Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
When do the surviving Dwarves of the Hobbit finally die?

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Jan 12 2019, 12:21am

Post #1 of 7 (3412 views)
Shortcut
When do the surviving Dwarves of the Hobbit finally die? Can't Post

We do know obviously that some die at the Battle of Five Armies. And some did in Moria. But what about the others? I expect that more than one or two died in the siege of the lonely mountain in the war of the Ring. But I would also imagine that some survived but for how long? Would any have lived up to Aragorn's death or would that have been a bit too long even for a Dwarf? And if they didn't live that long when would some of them have met their end Or is it even possible that some of the other ones apart from Gloin had some kind of offspring that did live to beyond the end of the narrative? Even if not all Dwarves had children and this probably continued into the fourth age. .Maybe some where around at the time of Merry and Pippin's death? Anyway, I was just wondering!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 12 2019, 3:28am

Post #2 of 7 (3370 views)
Shortcut
Partial answers [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think we have death-dates for all of the Dwarves of the Company of Thorin, in particular for several who may have lived into the Fourth Age (F.A.). Here is what I can find:

~ Thorin Oakenshield: 2746-2941
~ Balin: 2763-2994
~ Dwalin: 2772-F.A. 92
~ Óin: 2774-2994
~ Glóin: 2783-F.A. 15
~ Fíli: 2859-2941
~ Kíli: 2864-2941
~ Ori: died 2994
~ Nori: fl. 2941-3018
~ Dori: fl. 2941-3018
~ Bifur: fl. 2941-3018
~ Bofur: fl. 2941-3018
~ Bombur: fl. 2941-3018

~ Dáin Ironfoot: 2767-3019

fl. = flourished

Fíli & Kíli perished defending their uncle Thorin in the Battle of Five Armies. Thorin was mortally wounded in the battle and died of his injuries.

The surviving Dwarves of Thorin's company remained in Erebor after the Battle of Five Armies and became very prosperous. In 2989, Balin led an expedition to re-colonize Moria; Orcs destroyed the colony in 2994 resulting in the deaths of Balin, Óin and Ori. Of those who remained in Erebor, several may have fought in the Battle of Dale in 3019 and might have died there alongside King Dáin.

Ballin was the oldest Dwarf of the company next to Thorin; Fili and Kili were the youngest. Bifur was older than Fíli and Kíli at least "by some fifty years".

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 12 2019, 3:36am)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 13 2019, 12:51am

Post #3 of 7 (3270 views)
Shortcut
Dwalin lived a very long time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Christopher Tolkien, examining the drafts of Appendix A, writes that the date is not a mistake introduced during publication, but he still suspects it is in error.

As I wrote here once before, I prefer to think that Tolkien was having fun with the Norse meaning of Dwalin's name: "dawdler".

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Cygnus
Lorien

Jan 14 2019, 4:46am

Post #4 of 7 (3138 views)
Shortcut
Always amazed [In reply to] Can't Post

Every time I log in I am impressed. This place is a wealth of information. The vastness of Tolkien always leaves me in awe....so does the vastness of knowledge from the members here.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Jan 22 2019, 8:26am

Post #5 of 7 (2992 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Although what is the information that some of the Dwarves did not flourish after 3018? I like to think that they might have done!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 22 2019, 2:12pm

Post #6 of 7 (2992 views)
Shortcut
Appendix A: The Line of Durin [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Although what is the information that some of the Dwarves did not flourish after 3018? I like to think that they might have done!

I drew those dates from Tolkien's genealogical table for the Line of Durin in Appendix A of The Lord of the Rings. When an entry indicates that a particular Dwarf flourished from 2941 to 3018 that merely indicates that we have no information on their status before or after those dates. The fact that no date of death is given suggests that they survived the Battle of Dale and Siege of Erebor in 3019, though they may have fought in one or both (except probably Bombur who had grown immensely fat).

The only Dwarves who definitely did not flourish after 3018 where those who died before then. Angelic

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 22 2019, 2:17pm)

Saruman
Bree

Feb 1 2019, 12:12am

Post #7 of 7 (2744 views)
Shortcut
Bombur [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombur must have had great longevity, for one so large! I always thought it was great that he was still alive at the time of the LotR.

"I have seen it..."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.