Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
temperature extremes

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 1, 8:41pm

Post #1 of 20 (1009 views)
Shortcut
temperature extremes Can't Post

in light of the weather lately, I thought I'd ask: what's the coldest weather you've ever experienced? The hottest?

Any other extreme weather conditions - like, greatest wind speeds? Add whatever you like.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 1, 8:51pm

Post #2 of 20 (961 views)
Shortcut
my answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Hottest: 6 weeks of 100+ F weather in Boise, Idaho, culminating with temps of 109 F. I moved back to the coast after that summer . . .

Coldest: - 39 F (pretty much the same in C) in the Methow Valley, Washington, in January. We had triple-paned windows but I still had to tack a towel over the window over my bed to cut the draft.

Greatest wind: 100+ mph gale; we stood at the windows in our building and watched trees fall on our cars (fortunately, that day I'd chosen to park in the garage not the lot).

Other: Christmas week in the Methow it snowed 18 inches EVERY DAY for six days straight. Nine feet of snow! It packed down to about six feet, but we had to dig paths. I woke up the last day and thought "I am tired of watching it snow." First and last time I've ever felt that way.

Worst driving: It snowed all day on the ski hill, but we didn't realize it was raining just a few hundred feet below the pass. We left when it got dark and the temperatures dropped - freezing the wet roads which then got a layer of snow on the ice. I was driving and not very worried when we came around a corner to find about 50 cars scattered across the roadway and in the ditches. The Volvo two cars ahead of us hit their brakes and spun into the ditch. The Toyota driver right in front of me kept his head, did NOT hit the brakes, and he and we managed to snake our way through the mess. Another mile on, we had to stop because the roadway was blocked with cars. But after a while I realized no one was coming UP, so I pulled over into the oncoming side and went around the mess. Sure enough, when we got down a little farther we saw that they'd closed the road to traffic going up.

Our friends who decided to have a beer in the pub before heading down the mountains did not get home for five more hours.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

(This post was edited by Annael on Feb 1, 8:52pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 1, 10:12pm

Post #3 of 20 (953 views)
Shortcut
Hottest was about four years ago [In reply to] Can't Post

when it was 32C and humid as heck on Christmas Day. All we could do was sit in the shade of the trees in my brother's garden and not move very much. It was way too hot for any celebratory drink with alcohol in it.

I haven't experienced extreme cold, and quite happy to keep it that way. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Feb 2, 2:31am

Post #4 of 20 (937 views)
Shortcut
117 [In reply to] Can't Post

And that was in the middle of a string of ten consecutive 110+ days. Pitiful when its nearly 90 at midnight.

Cold was 7 when I visited my father in Nevada.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Feb 2, 5:27pm

Post #5 of 20 (884 views)
Shortcut
Oh and the 1977 Bakersfield dust storm [In reply to] Can't Post

Winds up to 175 and dust bowl like conditions

Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

Meneldor
Valinor

Feb 2, 7:23pm

Post #6 of 20 (871 views)
Shortcut
Both extremes for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Growing up in Canada, I've seen -35 quite a few times. And my summers in Saudi Arabia and Qatar went up to 55C/130F, which is just brutal. There's a Bible verse that says "The sun shall not smite you by day" and believe me, it really does smite.

I've seen St Elmo's fire while flying through a thunderstorm. It was really cool, like little blue lightning bolts crawling up the outside of the windscreen pane. Not long after that one of the plane's generators shorted out, which left me a lot less time to appreciate how pretty the effect was.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Lissuin
Valinor

Feb 2, 10:58pm

Post #7 of 20 (852 views)
Shortcut
Well, you all have me beat for extremes, I reckon, (-39F! +130!) [In reply to] Can't Post

but I had a weird thing once in Tucson, Arizona. You know, the desert? It was an Easter weekend in the mid-1970's, lovely blue-sky spring morning, the pansies were blooming. I was just daydreaming, staring out the window, not writing my paper. It started to rain. Some minutes later it started to hail. I mused, "Ha! Wouldn't it be funny if it snowed?" - and it did! This was all within about half an hour. Great big sloppy flakes eventually covered the pansies completely. I changed from shorts to jeans and a jacket and went over to the uni campus. Students were throwing snowballs and there were already snowpeople built. Lots of laughing. (What paper?) It lasted till the next day. Weird. Not nearly as overwhelming as what you in the Mid-west have just had, but weird.

Once on a flight from the US to Sweden we flew south of Iceland. It was night and I had the window shade up, and suddenly there was an amazing aurora. It was a huge green, glowing, shape-shifting curtain that seemed at the same height as the plane. It just went on and on. Remarkable.

Ah, and we do get pretty impressive winds in Wellington now and then. Laugh

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Feb 3, 12:29am

Post #8 of 20 (799 views)
Shortcut
Had the whole year in one day thing happen once. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some friends and I were on the Nevada side of the Sierras one June... it was about 75 there... Fall. We decided to drive over the mountains and go to Yosemite Valley. Got there and the temperature was about 90 (summer) and then on the way back over the Sierras it started snowing on it at the top of Sonora Pass.

Weather is just weird.

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 3, 3:43pm

Post #9 of 20 (658 views)
Shortcut
happened to friends of mine [In reply to] Can't Post

They hiked up to a place called the Enchantments (rightfully so), a basin of lakes in the Alpine Lake Wilderness at about 7,000 feet. It was 80 degrees when they got there. They set up camp still wearing shorts and t-shirts.

