Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Arwen's whereabouts during The Hobbit Trilogy?

DigificWriter
Lorien

Feb 9, 6:26am

Post #1 of 9 (463 views)
Shortcut
Arwen's whereabouts during The Hobbit Trilogy? Can't Post

I decided to rewatch the Hobbit Trilogy and, as I was coming to the Company of Thorin's arrival at Rivendell, a question occurred to me that hadn't before: where is Arwen during these events?

Does anyone know or care to speculate?

Chen G.
Lorien

Feb 9, 10:20am

Post #2 of 9 (431 views)
Shortcut
Probably in Lorien [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book, Arwen is goes back-and-forth between Rivendell and Lothlorien: she's there when she and Aragorn are betrothed, and (if I recall correctly) just prior to Frodo arriving in Rivendell and seeing her.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Feb 9, 2:51pm

Post #3 of 9 (409 views)
Shortcut
I’ve always thought she should have had a cameo [In reply to] Can't Post

And I mean a true cameo - no more than five seconds at the most. She should have been a background character in one of the shots. No introduction to who she is, no dialogue, nothing.

"Behold! the hope of Elvenland,
the fire of Fëanor, Light of Morn
before the sun and moon were born,
thus out of bondage came at last,
from iron to mortal hand it passed."
-The Lay of Leithian

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 9, 4:16pm

Post #4 of 9 (404 views)
Shortcut
Lórien and Rivendell [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen is dwelling in Lothlórien during the time when Aragorn is being raised in Rivendell and returns to Imladris in his twentieth year. Since Aragorn is already an adult in Peter Jackson's Hobbit trilogy, Arwen would have either still been in Rivendell or would have returned to Lórien.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

Chen G.
Lorien

Feb 9, 6:06pm

Post #5 of 9 (389 views)
Shortcut
It should also be said [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson's Rivendell's a big place, so Arwen may be hiding.

In Tolkien's writing, and especially his illustration of the place, its very clearly a single home, albeit a spacious one.

In Jackson's, its hardly a town, buts its an entire complex.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Feb 10, 11:19pm

Post #6 of 9 (261 views)
Shortcut
I've always wondered why PJ didn't include her [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad she wasn't in it! I think a swift cameo would have been fine, but a swift cameo would have been fine for Legolas too. So part of me is glad she's not in The Hobbit.
But I wonder is there an actual reason that they didn't include her? Like, I know they were planning to have Aragorn show up, right, but Viggo refused to do it?

I love The Hobbit. Always will.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Feb 10, 11:59pm

Post #7 of 9 (257 views)
Shortcut
As far as I know... [In reply to] Can't Post

As far as I know, Viggo had been talked about when the possibility of a"bridge" film was being didcussed, but I've never heard anything about him appearing in The Hobbit films themselves.

I do wonder why Arwen wasn't at least mentioned, though, and have never heard anything about whether or not a mention or cameo was ever discussed.

No One in Particular
Rivendell

Feb 11, 4:18am

Post #8 of 9 (226 views)
Shortcut
The Return of the King. No, the *other* King. [In reply to] Can't Post

That was...a meme? Not really. Something that made the rounds on Facebook and the fantasy sites back when the Hobbit was filming.

Supposedly Jackson (or The Powers That Be) wanted a cameo of Aragorn played by Viggo, and his (Viggo's)stated reason for refusal was because Aragorn was not in the book.

Of course, this was on the internet, so apply liberal amounts of salt grain when considering it's validity.

While you live, shine
Have no grief at all
Life exists only for a short while
And time demands an end.
Seikilos Epitaph

(This post was edited by No One in Particular on Feb 11, 4:19am)

Chen G.
Lorien

Feb 11, 9:11am

Post #9 of 9 (194 views)
Shortcut
In the commentary [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson does comment that they thought of ways to incorporate Aragorn and Arwen into the end of The Battle of the Five Armies.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.