Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Why is Galadriel so powerful in The Hobbit?

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Jan 24 2019, 7:21pm

Post #1 of 9 (7838 views)
Shortcut
Why is Galadriel so powerful in The Hobbit? Can't Post

I heard a purist complain why was Galadriel exibhit powers she never had in LOTR..... and that this is plothole in the six-movies saga therefore. What do you think of this?

Case in point: she defeated Sauron.

(This post was edited by Paulo Gabriel on Jan 24 2019, 7:23pm)

Noria
Gondor

Jan 26 2019, 4:47pm

Post #2 of 9 (7617 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel is so powerful in TH because the writers made her so. [In reply to] Can't Post

Boyens in particular talked about how Galadriel was the most powerful person in Middle-earth, presumably as part of the female energy they were trying to inject into the male dominated story. They then had Galadriel rescue Gandalf and banish Sauron, making her more powerful than Elrond or Saruman, even rivaling the Maiar Sauron. Why, therefore, did she not take a more active role in LotR, instead of sending Frodo on his way and remaining in Lothlorien? The answer in the movieverse: Galadriel had permanently depleted her power fighting Sauron. In fact, she was so weak that Elrond had to hold her up and take her back to Lorien, leaving only Saruman to pursue the Necromancer.

IMO, all that was unnecessary. They could have had the two Wizards, Saruman and Radagast, and the two most powerful Elves, Galadriel and Elrond, join together to rescue Gandalf (if he had to be a captive) and drive Sauron from Dol Guldur, none of them being strong enough to do it alone. Saruman could still have volunteered to pursue Sauron and we could imagine that he later falsely reported that the Necromancer had disappeared. Like Elrond, Galadriel would then have remained at home to mind her own domain during the quest of the Ring. In the LotR book of course, she and Celeborn successfully repel several attacks on Lorien during the War of the Ring.

The resolution of the Dol Guldur subplot never satisfied me because of what the writers did with Galadriel. The rest – Elrond, Saruman, Radagast, Sauron and the Nine - worked for me.

I was fine with the effort to add female presence into TH movies. I loved Tauriel and was glad to see Galadriel so prominent. There was no need to make her all powerful.

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Jan 30 2019, 3:47pm

Post #3 of 9 (7168 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your answer clarified a lot. I have to watch the Appendices real bad. Laugh

CMackintosh
Rivendell

Apr 11 2019, 10:02am

Post #4 of 9 (3424 views)
Shortcut
Not that much of a problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually didn't find that too much of a problem. She is one of the Noldor from the Blessed Realm, with great power against both the seen and the unseen. Gandalf and Saruman were forbidden to match Sauron power-to-power; she was under no such prohibition.
It follows that both Gandalf and Saruman could not play the major role in any show of force against Sauron.
And Sauron was not at his full power either - he was still rebuilding his resources then.

Solicitr
Gondor

Apr 11 2019, 3:00pm

Post #5 of 9 (3408 views)
Shortcut
Why? [In reply to] Can't Post

Narrative causality.

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Apr 12 2019, 8:25am

Post #6 of 9 (3390 views)
Shortcut
I am obviously asking... [In reply to] Can't Post

for an in-universe justification.

kzer_za
Lorien

Apr 12 2019, 1:29pm

Post #7 of 9 (3371 views)
Shortcut
I see a faint echo of Luthien's duel with Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

In the First Age. Anyway, power hierarchies in Arda aren't really as absolute as some people make them out to be.

That said, I really don't like the effects in this scene, which are both silly and weaken the FotR temptation scene!

Presumably Saruman has to finish the job, so she doesn't quite beat him alone. Though they leave it ambiguous exactly what happens after the cutaway - his final line is the best part of that scene. Well, that and the visuals, which are great at Dol Guldur even when the writing isn't.

(This post was edited by kzer_za on Apr 12 2019, 1:42pm)

Solicitr
Gondor

Apr 12 2019, 2:20pm

Post #8 of 9 (3353 views)
Shortcut
In-universe justification [In reply to] Can't Post

From Philippa Boyens???

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Apr 13 2019, 11:51am

Post #9 of 9 (3327 views)
Shortcut
From whomever. // [In reply to] Can't Post

I am open to any and all arguments, like a true skeptic.Wink

(This post was edited by Paulo Gabriel on Apr 13 2019, 11:54am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.