Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TORn Exclusive! FOX Searchlight Pictures "Tolkien" movie trailer!

NewsfromBree
spymaster@theonering.net

Feb 12, 9:48am

Post #1 of 14 (448 views)
Shortcut
TORn Exclusive! FOX Searchlight Pictures "Tolkien" movie trailer! Can't Post

As promised, today we have a very special treat for our readers. Our friends at FOX Searchlight Pictures are letting TheOneRing.net host the premier of the trailer of their highly anticipated movie "Tolkien."¬ For the next two hours, from 7:00 a.m. PST to 9:00 a.m. PST, you'll only be able to see the movie trailer here on TORn, after which it will go live on The FOX Searchlight Pictures site.

Watch the trailer on the Home Page

The movie, "Tolkien," is directed by Dome Karukoski and stars Nicholas Hoult as a young J.R.R. Tolkien and Lily Collins as a young Edith Bratt. The story focuses on the friendships, experiences and romance that influenced Tolkien in his early years.

Did you guess our clues correctly? We posted two clues here over the weekend to help you guess the surprise in store for you today. Some of you guessed clue 1 correctly. 'British Beast' refers to Nicholas Hoult's role as Beast in the "X-men" movies. Clue 2 was a bit more obscure (okay, a lot more obscure). 'Tea with a wise man' refers to Christopher Wiseman, Tolkien's close friend and fellow member of the T.C.B.S. (Tea Club, Barrovian Society), covered in the movie.

"Tolkien" is schedule to open in the U.K. on May 3, and in the U.S. on May 10. Stay tuned to TORn for updates between now and then. In the mean time, enjoy the trailer!

(This post was edited by Altaira on Feb 12, 3:01pm)

Simon L. de Paiva
Bree

Feb 12, 3:16pm

Post #2 of 14 (407 views)
Shortcut
I never realized how much I wanted to watch this film... [In reply to] Can't Post

,,,up until now, when I first watched the trailer. I wonder if the music used was a sample of Thomas Newman's score for the film, maybe it was something else.The two of them ( Nicholas and Lilly) looked absolutely lovely. The "fantasy" scenes with the horses, left me curious, I noticed a while back on IMDb an actor listed as Gandalf, I wonder how the director will handle those scenes, how Tolkien's imagination, vision of Middle-earth will be shown in the film. Very excited right now!Smile

(This post was edited by Simon L. de Paiva on Feb 12, 3:24pm)

squire
Half-elven

Feb 12, 3:44pm

Post #3 of 14 (396 views)
Shortcut
Promising, promises .... [In reply to] Can't Post

That is encouraging, as far as it goes. I sensed a split in focus.

There was plenty here about 'comradeship' (or 'fellowship', as the final line not-so-subtly puts it) with the four young men of the TCBS toasting and gallivanting about Oxford, and with clear links between the future legendarium's Wars of the First Age (or so I interpreted those shots) and the Great War of 1914-18.

There was a lot less about 'love', i.e. Tolkien's mythicized relationship with Edith, with some treacly dialogue, just a hard-to-understand glimpse of her famous dance in the woods, and a really promising shot of two intertwined trees with light and dark bark.

I imagine the project is torn between delivering some action, along the lines of the New Line films' livelier battlefields, and telling the harder-to-dramatize story of Tolkien's deep inner life and emotional conflicts.

But no -- that's too much. I'll say instead that I imagine the trailer's editors were not torn at all about what to throw onto a 1-minute screen preview. Spectacular action and fight scenes, or dreamy-eyed voice-overs about mythology and language? Hmm... what to do, what to do.

Certainly I do want to see this film even more now; there is enough here to suggest they may well get it right as a biopic.

And thanks so much to the TORn PTB for this sneak preview of a preview! Very thrilling as an event in itself .. even if there was almost nothing in the clip about Christopher Wiseman sipping his cuppa with John Ronald and the boys.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 12, 3:51pm

Post #4 of 14 (391 views)
Shortcut
Oooh [In reply to] Can't Post

It's definitely promising. There's a lot of fantastical elements in that trailer though, I hope they still ground it (especially the WWI scenes) in reality.

Is it just me or is there a slight Heavenly Creatures-esque feeling about it?

