Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Is Amazon Studios scouting LOTR filming locations outside of New Zealand?

NewsfromBree
spymaster@theonering.net

Feb 10, 6:14pm

Post #1 of 6 (610 views)
Shortcut
Is Amazon Studios scouting LOTR filming locations outside of New Zealand? Can't Post

A report has appeared in Scotlandís Daily Record stating that representatives of Amazon Studios were scouting filming locations for their Lord of the Rings TV project in Scotland over the summer. This story is light on details, so we at TORn are treating this information as rumors, for now. These location scouts purportedly traveled as tourists, checking out various locales around Scotland, which offered the opportunity for a meaningful connection with the local communities.

There is not much else new in this story, the quotes about the LOTR project come from old interviews, Amazon is clearly still playing things close to the vest right now.

In addition to Scotland, rumors of similar scouting trips through Ireland are floating around as well. The speculation is that New Zealand is still the frontrunner, and that while it is important to have back up locations, part of this is a negotiation tactic for a better tax deal in New Zealand. Just after Christmas we posted a story about a meeting between Amazon and the New Zealand Government regarding a lack of adequate filming and post production facilities in Auckland. These meetings happened in December, while these scouting trips supposedly occurred during the Summer.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Feb 11, 2:36am)

Moahunter
Rohan

Feb 11, 10:09am

Post #2 of 6 (541 views)
Shortcut
New £1b Lord of the Rings prequel TV series set to be filmed in Scotland. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very misleading headlinehttps://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/...ngs-prequel-13975405

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Feb 11, 2:34pm

Post #3 of 6 (495 views)
Shortcut
This is interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got a National Geographic guidebook that is filled with some beautiful images of Scotland: I've always thought it would make a good location for Middle-earth. I heard that they might also be scouting in Ireland, which is very fun - I've been listening to Celtic music all week, and I'm in a very Tolkienesque mood right now.

I love The Hobbit. Always will.

Chen G.
Lorien

Feb 11, 5:30pm

Post #4 of 6 (468 views)
Shortcut
Scotland is beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the effect that shooting in Scotland and Ireland had in Braveheart: the landscape instantly conjures up associations of celtic legends and folklore.

But I don't want it to replace New Zealand: if they can augment the look of Middle Earth by shooting in Scotland and Ireland as well as New Zealand - than great. But as a stand-in? Scotland doesn't have the variety of landscape that New Zealand has.

balbo biggins
Rohan

Feb 15, 4:03pm

Post #5 of 6 (192 views)
Shortcut
Scotland is a great choice [In reply to] Can't Post

Give me some example where Scotland couldn't replicate middle earth like new Zealand? I think it easily could and possibly have more variety.

Archestratie
Bree

Feb 15, 4:32pm

Post #6 of 6 (185 views)
Shortcut
Weather [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Give me some example where Scotland couldn't replicate middle earth like new Zealand? I think it easily could and possibly have more variety.

It's a lot more rainy and cloudy.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.