Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Fellowship - Rookie Reader Review
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Cygnus
Lorien

Feb 4, 11:09pm

Post #151 of 161 (5251 views)
Shortcut
favorite quotes [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you don't mind but I'd rather do that the next time I read the books. I'm afraid if I spend too much time analyzing it then it will distract from the fun. I do like analyzing things though and I love quotes so I like the idea.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf (movie quote)

Cygnus
Lorien

Feb 4, 11:18pm

Post #152 of 161 (5250 views)
Shortcut
interest [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your interest in my review Lily. I learn so much from the responses and all that information really enchances my experience....plus I'm making friends who share my love of Tolkien. I'm learning so much and having fun doing it. Life is good! I have some projects I'm working on so I'm taking a break a few days so you should have time to catch up. Thanks again.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf (movie quote)

Cygnus
Lorien

Feb 8, 5:19pm

Post #153 of 161 (5175 views)
Shortcut
rolling down the river [In reply to] Can't Post

I just finished 2 more chapters, Farewell to Lorien and The Great River It's been a rough journey. Before that, two parting gifts made me emotional. When Galadriel gave Sam the dirt for his garden I thought that was such a cool idea. In fact, if I ever go to the other side of the globe and visit where the movies were filmed I would love to scoop up some dirt from the Shire and spread it over my garden. I also got emotional when Galadriel gave Gimli three strands of her hair. For a reason I don't understand it struck my heart very hard. What a gesture! Every time I watch the movies my breath is taken away by the Pillars of the Kings but it didn't do anything for me in the book. Imagine that, three little hairs stir my heart but those glorious pillars passed by without much emotion. We truly have the best of both worlds with the books and movies.
Now to the rough part...The Breaking of the Fellowship. Gollum hanging around is putting a whole new twist in the adventure for a rookie like me.

squire
Half-elven

Feb 8, 6:52pm

Post #154 of 161 (5171 views)
Shortcut
Well, OK, but [In reply to] Can't Post

It was never supposed to be about the pillars. They are worn down by the weather so much that they do not even appear to be sculpture until seen up close. They are, in other words, the decline of Gondor from its former greatness.

The scene in the book is about Aragorn, and his response to the pillars. He 'comes out' as heir to the throne, returning to restore his kingdom and its people to their past and future glory in the coming Age of Men - if only the Ring can be destroyed.

I love this part of the scene:

Sheer rose the dreadful cliffs to unguessed heights on either side. Far off was the dim sky. The black waters roared and echoed, and a wind screamed over them. Frodo crouching over his knees heard Sam in front muttering and groaning: ‘What a place! What a horrible place! Just let me get out of this boat, and I’ll never wet my toes in a puddle again, let alone a river! ‘

‘Fear not!’ said a strange voice behind him. Frodo turned and saw Strider, and yet not Strider; for the weatherworn Ranger was no longer there. In the stern sat Aragorn son of Arathorn, proud and erect, guiding the boat with skilful strokes; his hood was cast back, and his dark hair was blowing in the wind, a light was in his eyes: a king returning from exile to his own land.

‘Fear not!’ he said. ‘Long have I desired to look upon the likenesses of Isildur and Anárion, my sires of old. Under their shadow Elessar, the Elfstone son of Arathorn of the House of Valandil Isildur’s son heir of Elendil, has nought to dread!’

Then the light of his eyes faded, and he spoke to himself: ‘Would that Gandalf were here! How my heart yearns for Minas Anor and the walls of my own city! But whither now shall I go?’ - LR II.9.

I have always been puzzled that the film did not take this approach to why the company passes through the Argonath: ancient carvings, barely recognizable as kings but still conveying majesty through sheer scale, and then a tight closeup on our heroic king, steering a boat through rapids, hair flying in the wind and spray, a gleam of pride and secret doubt in his eyes, proclaiming his heritage in a strange new voice.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 8, 9:28pm

Post #155 of 161 (5161 views)
Shortcut
Hairs and hatred [In reply to] Can't Post

Possibly the reason Galadriel's gift to Gimli strikes a note is that in 2019 we live in a world where there are many embattled camps of opinions which have turned into toxic hatreds. That same hatred existed between Elves and Dwarves, and Galadriel did some "Be the change you want the world to be" in crossing the racial divide between them, melting Gimli's heart. Tolkien felt quite strongly about that subject; it came up in many of his letters to his son, Chris, during WWII, where he'd report on ghastly comments he'd heard about how they shouldn't stop at defeating Hitler, they should destroy all Germans as a disease. It seems to me he gives prejudice free rein in LOTR so he can put it on display and then debunk it when he can. But like any book, I think you can read into what you want, too. I do like this quote showing the complexities of his political & social views:

From Letter 77: I should have hated the Roman Empire in its day (as I do), and remained a patriotic Roman citizen, while preferring a free Gaul and seeing good in Carthaginians.

Yeah, the Argonath movie scene delivers a lot more emotional punch than the one in the book. It's something I appreciate the movies for. The swooping vistas, the visceral music, the dramatic scale, and those bold expressions in the stone brought to life--amazing. I wish New Zealand would do the world a favor and construct a real Argonath just so I could experience it. I mean, with great movie success comes great responsibility to the fans. Smile

Cygnus
Lorien

Feb 9, 5:24am

Post #156 of 161 (5158 views)
Shortcut
Wrapping things up [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks squire and CuriousG. Well, that's for it for that one. The Fellowship didn't split up in the middle of a battle with orcs and Boramir is still alive so it was different. When Boramir's face turned demonic I couldn't help thinking of Bilbo back in Rivendell. Now, that scene scared me, especially since it wasn't as expected in a peaceful place like Rivendell. I sure am wondering now how long Boramir is going to live. No clues please! I know I've said in the past that spoilers don't bother me but I really don't want to know. I hope he hangs around a long time but I'm not real optimistic. I'll keep an eye out for final comments and then probably start reading again on Wednesday. We have grandchildren all weekend. Their parents went on an anniversary trip. Monday I have to prepare for a speech so the adventure will continue after Tuesday with a brand new thread. Thanks to everybody for all the comments and answered questions. Your input has enhanced my adventure in a way that few first time readers have ever experienced. I am truly thankful.

Cygnus
Lorien

Feb 9, 6:06am

Post #157 of 161 (5153 views)
Shortcut
Spelling [In reply to] Can't Post

Shucks, what a rookie. It's spelled Boromir. You'd think I'd know after just reading it a hundred times....It would be nice to have an auto correct spell check with LOTR and Hobbit stuff on it. I hope I can find one before that wizard guy turns into Grand Elf the White and meets up with Arigone, Gimmie, Legoless and those hobetts.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 9, 5:53pm

Post #158 of 161 (5102 views)
Shortcut
Think of it as having alternate names [In reply to] Can't Post

Boromir is my name in Gondor
In the east I am Baramira
The Dwarves call me Bouldermeer
People with stray thumbs on keyboards call me Barrowwheel
The Wise with their SpellCheck spells correct my name to Borrowmere
To the NorthByNorthEast I go not.

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Feb 9, 7:50pm

Post #159 of 161 (5087 views)
Shortcut
I'm dying [In reply to] Can't Post

Grand Elf the White! Can't figure out if I like that or Gimmie the best. Legoless is pretty good too! Sly

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Feb 9, 9:57pm

Post #160 of 161 (5078 views)
Shortcut
And in North by Northwest, I'm Archie Leach. [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Feb 18, 3:57am

Post #161 of 161 (4827 views)
Shortcut
Then you may find this post of interest. [In reply to] Can't Post

How does 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' end?

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.