The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Tattoo

Vely

Jan 16 2019, 11:57pm

Post #1 of 11 (1547 views)
Shortcut
Tattoo Can't Post

Hello,

I'm new and kind of nervous and I have always been bad at small talk, so I'm going to dive straight into it. For years I've wanted the same tattoo, but I've been too scared to actually go through with it.
Well, no more because I'm just going to do it. I want to get "onen i estel edain u chebin estel anim" tattooed on me, because the message really hits home, the only problem is I want it in Elvish and I'm not quite sure which writing is the correct one, because I do see a few subtle differences with the way it's spelt. Can you please help me??

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 17 2019, 1:20am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 17 2019, 1:52am

Post #2 of 11 (1507 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes, there are differences [In reply to] Can't Post

in the various Tengwar fonts - but they're all "valid", so it comes down to: which one YOU would prefer!

Greetings, and welcome to TORn, Vely! Here are some sites which will transcribe that phrase into Tengwar script:

https://www.tecendil.com/

http://tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/english.php

https://funtranslations.com/tengwar

https://tengwartranscriber.github.io/#ElvishTranscriber

Have fun with it, and let us know what you decide! Where are you planning to place the tattoo, or is that a question not to be asked? Blush

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Vely

Jan 17 2019, 11:00am

Post #3 of 11 (1451 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Hi there, Thank you.

I have to research which one would be more fitting, but that's very helpful Thank you. I'm probably going to have to have the tattoo on my shoulder, I think.

Cygnus
Lorien

Jan 18 2019, 4:39am

Post #4 of 11 (1276 views)
Shortcut
Greetings [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't give tattoo advice but I do want to say hello. I've only been here a couple months but already feel like part of the family. These folks are like that. We hope you stay a long time. Don't worry about the small talk thing. Everybody here is cool with people with who aren't perfect or else I would have been kicked out the day I stepped into town. They also don't mind people who ask a lot of questions. In fact, just the opposite. They like us! So after you get this figured out stick around for more. Good luck and nice to meet you.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 18 2019, 5:09pm

Post #5 of 11 (1251 views)
Shortcut
Do let us know what you decide! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you thinking of having it in one line, or multiple lines, or something like in a circle?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 18 2019, 9:39pm

Post #6 of 11 (1245 views)
Shortcut
Excellent!!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

WELCOME!!!

Excellent that you found your way here and knew that it was totally OK to bring us in on your plan.

dernwyn ALWAYS gives great advice and is ready with great info... so you're in good hands :)

I have a couple of small tattoos that I got when I was 52 and 55 years old. So going to a tattoo was very scary for me, but I'm so happy I did it.

I had mine put on my wrist so they hide nicely under my 1 1/2 to 2 inch watchbands, but I can look at them whenever I want. I figure I'm getting the tattoo for myself, so I want it someplace where I can see it without always being backwards because I have to look at it in a mirror ;)

The m-e is sindarin for NZ and looks like Middle-earth to me... so I put in the dash. And the other is Tolkien's symbol. My next tattoo is going to be one of Tolkien's dragons. I just have to figure out which one and when. I'm 66 years old, so I figure I better get going on it SOON!

Please do let us know what you decide :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Vely

Jan 19 2019, 12:40am

Post #7 of 11 (1236 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey everyone! I'm kind of overwhelmed by so much positive feedback, this is great!!
I unfortunately am not able to immediately get a tattoo, it will have to wait a bit Evil ... But I figured I could already start the research.

The thing is I always look to literature for everything, and after seeing the LOTR movies I read the books, and I fell in love. But after that life happened and I sort of put it aside for while. Until a few years ago this quote out of nowhere came to me, and it's strange, because I can't really remember picking it up from the movies or books, but it most have been parked in the back of my mind.
And the quote is perfect for me because it's not overly symbolic, it's only meaningful to you because of experiences in your life. And I think that's also why I want it on my shoulder or another area that's mostly covered, so not everyone can see it and it remains just for me.

(This post was edited by Vely on Jan 19 2019, 12:43am)

Cygnus
Lorien

Jan 19 2019, 3:41am

Post #8 of 11 (1223 views)
Shortcut
Not rushing [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have any tattoos. My dad had my moms name tatooed on his arm 60 years ago and they're still together so that worked out fine. They don't all work out though. Getting them removed is expensive and no fun so not being able to get one immediately is a good idea. Once a person gets an idea for a tattoo they should wait a month or more. If they still want it after the waiting period then it's time to take the plunge. That is still no guarantee it will work out. If I would have waited a month in 1976 for a Farrah Fawcett tattoo I still would have wanted it. That wouldn't have had a happy ending.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 19 2019, 5:33pm

Post #9 of 11 (1212 views)
Shortcut
Bwahaha!! fersher! [In reply to] Can't Post

That really was a close call, right!?

Waiting is absolutely a good idea. Some of the saddest stories I've ever heard is after someone has had a few drinks and wandered into a parlour. ;)

I also had mine put where I could hide it under my watch so my Mom wouldn't see it. She would have hurt me!!! :o (just kidding... kinda ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Cygnus
Lorien

Jan 21 2019, 9:53pm

Post #10 of 11 (1198 views)
Shortcut
Dramatic conclusion [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I also had mine put where I could hide it under my watch so my Mom wouldn't see it. She would have hurt me!!! :o (just kidding... kinda ;)

You can't leave us hanging like that. What did she say when she found out?

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf (movie quote)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 22 2019, 1:40pm

Post #11 of 11 (1188 views)
Shortcut
She didn't [In reply to] Can't Post

OR... and this would be SO her... if she did know, she wouldn't say anything because I didn't :)

I'm gonna be just like her when I grow up!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.