Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Poll: What would you call a Hobbit Beatle, and other silliness.
Poll: Poll: What would you call a Hobbit Beatle, and other silliness.
Bobbits
Beatahobbits
Hotties
Other
This poll is too silly for a serious website like TORN.
Nick Bollinger is having us on.
Bollinger bet Sir Peter he'd have every interviewer asking, "So, Sir Peter, is it true you based the four film Hobbits on the Beatles? Who's who?"
Bollinger made a bet with Sir Peter that he could get TORN to post it.
It is totally true. Peter Jackson based his four LOTR Hobbits on the Fab Four (for the record, write your Hobbit Beatle matchups.)
Other
View Results (18 votes)

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 4 2019, 7:58pm

Post #1 of 15 (4676 views)
Shortcut
Poll: What would you call a Hobbit Beatle, and other silliness. Can't Post

First there were 4 Hobbits. Then there were 4 Beatles. Then there were 4 Whatchamacallits? Hmmmmm.

New Zealand music writer Nick Bollinger recently wrote an opinion piece for RadioNZ on the upcoming Peter Jackson documentary about the making of the Beatles' last film together, Let It Be.https://www.radionz.co.nz/...tle-dreams-come-true

Bollinger claims that his acquaintance with Sir Peter is long and murky, going back decades to the early Wellington film scene and a certain bootlegged VHS cassette. Shocked Bollinger presents a provocative premise linking Jackson's admiration for the Fab Four to his fav four in the LOTR.

Jackson's obsession with The Beatles is genuine and deep-seated, and you don't have to look far for proof. Most obviously, the distinct characters of the four hobbits in his Lord Of The Rings trilogy are clearly patterned after the John, Paul, George and Ringo of the early Beatles films. (underlining added) The Beatles themselves once tried to option Rings for a possible movie, as Paul McCartney confirmed in a chance conversation with Jackson a few years ago.

So, what do you think, Tornfolk? Fact? Fiction? A bit of Kiwi whimsey, Bollinger's or Jackson's? It's your turn to speculate. We need something to do while we wait for news from Amazon. Laugh

NB: I just noticed I crossed into Valinor not too long ago, evidently. How did I miss that? Anywho, here's a mathom from me to you to mark the occasion. Thanks for all the fun, folks!
Liss

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Feb 4 2019, 8:08pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 6 2019, 11:38pm

Post #2 of 15 (4527 views)
Shortcut
Beatified Hobbits. Sainthood is guaranteed when [In reply to] Can't Post

combining great musicians with a great creation by a great author.

It will be great.
TongueWinkCool

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 6 2019, 11:45pm

Post #3 of 15 (4522 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another great example of why "Other" is required in TORn polls.
Let it be.
AngelicAngelicAngelicAngelic

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 7 2019, 7:39am

Post #4 of 15 (4492 views)
Shortcut
Arthur / [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 7 2019, 1:11pm

Post #5 of 15 (4474 views)
Shortcut
*facepalms* [In reply to] Can't Post

Now those hairstyles PJ & co. decided on make sense...Tongue

And they're just good friends.

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 7 2019, 9:11pm

Post #6 of 15 (4437 views)
Shortcut
Darkstone, the master of the non-sequitur. Arthur? [In reply to] Can't Post

Dent? King? Mac? What?! Tongue "Arthur /" is funny all by itself. It is. But if there is more to it, I would really love to know. Ignorance is not bliss. There are no Arthurian pop lyrics, film characters, or literary references in my memory banks that serve the purpose. There was an endearing VW Beetle named Herbie, as I recall.

You win, DS. I'm not too proud. Send me a pm if you don't want to spoil the joke for brighter sparks.
But somebody- anybody!- please put me out of my misery.Laugh

Annael
Immortal

Feb 7 2019, 9:45pm

Post #7 of 15 (4429 views)
Shortcut
perhaps [In reply to] Can't Post

just the most random name he could come up with?

My great-nephew named his hamster "William." William? What kind of a pet name is that?

We once debated the weirdest name possible for a pope and came up with "Buster."

Cirashala
Valinor

Feb 7 2019, 9:50pm

Post #8 of 15 (4422 views)
Shortcut
Pope Buster I [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it! Sly

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2019, 12:16am

Post #9 of 15 (4414 views)
Shortcut
WHAT? Have you never seen what is regarded as one of the best 100 movies of all time? [In reply to] Can't Post

The one given its title by Ringo - "A Hard Day's Night"!

Behold, a clip of the infamous interview. The relevant part starts around 1:35, but watch it all, it's classic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZSaE2iU-io

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 8 2019, 12:26am

Post #10 of 15 (4412 views)
Shortcut
George's hair, Avocados, or Marijuana. (Or all of them at once!) [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dl9JRGDLZE

George seems to be referencing Mad Magazine, specifically the frequently appearing potted avocado plant named "Arthur", reportedly based on art director John Putnam's personal marijuana plant.

(See Figure 4 at http://cultureandcommunication.org/...UnworkableInterface/.)

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 8 2019, 12:40am

Post #11 of 15 (4407 views)
Shortcut
It has been decades - decades! - dernwyn, dear. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just grateful I can still ask the question. Wink
Thanks for a trip down Penny...I mean...Memory Lane.
Liss

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 8 2019, 12:51am

Post #12 of 15 (4403 views)
Shortcut
I don't have that movie memorized... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but close to it! Laugh

What helped is having a daughter who is one of the World's Biggest Beatles Fans. Penny Lane is in my ears and in my eyes...Crazy

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 8 2019, 1:32am

Post #13 of 15 (4400 views)
Shortcut
Oh, surely, it was an avocado plant! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

"Arthur /" is a very good name for a Beatle Hobbit, liking plants - and pipe weed - as they do.
So sorry to have nudged you into explaining a perfect joke...at least for those in the know...of a certain age...who preferred John, Paul, George and Ringo to Chad and Jeremy.Angelic But yesterday's gone, eh? (sigh)

Cheers, O' Sagacious One!

And this one's for you.

Evil

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 9 2019, 3:54pm

Post #14 of 15 (4284 views)
Shortcut
Other: Hobbles! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman
Bree

Feb 19 2019, 4:41am

Post #15 of 15 (3805 views)
Shortcut
Not sure, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...all I can say is, I'm thrilled that there is yet another connection between my favorite book and my favorite musical group of all time! Long live the Beatles!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.