The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
HTTYD: end of the saga

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2019, 11:22pm

Post #1 of 10 (783 views)
Shortcut
HTTYD: end of the saga Can't Post

Without spoilering this last great installment in the How To Train Your Dragon series of, well series, and films...

The Hidden World was awesome, and a fitting conclusion to a great bit of animation and storytelling... while leaving just enough space for fanfics and artists to carry on...

If you've ever had a big dog, or a black cat (there's a whole meme of 30-some cats that look like Toothless), or flown with the wind on a horse, these stories resonate with you.

The heroes have grown, they not only look different physically, but they approach challenges with more confidence... well,, mostly...

Hiccup remains that guy we can identify with.. not always sure of himself but a leader nontheless.

We got a sneak preview here in York PA through Fandango, and the theaters were packed. One kid showed up in a Toothless costume, and a young woman (who could certainly cosplay Astrid) had the plush Build-a-bear Toothless. I wore the black T-shirt I had painted with our favorite Night Fury. A family was lined up in front of the poster doing selfies, with a tired little girl among them who had found some of the movie a wee bit scary.

Yep... nice turn of villainy for oscar winner F. Murray Abraham.

Hopefully, you'll all get a chance to see it soon, here, it arrives for real Feb 22.

I mused a bit on the night fury archetype and how it's always been there for me... https://www.swordwhale.com/...nd-night-furies.html

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Feb 3 2019, 2:28pm

Post #2 of 10 (735 views)
Shortcut
My daughter's a bit of a Toothless fan [In reply to] Can't Post

so I guess she'll be going to see this. Did you see the Toothless audition skit that was on YouTube a while ago? Very funny!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXCpc2Bcirs

(This post was edited by Greenwood Hobbit on Feb 3 2019, 2:33pm)

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 3 2019, 3:41pm

Post #3 of 10 (725 views)
Shortcut
Now THAT is funny! I want one! [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXCpc2Bcirs clickable

Actually, my kitten is pretty much a tiny Toothless...with teeth.
I would watch a whole movie of this. Laugh Or three.

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Feb 3 2019, 3:42pm)

Annael
Immortal

Feb 3 2019, 5:23pm

Post #4 of 10 (717 views)
Shortcut
my black cat does Toothless imitations sometimes [In reply to] Can't Post

I was resistant to the first movie in the series; I was put off by the wiseacre American boy persona of the lead character, which seemed anachronistic to the story. (And I never liked those types when I was in school with them!) But I loved the second movie and am looking forward to the final one.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 3 2019, 7:35pm

Post #5 of 10 (706 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to watch a movie of nothing but out-takes like this between the dragons and the human voice actors! Laugh

I sometimes wonder about my little Toothless, when she stares at me with those green eyes, are you sure you're not hiding wings under that fur? Shocked

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 3 2019, 7:40pm

Post #6 of 10 (705 views)
Shortcut
Any doubts I may have had [In reply to] Can't Post

about the first movie disappeared when I realized they'd made Hiccup left-handed. Cool

I ought to read the books - we've got four of them in our school library.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2019, 7:04pm

Post #7 of 10 (593 views)
Shortcut
with kit harrington [In reply to] Can't Post

who voices Eret...

hilarious!

bigger on the inside...

To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2019, 7:15pm

Post #8 of 10 (593 views)
Shortcut
animation bends reality... [In reply to] Can't Post

into knots.

I feel Dreamworks made a fabulous set of films and series: geeky kid with Big Black Beast, becomes hero, doubts self, becomes leader, is left handed and "handicapped". They totally did their research on animal design, movement, expressions, and viking culture...

and then they bent it sideways.

Anachronism doesn't even begin to cover it...

As somebody who's spent 6 days on the Potomac River on a viking ship (Fyrdraca, or "firedragon") and literally paddled rings around one (the Longship Company's present boat, Sae Hrafn or Sea Raven) in a kayak, and done viking living history (I have friends who know way more than I do)... they clearly looked at vikings and ran off in left field with it all.

Like, sure, why does everyone have a Scottish accent except the kids?

A lot of that is because it's a story aimed at modern kids, not a historical drama.

The weird stuff that happens with the ships that drives me nutz is mostly concessions to story or limitations of (especially TV) animation: ships with no visible steerboards, ships with sails always square across the deck (you MOVE them around to catch the wind), ships with sails always full... ships with insane amounts of room belowdecks (you gotta fit dragons in there!)... ships with outriggers (they probably sailed around the world and met the Polynesians...)...

AND WHERE ARE THE OAR PORTS? THERE ARE NO BACKUP ENGINES, YOU ARE THE BACKUP ENGINE

Vikings with horns... oh...come...on

but it is funny

Hiccup remains a character most geeky types like me can relate to.

And I still love the whole saga.

bigger on the inside...

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 4 2019, 7:17pm

Post #9 of 10 (591 views)
Shortcut
black cats [In reply to] Can't Post

somewhere there is a page of 37 black cats that look like Toothless...

I have three... (ok, one's a Night Light)...

you'll have to see HTTYD: Hidden World to get that one...

https://www.boredpanda.com/...utm_campaign=organic

bigger on the inside...

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way

Annael
Immortal

Feb 22 2019, 2:30pm

Post #10 of 10 (355 views)
Shortcut
Scottish Vikings [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, having recently done my DNA, there was a whole lotta Scandinavian in there that doesn't show up in the documentation of my ancestry . . . there was a lot of cross-pollination as it were . . .

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.