tolkien himself said that he wanted people to come and add to Middle-earth, and if their additions feel consistent with the world, then I'm all here for it.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 15 2019, 9:06pm

Post #20 of 85 (3641 views)
Shortcut
Adding [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm All up for People making his works Into exciting new pieces Of Film and TV, I wouldn't care otherwise but the audacity to think hmmm you know what we should do, ignore the thousand and thousands of Interesting things tolkien has written about and invent out own?

I don't think tolkien meant he wanted to add to his work in that sense. Also that quote that is always thrown around whenever the question of invent g things comes. Up. The world has changed far beyond what he could Envisage when he said that, a billion dollar 50 hour TV. Show is going way beyond adding to his works.at.most he was thinking of art, plays. Music, that sort of thing.

Cirashala
Valinor

Feb 15 2019, 9:09pm

Post #21 of 85 (3649 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

they're working very closely with the Tolkien Estate, so if Christopher Tolkien is willing to work with them then there's one of two possible outcomes/storylines:

1- they make it up but it is consistent with Christopher's notes and memories of the story and the spirit of the story, or2- Christopher has some yet-unreleased materials (notes, etc) that the Estate is willing to let them use as inspiration for the series.

Either way, knowing how much Christopher hated the films that we have gotten, the mere fact that the Estate is working with Amazon for the series when they all but refused to add input to the New Line films is very, very promising that, if not directly taken from Tolkien's writing, will be very much in line and faithful with the ME we all know from the books.

Also, to address your comments above about made up lands- I believe someone here mentioned that those may, indeed, be the Orocarni, which Tolkien himself had created, as per the mention in HoME.

Please don't dismiss something you haven't even seen yet just because you have a bias toward any adaptation of Tolkien's works being brought to film. Even a purist is likely to enjoy this show more than the films, if the Tolkien Estate is involved in the creative process, because Christopher Tolkien is undoubtedly the most ardent Tolkien purist in existence.

I can't imagine any adaptation of ME being less than faithful to the spirit of ME, if not the actual story, if Christopher himself is heading up the creative process.

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Feb 15 2019, 9:11pm

Post #22 of 85 (3651 views)
Shortcut
Despite the fact that that quote gets used a lot, it's still what he said [In reply to] Can't Post

And it seems like every time it gets used, the inevitable response is: "Tolkien didn't mean that: he was referring to music, art, etc,".

And also, the rest of the world is all there, so I don't exactly understand why it's such a problem that there's the addition of a few unnamed mountains on a map. I don't think you can make the case that they're ignoring anything yet, because we don't even know if those mountains will feature, or how.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Feb 15 2019, 9:32pm

Post #23 of 85 (3629 views)
Shortcut
I don't know if David Day is really that reliable [In reply to] Can't Post

But his map of Middle-earth in An Atlas of Tolkien shows the Mountains of the East in the same spot, though his also includes the Sea of Helcar. You had asked in your original post if these mountains had appeared on any map before, and there they have.

Though, as I said, I don't know if he should be trusted, as his map completely disagrees with Tolkien's own maps. I'll look at the maps in HoME, though, where I know Tolkien drew the whole of Arda.

(This post was edited by Thor 'n' Oakenshield on Feb 15 2019, 9:35pm)

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 15 2019, 9:40pm

Post #24 of 85 (3622 views)
Shortcut
Estate [In reply to] Can't Post

Christopher stepped down from the estate so has nothing to do with this series. He is very old now.

It's still a mystery who or what is making all this happen, for all we know the persons running the estate could be just interested. In the money and just let them do what they want.

I feel Like That now Christopher has gone, the floodgates have been opened slightly., and. Some Of That integrity lost.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Feb 15 2019, 9:42pm

Post #25 of 85 (3621 views)
Shortcut
Can anybody tell me what Priscilla feels about this project? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd really like to know that: I understand Christopher stepped down, but Priscilla is thus the only actual child of Tolkien who might have something to do with this series.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.