The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
They Shall Not Grow Old was just talked about on morning news show

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 8 2019, 6:49pm

Post #1 of 10 (1063 views)
Shortcut
They Shall Not Grow Old was just talked about on morning news show Can't Post

On Friday 2/8, Morning Joe on MSNBC just did a segment on Jackson's "They Shall Not Grow Old". They were very impressed with how this history was handled and the homage to those who fought in WWI and identified it as a "Stunning new documentary on WWI".

Here's the segment from their site: They Shall Not Grow Old w Peter Jackson

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Feb 8 2019, 9:32pm

Post #2 of 10 (1033 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad it's getting some attention - [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it should be required viewing for anyone studying World War One, it's remarkable what has been achieved in bringing those harrowing times to life.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 9 2019, 4:17am

Post #3 of 10 (1027 views)
Shortcut
That's a mini-version of what I just saw! [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a good crowd in the theater tonight, mostly older folks but also some older teens or young 20's. Peter Jackson came on the screen first and introduced the film, and said there would be a half-hour presentation after the film's credits regarding how the film was made.

And were we grateful for that extra bit afterward. I doubt we could have stood up for a while right after the film ended, in fact the entire theater was completely silent, no one moved, I don't know how many besides me were searching through their purse for a tissue.

It hits you. Hard. And you are THERE. Immersed in the unimaginable experience. The voices of the soldiers become your companions. And they revel in their camaraderie, and endure the misery of the trenches, and they die. More than once I thought of Tolkien involved in this...and was thankful for the illness that took him away from it.

Wherever anyone can find it playing, by all means, go see it.

Thank you, Peter and crew. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 9 2019, 1:27pm

Post #4 of 10 (1015 views)
Shortcut
A work of love [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think anyone else would have given so much honour or emotional work to the films/interviews of those people (not just soldiers) Keeping those souls alive and showing the truth of war. I'm so glad you were able to see it and that the audience was so diverse and respectful.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 9 2019, 7:45pm

Post #5 of 10 (1010 views)
Shortcut
When I saw it, [In reply to] Can't Post

I was not the only one in the theater who sang along to Mademoiselle from Armentieres. We were all so caught up in the film that joining in the song just seemed totally natural.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Feb 10 2019, 11:08am

Post #6 of 10 (992 views)
Shortcut
I remember my grandfather, who had been a Tommy [In reply to] Can't Post

in the trenches, singing that to me - or starting too! - when I was young. My mother shushed him, she was probably worried in case the words got a bit risque. I remember hiim saying that the only French he knew (that he was prepared to repeat to my tender ears) was 'Avez vous cafe?' I can't imagine what he went through - he was one of the lucky ones though, as he had his right thumb blown off at Ypres and came home in 1917 relatively intact.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 10 2019, 2:19pm

Post #7 of 10 (986 views)
Shortcut
Same in my theater! [In reply to] Can't Post

There was singing going on around us. I didn't sing along, I only know the "chorus" part of the song, and was too busy reading the credits! Laugh

Definitely, all of us were "caught up" in that movie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 11 2019, 7:47am

Post #8 of 10 (973 views)
Shortcut
This was a nice story [In reply to] Can't Post

If anyone missed it.

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 11 2019, 10:22am

Post #9 of 10 (965 views)
Shortcut
Now that is special. I did miss it. Thanks for posting. / [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Feb 11 2019, 1:52pm

Post #10 of 10 (959 views)
Shortcut
Oh wow! That's wonderful... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'll bet they found some comfort to see him before he was injured... so young.

I know I've been thinking about that for my Dad who was in action in WWII. What was he like before, what were his dreams and plans for his life?

The freedom of youth lost to so many.

Thank you Starling

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Feb 11 2019, 1:54pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.