Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Are There Scenes You're Glad PJ Left Out?

Saruman
The Shire

Feb 10, 6:01am

Post #1 of 12 (598 views)
Shortcut
Are There Scenes You're Glad PJ Left Out? Can't Post

Not because you dislike parts of the book, quite the opposite. Are you happy that PJ left out some scenes from the book, so that the images of those parts aren't influenced by the film's interpretation? I often find myself picturing tons from the movies when I read LotR - the actors, the scenery, the structures, etc. But in the case of some parts that weren't filmed, we are left with our own imagination.

I'm glad that he didn't film The Old Forest - Tom Bombadil - the Barrow-downs. Those chapters are arguably my favorite parts in the Fellowship of the Ring, and I like how I have my own images in my head for those scenes.

Same goes for the Scouring of the Shire.

"I have seen it..."

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 10, 11:39am

Post #2 of 12 (546 views)
Shortcut
Many Partings and Homeward Bound [In reply to] Can't Post

Good question, Saruman. In a movie that was already criticized as having "too many endings," it would have been even worse to include the chapters of Many Partings and Homeward Bound. And just try to imagine this making good cinematic fodder:

Often long after the hobbits were wrapped in sleep they would sit together under the stars, recalling the ages that were gone and all their joys and labours in the world, or holding council, concerning the days to come. If any wanderer had chanced to pass, little would he have seen or heard, and it would have seemed to him only that he saw grey figures, carved in stone, memorials of forgotten things now lost in unpeopled lands. For they did not move or speak with mouth, looking from mind to mind; and only their shining eyes stirred and kindled as their thoughts went to and fro.

Yeah, right. After sitting through 3 hours of battle and drama, everyone wants to watch this. Evil

Though I wish there had been some way of including The Scouring of the Shire and Saruman's & Wormtongue's deaths.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Feb 10, 11:16pm

Post #3 of 12 (495 views)
Shortcut
A scene I'm glad they left out? [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin running around naked on the Barrow-downs. Laugh

I love The Hobbit. Always will.

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 11, 7:56am

Post #4 of 12 (436 views)
Shortcut
I really must [In reply to] Can't Post

read that book one day. Laugh

Saruman
The Shire

Feb 12, 1:20am

Post #5 of 12 (359 views)
Shortcut
Hahaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh Couldn't agree more Thor.

CuriousG, agreed, although I like having my own images for the Scouring of the Shire, it would have been cool to see on film as it is the coming full circle of the hobbits journey. I really would have liked to see Saruman's actual death instead of that bullsh*t we got in the RotK extended edition.

"I have seen it..."

Cygnus
Lorien

Feb 12, 1:37am

Post #6 of 12 (360 views)
Shortcut
Good question [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only read two of the four books so far and off the top of my head I can't think of anything. I'll give it more thought. I do agree that naked hobbits running around would have been something I would have fast forwarded.....super fast forwarded.....speed of light fast forwarded...super fast speed of light fast forwarded.....or faster.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf (movie quote)

Saruman
The Shire

Feb 12, 2:30am

Post #7 of 12 (350 views)
Shortcut
To add onto the naked running hobbits, how about... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the bath scene at Crickhollow? Unsure

"I have seen it..."

hanne
Lorien

Tue, 4:19pm

Post #8 of 12 (279 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very funny :)

*Elsewhere* in that scene, I have such a vivid mental image of the barrow-wight hand stalking around the corner - so utterly terrifying. I don't know if it would be better or worse to see that on screen.

Saruman
The Shire

Tue, 11:04pm

Post #9 of 12 (242 views)
Shortcut
the Barrow-downs [In reply to] Can't Post

I love how that chapter reads like a horror/fantasy short story. Although I like having my own images of it, I wouldn't mind seeing a "short" adapting that spooky chapter to film entitled solely "Fog on the Barrow-downs" :)

"I have seen it..."

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Thu, 3:19pm

Post #10 of 12 (175 views)
Shortcut
Bombadil and the Barrow Downs, but for different reasons [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not that I actively dislike those chapters, but I do always rush through them a bit. I want to get to Bree (and Aragorn!) and the tonal shift in the Bombadil bits jars slightly, to my mind. And apart from being the part where Merry and Pippin get their swords, which are important later, there's no real story-telling importance to them.

If I think about it, probably the Pippin, Beregond and Bergil scenes in Minas Tirith too. I like Beregond and Bergil as characters, and Beregond has such an important role in the book, but introducing more minor characters at that point in the story would not have worked either.

Storm clouds

Noria
Gondor

Thu, 7:12pm

Post #11 of 12 (148 views)
Shortcut
Tom Bombadil [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Tom and Goldberry in the book. But i simply can't imagine how a fat old dude hopping around and singing derry-dol-derry could be made to be anything but ridiculous on screen. IMO it would detract from the movie. It may be my imagination that is lacking or it might be that I'm scarred from the old LotR computer game that I played years ago.

I don't find that the the visual images from the films have replaced those engendered by the books, perhaps because I had read the books so many times before the movies came out. Well, maybe when I envision Middle-earth I see PJ's beautiful version in a general way. But I do sometimes hear the actor's voices when I'm reading dialogue, especially that of Ian McKellan.

When I first saw FotR, I was surprised at how closely it followed the book. IMO pretty well everything that was cut had to be excised in order to make movies out.of such weighty volumes. I love every side-plot, description and page of heavy exposition in the book but recognize that a movie has to stick to the plot, move along smartly and have fewer than half a dozen endings.

Chen G.
Lorien

Thu, 7:41pm

Post #12 of 12 (144 views)
Shortcut
I could think of a way of including Tom [In reply to] Can't Post

But its really little more than The Hobbits, fleeing Ringwraiths, catching a fleeting glimpse of him across the forest and continuing on their journey.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.