The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
The Watching Thread: Post Your 10 Favorite Films from 2018

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2019, 12:27am

Post #1 of 17 (1693 views)
Shortcut
The Watching Thread: Post Your 10 Favorite Films from 2018 Can't Post

I'm interested in what you folks have enjoyed most this year - bring on the top ten lists!

Such lists have taken on different flavors from me in past years, but I find this year to be a mixture of movies that I thought the "best" (for lack of a better term) and those I just had the best time watching....

...in alphabetical order (I hate ranking with a fiery passion)....

Annihilation
Bumblebee
Colette
The Death of Stalin
Isle of Dogs
Mary Queen of Scots
Mission: Impossible - Fallout
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse
A Star Is Born

-----------------------------------------------

As for my watching over the past week, I had my weekly viewing of Outlander (which I continue to love, love, love Blush). I can't believe next week is the season finale already! Droughtlander, here we come....Frown

Finally got around to watching my Christmas present of the new Arrow Video remastered Blu-ray edition of 12 Monkeys, which I found I loved even more than I remembered. I watched it often when I was younger, though found myself maddened by the film's craziness (always trying to figure out that ending...Cool). Now, as a grown adult, I just let all that wash over me, and loved it all the more. The Blu-ray itself is absolutely beautiful, a real filmic video transfer, just the way I like my remasters.

What are you watching?

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 23 2019, 5:49am

Post #2 of 17 (1633 views)
Shortcut
Just saw Mary, Queen of Scots [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed it very much.
I found some elements comparing and contrasting the two women a bit heavy handed, but it was a minor quibble.
The two leads were stunning and the scene between the two of them was electric.
I watched it with some friends who are descended from the Stuarts, which made it all rather fun.
Movies in 2018? *scratches head*I can't even remember what I saw, but then last year was one of those work/eat/sleep/repeat years.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 23 2019, 2:51pm

Post #3 of 17 (1603 views)
Shortcut
Short list for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Favorites from 2018 are:

Avengers: Infinity War
Black Panther
Mowgli

And I'm usually the one groaning, "Not another comic book movie." But those were the 2018 releases that I enjoyed.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 23 2019, 4:52pm

Post #4 of 17 (1589 views)
Shortcut
I'm so far behind in my movie-going [In reply to] Can't Post

Still have to see a lot of films. Roma, If Beale Street Could Talk, Widows, Can You Forgive Me, Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Spider-man: Into the Spiderverse are on my list.

of the ones I did see, Black Panther tops the list.

I liked these very much:
A Star is Born
Mary Poppins Returns
Ocean's Eight
Crazy Rich Asians
Ready Player One

Aquaman was just okay. The Favorite was an excellent movie, but I can't say I enjoyed it as such.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Jan 23 2019, 4:55pm)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 23 2019, 10:22pm

Post #5 of 17 (1573 views)
Shortcut
1. The Death of Stalin. [In reply to] Can't Post

Naturally it received no Oscar nominations, but it was the best film I saw by far. I'm not sure there's been a better portrayal onscreen of the spirit of Mordor (and C. S. Lewis's N.I.C.E.).

The next best film I saw was On Her Shoulders, a documentary about Nadia Murad, a young Yazidi woman from Iraq who was captured, enslaved, and raped by ISIL militants in 2014. Since her escape she has become an international activist for her people and against the crimes of human trafficking.

Unfortunately, I've sen very few other 2018 films. BlackKklansman, Crazy Rich Asians, and Black Panther all have merits. I also mostly liked Annihilation. But Sweet Country, Ready Player One, Solo, Ocean's Eight, and The Spy Who Dumped Me were less satisfying.

Have you ever seen La Jetée, the 1962 short film that inspired 12 Monkeys?

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2019, 11:40pm

Post #6 of 17 (1560 views)
Shortcut
I haven't, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I've been hearing a lot about it amongst the supplementary material (documentary & audio commentary). I may have to check it out.

Glad to see someone else listing The Death of Stalin. I knew when it came out that it would be long forgotten, ignored, etc. by the Academy. But, to be honest, that doesn't mean to me what it once did. I finally took a look at the nominations this morning and wasn't particularly impressed (my #1 and #2, Colette and Annihilation, weren't even represented by a single nom).

AMPAS and I have been growing steadily apart for years now (the last ceremony I even watched was 2015), and it looks like 2018 is the death knell.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that." - Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 23 2019, 11:45pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 23 2019, 11:42pm

Post #7 of 17 (1556 views)
Shortcut
I loved the Death of Stalin [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it was my favorite this year, but it was great. I really liked BlacKKKlansman, Leave No Trace, Hearts Beat Loud and Black Panther.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2019, 11:49pm

Post #8 of 17 (1554 views)
Shortcut
I'm just super bummed.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that it hasn't had a Blu-ray release as of yet (in North America, that is).