Storm clouds

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Feb 12, 4:46pm

Post #5 of 14 (378 views)
Shortcut
I'm a little concerned it's all about the creation of LotR, not the Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

From the Black Rider, to the scenes of Mordor, to the line about Fellowship, and the Ring turning into the O in Tolkien - plus the fact that the IMDB page shows that someone has been cast as Gandalf, and Sam - and the Entertainment Weekly photos that showed drawings of the Paths of the Dead and Shelob on the walls of Tolkien's study while he is still clearly a young man in the same photo (and thus had not created either of those things at that time). So that's what I'm worried about. I don't want them to skip over the Silmarillion just because Lord of the Rings is the more well-known book. Edith looks fine, Tolkien himself I'm still worried about a little, and the fantasy imagery looks a little...peculiar? I don't understand that shot of some lady who looks like a fortune-teller or something? Is that also Edith?
But I'm interested. Concerned, but interested.

I love The Hobbit. Always will.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 12, 6:54pm

Post #6 of 14 (333 views)
Shortcut
Where are the hemlocks? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe it was just the angles chosen, but I couldn't see any in the famous scene of Edith dancing.

The battle imagery suggests, unfortunately to me, that to the degree they mean to show how real life inspired Tolkien's fantasy, that they have Peter Jackson's image of that fantasy in mind.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 12, 6:55pm

Post #7 of 14 (326 views)
Shortcut
Oh I do like this. [In reply to] Can't Post

An interesting teaser indeed. I'm looking forward to the movie. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 12, 7:01pm

Post #8 of 14 (323 views)
Shortcut
Well...... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there's a lot there to be hopeful about. I think my favourite thing in it - and to me the most Tolkienish thing - was the twisted tree. I'd go along with promising, and will look forward to more. Thanks, TORn, for the glimpse! Smile

For still there are so many things
that I have never seen:
in every wood and every spring
there is a different green. . .

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Feb 12, 7:41pm

Post #9 of 14 (316 views)
Shortcut
Yes - look at 0:32 in the teaser [In reply to] Can't Post

And you'll see what appears to be the Balrog's face in the explosion: I'm not sure if that's a coincidence, but it looks exactly like Peter Jackson's Balrog, with a gaping fiery mouth and two eyes. Am I reading way too deeply into that? Because I'm pretty sure that's what it's supposed to be.

I love The Hobbit. Always will.

squire
Half-elven

Feb 12, 9:00pm

Post #10 of 14 (297 views)
Shortcut
I don't think we can pick this too clean [In reply to] Can't Post

Reviewing the "Edith dance" just now, I saw Tolkien lying on some leaves, from an overhead point of view, probably Edith's looking down on him. There was no shot of the setting beyond the reverse shot of the trees over her head, and the ground directly beneath the couple at that instant. They could have been adjacent to a vast grove brimming over with hemlocks and moths, amidst which she'd just danced up a storm, or was about to.

I also didn't mind the Jacksonian echoes of battle (flames, black smoke, orange sunlight, muddy field, cloaked warriors with swords), as those are pretty conventional fantasy tropes by now. I did see the monstrous fire-face at 0:32, but I disagree that that signals Weta's 'Balrog' exclusively.

I found more disconcerting the repeated use of the word 'fellowship' and the manipulation of the O in Tolkien's name to be the Ring. I also found the magic lantern to be a trite device, giving Tolkien a cinematic imagination rather than a literary or painterly one.

But I am prepared to hope for the best, rather than the worst, based on this little glimpse.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 13, 12:49am

Post #11 of 14 (262 views)
Shortcut
I like it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like they will be mixing Tolkienís stories with his life story. Nice!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Wed, 11:40am

Post #12 of 14 (200 views)
Shortcut
This is better than I was expecting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the tidbits and references to Middle-earth, but when it turns to the war imagery... it gets more eerie! That Balrog-esque face appearing in the explosion and the smoky forms rising on the battlefield next to the huge fire and smoke figure in front of Tolkien are making this more than a biography, imho! This is going to be so cool!! *twitch*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Belegdir
Lorien

Wed, 2:47pm

Post #13 of 14 (185 views)
Shortcut
Short trailer but intriguing [In reply to] Can't Post

I was worried they would turn his war experience into some sort of action film. That doesn't seem to be the case so perhaps this will be better than I hope.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Wed, 5:45pm

Post #14 of 14 (162 views)
Shortcut
I was a bit "TORN" on that point too [In reply to] Can't Post

I want them to show Tolkien's life grounded in reality, and I want some depictions of his legendarium too. But I lean toward the reality. I've already read LOTR and watched the movies and don't need a rehash, thank you!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.