Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Dol Guldur assault on Lothlorien and Woodland Realm

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Feb 7, 5:29pm

Post #1 of 9 (402 views)
Shortcut
Dol Guldur assault on Lothlorien and Woodland Realm Can't Post

How far did the forces of Dol Guldur managed to reach in Lothlorien? Did they set foot in Caras Galadhon? What about the Woodland Realm? Was Amon Lanc invaded?

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Feb 7, 5:39pm

Post #2 of 9 (382 views)
Shortcut
When are you talking about? [In reply to] Can't Post

Amon Lanc is Dol Guldur- the name changed after Sauron took up residence in the abandoned elven fortress.

If you're talking about the War of the Ring, at that time Thranduil's Halls were MUCH further north near the Lonely Mountain, whereas Amon Lanc/Dol Guldur was in southern Mirkwood hundreds of miles away.

As to whether or not they set foot in Caras Galadhon, I have no idea. But as far as Thranduil's Halls go, it was said in the appendices that fierce war waged under the trees in Thranduil's realm even as the Lonely Mountain and Dale were besieged. So that part of the war took place in the far north-east of Mirkwood.

If you're speaking about Sauron's first assaults at the end of the Second Age, I don't think those areas were completely breached. Amon Lanc had already been abandoned by Oropher, Legolas's grandfather and Thranduil's father, due to what he felt was an intrusion of Celeborn and Galadriel and the rising might of Khazad-dum/Moria, and he had moved further north into the central mountains/dark mountains of Mirkwood at that time. And rather than fighting under those trees, he joined the rest of the host (though not marching under Gil-galad formally) at the battle of the Dagorlad Plain in Mordor. So I do not know of Dol Guldur had played much of a part in the first war with Sauron.

And during those assaults, I do believe Lorien was attacked, though I do not think the forces of Sauron reached Caras Galadhon. Nimrodel was forced to live in a flet because the borders of Lorien were not safe, and this eventually led to her and Amroth being lost after leaving Lorien for the elf haven in southern Gondor. But as far as Caras Galadhon, I don't think they reached it.

This is the best I know, considering. But you might wait for others who are more well-versed in the events of the Second Age to chime in as well Smile But as far as the War of the Ring goes, Dol Guldur was already occupied by Sauron's forces and the fight mentioned in Mirkwood was fought in Thranduil's realm, which was several hundred miles north of Amon Lanc/Dol Guldur by that time.

But yeah- Amon Lanc and Dol Guldur are the exact same fortress, just renamed Wink

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Elthir
Grey Havens

Feb 7, 10:11pm

Post #3 of 9 (369 views)
Shortcut
my interpretation of . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

"Though grievous harm was done to the fair woods on the borders, the assaults were driven back; . . ."

. . . is that no orc ever came near Galadriel's House!

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Feb 8, 12:41am

Post #4 of 9 (356 views)
Shortcut
Which war is this quote referring to? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Last Alliance or the War of the Ring? I'm curious Smile

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Elthir
Grey Havens

Feb 8, 3:09am

Post #5 of 9 (346 views)
Shortcut
War of the Ring, Appendix B [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't recall Lorien being attacked in the Last Alliance though.

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Feb 8, 3:31am

Post #6 of 9 (343 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Elthir! [In reply to] Can't Post

I figured it was, but I wasn't 100% certain Smile

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

InTheChair
Lorien

Feb 9, 3:09pm

Post #7 of 9 (298 views)
Shortcut
Not far, no, same and yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

If you mean in the years 3018-3019?

In June 3018 Thranduils realm was invaded by a raiding party, and Gollum escaped. The Raiders were driven off. Presumably they never passed the woodland kings doors, and most of the fighting took place under the trees.

In March 3019 there was an assault on Lorien.

Four days later Lorien was assualted again.

On this same day Thranduils realm was invaded, but again Thranduil had the victory, and most likely not much fighting, if any, took place behind the kings doors.

Seven days after that Lorien was assaulted a third time.

The assaults on Lorien never reached farther than the border woods before beeing driven back. So at a guess nowhere near Caras Galadhon.

After the destruction of the ring the forces of Lorien and possibly (unconfirmed?) the woodland realm assaulted Dol Guldur (which is on Amon Lanc) and threw it down,

(This post was edited by InTheChair on Feb 9, 3:10pm)

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Feb 10, 2:36am

Post #8 of 9 (269 views)
Shortcut
Sauron sent his forces on a suicide mission? [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't the Dol Guldur army know they didn't have the slightest chance to capture Lothlorien because of Galadriel's power? Did Sauron basically sent them on a suicide mission?

Asger
Bree

Feb 10, 2:01pm

Post #9 of 9 (258 views)
Shortcut
Diversion [In reply to] Can't Post

Meybe they attacked to keep Lorien from helping Gondor and Rohan. He couldn’t have elves marching to Minas Tirith or Helms Deep ;-D

"Don't take life seriously, it ain't nohow permanent!" Pogo
www.willy-centret.dk

(This post was edited by Asger on Feb 10, 2:02pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.