Then it got a little cooler, and they put on long pants.

A little cooler, and they put on sweaters.

Cooler still, and they put on parkas.

Then the long underwear and hats as the snow began falling.

It dropped 50 degrees (F) in two hours!

-- Gaston Bachelard

(This post was edited by Annael on Feb 3, 3:44pm)

Annael
Half-elven

Feb 3, 3:54pm

Post #10 of 20 (656 views)
Shortcut
heat at night . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll say this for Boise: it's at 3000 feet, and it's an arid climate, so promptly at 7 every night the temperature dropped 30 degrees. Never had to have the AC on at night.

I cannot ABIDE being hot at night. Can't sleep at all. Could never live in a hot & humid place.

Boise also has a river that winds through town. It's freezing cold (comes out of the bottom of a dam), and half the town would be tubing it on the hot days - your frozen tushie compensating for how hot the rest of you was.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 3, 5:38pm

Post #11 of 20 (645 views)
Shortcut
32 below (F.) [In reply to] Can't Post

I think in 1977. Stepped out on the front porch to sample it, and stepped right back in!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 3, 5:41pm

Post #12 of 20 (644 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and 110F. in Oklahoma City, 1986 [In reply to] Can't Post

That 32 below was in Nebraska. The whole week was below 20-below zero.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 3, 5:44pm

Post #13 of 20 (643 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and in late September. [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked Oklahoma, but not the heat.

Cygnus
Lorien

Feb 3, 10:18pm

Post #14 of 20 (601 views)
Shortcut
Numbers [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, I don't even know. I spent 3 summer camps in the USMC Reserves in 29 Palms California's Mojave Desert but don't know what the temps were. I think the coldest it ever got in my lifetime here in Erie County Pa was around minus 15 without the wind chill. I went up on top of Mount Washington in New Hampshire which had the highest recorded wind speeds in the world but not that day of course and half of my hometown was destroyed in a 1985 tornado but I live 2 miles from its path so wasn't in it. I don't even have a guess with the highest winds I've ever been in.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf (movie quote)

Starling
Half-elven

Feb 4, 7:43am

Post #15 of 20 (553 views)
Shortcut
I can't stand it either [In reply to] Can't Post

We had a night a few weeks ago where it never dropped below about 25, after a 32deg day. The next morning it was 30 again by 7.30 am. Blerk.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 4, 7:28pm

Post #16 of 20 (462 views)
Shortcut
Pennsylvania... [In reply to] Can't Post

has one thing going for it: mildness. Sort of.

This week we've gone from below zero to 50 degrees with snow turning to mud.

Winters tend to hover around zero (F) and summers get into the 90s F

We get the random tornado, but not much, and the edges of hurricanes (a 60 mph wind is pretty BIG).

The hottest I think I've ever been was doing an SCA event in New Castle PA in August, in full armour, and the heat was over 100F. We survived. We called it Pennsic Passout.

Travelling with some friends out west in the 80s we passed over the Rockies in early August. At 12,000 feet we were on tundra looking at snowdrifts hanging off the sides of the mountain. Warm enough for shorts. Our camp at 8,000 ft was also warm... with snowdrifts we could run through barefoot.

Until nightfall. Then the sky was the blackest blackity black ever with a gazillion stars, and I was finding every bit of clothing and blankets and sleeping bags and such to burrow under... I was FREEZING!

Freezing, August, yep...

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Ml 'lain nallol, I sl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Feb 4, 7:29pm

Post #17 of 20 (461 views)
Shortcut
why I'm NOT going to Alaska.... [In reply to] Can't Post

yep, Pennsylvania is cold enough this year... my friends moved to FL to escape it.

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Ml 'lain nallol, I sl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 5, 9:55am

Post #18 of 20 (425 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Negative teens in Thule, Greenland. I still have no idea why I was there. BTW, you do not want to be the one guy at an isolated place who doesn't have an official job. You start accumulating all these unofficial jobs no one else wants to do and no way to say "Sorry, I'm busy".

One hundred teens in Wichita Falls, Texas. Working on a ranch, I occasionally forgot what I was supposed to be doing so I had to stagger over to the one hundred and not quite teens in the shade to duck my head in a horse trough and get my bearings. The horses all stayed in the shade. Smart animals.

I was in the 1979 Red River Valley tornado outbreak, where in one day 59 tornadoes killed 58 people and injured about 100 including one lady who had all the skin on both legs torn off by flying debris. My girlfriend and I had an F4 come straight at us in her apartment building but it dog-legged away just at the last minute. Life changing. I proposed the next weekend. (She said yes,)

Character is what we do on the internet when we think no one knows who we are.

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Feb 5, 9:39pm

Post #19 of 20 (377 views)
Shortcut
There's nothing like a life-threatening experience [In reply to] Can't Post

to spur on matrimony Smile Glad you avoided the tornado though! Must have been a Godsend Smile

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 8, 8:40pm

Post #20 of 20 (232 views)
Shortcut
-25 to 104 F [In reply to] Can't Post

and 100 mph winds. We don't get much rain, but on July 31, 1976, we got 12 inches in three hours.

Oh, wait, we drove through Death Valley one summer and it was 130 degrees. The above temps are for normal places like where I live.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Feb 8, 8:42pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.