Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Did you resist the One Ring?

Cygnus
Lorien

Feb 14, 5:33am

Post #1 of 9 (4294 views)
Shortcut
Did you resist the One Ring? Can't Post

I've always loved the scene when Galadriel resisted the One Ring. Often in life we have had to chose between what will make us feel good and what we know is right. There are too many examples so I won't even bother to give one.
I have noticed lately that when I am faced with certain decisions I catch myself more often thinking of Galadriel refusing the Ring and Frodo's constant strength and the movie scene where Aragorn parts ways with Frodo after grabbing his hand and curling it up around the Ring.
I'm not asking for details. In fact, I would highly discourage them....but have you thought of any of this when making a tough decision? Did Tolkien influence you? The influence from those scenes has made an impact on me and made me a better person. I'm not saying Tolkien has changed my life or anything that dramatic. But I will say he has affected it. And for that I thank him.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf (movie quote)

Annael
Immortal

Feb 14, 3:12pm

Post #2 of 9 (4224 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I would say the greatest impact LOTR had on me was teaching me how to persevere when things got tough. I read it when I was 15 and having a rough time, and Frodo's example helped me a lot.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 14, 3:37pm

Post #3 of 9 (4223 views)
Shortcut
WWTD? [In reply to] Can't Post

What would Tolkien do? I read LOTR when I was in grade school, and while it's not the only book or movie to have an influence on me for the rest of my life, it would be in the top 5.

In my case it doesn't comes to mind so much in Ring-like situations when I come to forks in the road, and there's an easy but morally murky choice on one path or a dismal but more ethical choice on the other path--maybe I missed the whole point of the book, haha. Instead, I'd say when in doubt about personal relationships and if I should give up one someone when things have gone badly, the answer is usually no, because Tolkien characters wouldn't. And also when I've already chosen a course of action, and things start going rough, I think of Frodo toughing it out, because he saw himself as part of a bigger picture where his actions affected more than just himself, and that influences my thinking too. Though I would never admit in real life that fictional characters in a fantasy novel influence my real-world decisions--I'd be afraid that I'd be locked up.

Great, thought-provoking question, Cygnus. Thank you!

Cygnus
Lorien

Feb 14, 5:35pm

Post #4 of 9 (4214 views)
Shortcut
easily influenced [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Though I would never admit in real life that fictional characters in a fantasy novel influence my real-world decisions--I'd be afraid that I'd be locked up.

Thank you!

I know what you mean. On the other hand I still like jumping dirt bikes because I was influenced by Evel Knieval when I was a kid. But that's okay because he was real and not fictional. LOL

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf (movie quote)

Saruman
Bree

Feb 19, 4:48am

Post #5 of 9 (3868 views)
Shortcut
Great topic! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a great post. I agree with you and CuriousG, that these fictional characters influenced me throughout my younger years. They still do, and I doubt I'll ever be rid of their lessons.

As I grew up, I went on kicks of favoring different characters. Nowadays, it's kind of a collective thing, but back in my teens I really analyzed - and I mean, to the point of too much analysis - the actions and words of my favorite characters. Looking back, Boromir had a big influence on me. He was my favorite character for a few years. I started not "taking shit" from those who I felt were trying to do wrong by me. I was never soft-spoken or "the quiet one," but Boromir helped bring out in me a sort of proudness, that might have come off as obtuse to many, but for me this proudness helped me remain vocal and outspoken, and to care less about what people thought. In retrospect, like Boromir, I probably came off as an a-hole more than a few times, haha. Oh well. All part of growing up.

"I have seen it..."

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 21, 7:15pm

Post #6 of 9 (3784 views)
Shortcut
Nope. [In reply to] Can't Post

Right after I finished LOTR I went out and bought "The Tolkien Reader" and "Smith of Wootton Major & Farmer Giles of Ham".

Character is what we do on the internet when we think no one knows who we are.

Cygnus
Lorien

Feb 24, 5:14am

Post #7 of 9 (3544 views)
Shortcut
Changing [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes watching your tastes change can be interesting. I have noticed that my favorite characters have changed from my favorite TV shows from back in the day. The only one that didn't change was Ray on "Stingray" (Nick Mancuso) and that's because he was the only star on the show.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 1, 6:44pm

Post #8 of 9 (1336 views)
Shortcut
Was just thinking the same thing- [In reply to] Can't Post

Have any of us here resisted the One Ring, truly?

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 1, 9:24pm

Post #9 of 9 (1316 views)
Shortcut
At first we were torn.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...then we succumbed.

Character is what we do on the internet when we think no one knows who we are.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.