IFC has a deal with the Criterion Collection for its new releases, however. So we may yet see one later this year. Fingers crossed. Smile

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jan 23 2019, 11:50pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 24 2019, 2:49am

Post #9 of 17 (1547 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

I recommend short film Black Sheep. It has been nominated.
Very thought provoking. Sweary and violent for those who like a warning.
You can watch it online, it's just under half an hour long.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 24 2019, 4:18am

Post #10 of 17 (1533 views)
Shortcut
You confused me for a minute. [In reply to] Can't Post

The other Black Sheep: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 24 2019, 9:09am

Post #11 of 17 (1507 views)
Shortcut
I don't know why you woolled be confused [In reply to] Can't Post

A horror movie featuring sheep is shearly Oscar worthy.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Jan 28 2019, 3:51pm

Post #12 of 17 (1275 views)
Shortcut
My Top 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Would have to be...

1: Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
2: Avengers: Infinity War
3: Aquaman
4: Black Panther
5: Mowgli
6: Ant-Man and the Wasp
7: Crazy Rich Asians
8: Mortal Engines
9: Into the Spider-Verse

I love The Hobbit. Always will.

cats16
Half-elven

Jan 29 2019, 2:52am

Post #13 of 17 (1220 views)
Shortcut
In no order.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some movies I liked:

Can You Ever Forgive Me?
Zama (Amazon Prime)
Madeline's Madeline (Amazon Prime)
Happy as Lazzaro (Netflix)
Cold War (soon to be Amazon Prime)
If Beale Street Could Talk
The Favourite
Leave No Trace (Amazon Prime)
Private Life (Netflix)
The Other Side of the Wind (Netflix)
Minding the Gap (Hulu)
Three Identical Strangers
Lean on Pete (Amazon Prime)
Spider Man: Into the Spider-Verse
First Reformed (Amazon Prime)
A Ciambra
You Were Never Really Here (Amazon Prime)

First Man is well made.

And an honorable mention to Struggle: The Life and Lost Art of Szukalski, which is one of the more fascinating documentary subjects I've seen recently. Not perfectly executed, but its subject is larger than life. It's on Netflix.

Non-2018 movies I saw for the first time and recommend:

Yi Yi/A Brighter Summer's Day
- The late great Edward Yang is unrivaled.
Ugetsu/Sanshoo the Bailiff/The Life of Oharu/A Story from Chikamatsu
- Kenji Mizoguchi should be a household name.
The Red Shoes/Black Narcissus
- Powell & Pressburger were magicians
The Emigrants/The New Land
- Jan Troell's saga of Swedish migrants will change you.
Beauty and the Beast/Orpheaus
- Jean Cocteau's surreal nightmares remain without equal.
Naked/Secrets & Lies
- Mike Leigh forever.
Good Morning/Late Spring/Tokyo Story
- Wish I had seen an Ozu film before. So tender and lived-in.
The King of Comedy/Mean Streets/Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore
- Beautiful early Scorsese.
Wendy and Lucy/Meek's Cutoff/Certain Women
- Kelly Reichardt is one of America's best filmmakers. The first two are on Hulu and the latter is on Netflix.

Watched 240+ movies last year, but those are some highlights among many.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Jan 29 2019, 2:58am)

Tintallë
Gondor

Jan 30 2019, 5:29am

Post #14 of 17 (1110 views)
Shortcut
GET READY for the VIOLENCE of the LAMBS! [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched the trailer and just about died laughing!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 30 2019, 6:42am

Post #15 of 17 (1098 views)
Shortcut
The film's completely batty [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's played with a straight face. Laugh

Good to see you here, Tint!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 30 2019, 6:43am)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 30 2019, 5:36pm

Post #16 of 17 (1039 views)
Shortcut
ummmm, what did I see again? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't get to that many movies BUT...

Black Panther... just... Black Panther (and then my friends said, we have these kittens, will you help us find homes? and then words fell out of my mouth at some point... so welcome to T'Challa and Shuri)(who climb the curtains and destroy all breakables...)

was Ant Man that year? oh yeah... and the Wasp...

Mowgli: finally someone (ahem, Serkis) got the Jungle Book pretty right

Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse was perhaps the best animated film of the year, one of the very best Spiderman films

Aquaman proved that Jason Momoa is a National Treasure and should do more good movies... also DC can sometimes get it mostly right (awesome world building, and Momoa has that Hemsworth quality of not taking himself too seriously)

some obscure little things on netflix: Mune, Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea (all beautiful animated films)

any other Marvel films I forgot

I heard great stuff about Bumblebee

Solo was fun, though I'm more excited about the upcoming 3rd How to Train Your Dragon film,,,

must try to find Mortal Engines somewhere, it didn't show up around here

bigger on the inside...

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Aue, aue,
Te fenua, te mālie
Nā heko hakilia
We know the way
(Te Vaka, Moana soundtrack)

Member of Horse Manure Movers Local 101, Raptor Wranglers & Rehab, and Night Fury Trainers Assoc. Owned by several cats and a very small team of maniacal sled dogs... sorry Radagast, those rabbits were delicious...

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 19 2019, 6:00am

Post #17 of 17 (267 views)
Shortcut
Nadia Murad. [In reply to] Can't Post

I see that the subject of the film On Her Shoulders, which I described above, visited the White House today.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.