Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Astronomy bulletin board
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Jan 12, 4:19am

Post #26 of 53 (283 views)
Shortcut
Disasterous is hitting an iceberg with a boat. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

You have brought out a goodly amount of enthusiasm for two topics in two weeks from many board members. Re the S Hemisphere, we down here can take it upon ourselves to make a contribution as well. As I said, it will inspire me to look stuff up. I am much less versed in astronomy than you, but the key word here is amateur, isn't it? We have resources from the Carter Observatory in Wellington and some great astrophotographers that I can pass on. And I'm already fishing around for how I could possibly relate this to Tolkien, so good brain exercise.
Let's see where this leads before putting out the lifeboats, eh, Starman? Wink Cheers. (which means "thanks" in NZ)

Cygnus
Rivendell

Jan 12, 6:52am

Post #27 of 53 (270 views)
Shortcut
Appreciation [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
, you know that folks here greatly appreciate initiative and enthusiasm, both of which far outweigh perfection. Laugh

I guess I'm going to fit right in then! I don't mind it when others make mistakes but I'm pretty tough on myself when I make them. In this case though, it will help me get better if I beat myself up just a little. Thanks for the kind words. Folks like you are why I catch myself increasingly feeling like I have found a second family here.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf

Cygnus
Rivendell

Jan 12, 7:04am

Post #28 of 53 (269 views)
Shortcut
Cheers [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Cheers. (which means "thanks" in NZ)

Thanks so much! The rocky start is behind me now. I just needed a little boost to get going again. I am no stranger to "Cheers" with a co-worker from South Africa and one from Tasmania. My brother-in-law just married someone from New Zealand. I'll have to find out what town. By the way, my friend from Tasmania says "No worries" a lot! I like that because I probably do worry a little more than I should.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 12, 7:06am

Post #29 of 53 (269 views)
Shortcut
Hang in there. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there are very few of us who haven't felt that way from time to time. I know I have! It's rough being new and making mistakes. And that wanting to run away feeling is awful. Good on you for sticking it out.

Tolkien attracts a lot of detail-oriented people, so chances are any mistake will be caught and pointed out by someone. But around here, if you can take the correction with a good grace like you just did, nobody will ever think the worse of you for it. I expect some of our members from the Southern Hemisphere will add info on their view of the skies to the discussion from time to time, so we'll all get a chance to learn something new. This is a great idea for a discussion series. Carry on! Cool

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 12, 6:00pm

Post #30 of 53 (248 views)
Shortcut
*giggle* You know... no one here has EVER messed up before *kaff* ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I think your idea is outstanding... and this is the first part of it evolving into YOUR SIGNATURE work here. If it doesn't work out the way you hoped, it's still a win, imho. Don't ever be afraid of trying something around here. We're all a work in progress :D

Good on you for stepping up and letting us know. VERY CLASSY!

Hang in there... and don't sweat the small stuff. It is what it is... and so be it ;)

*high five*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 12, 6:42pm

Post #31 of 53 (254 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Only one person was ever perfect in this world and look what happened to Him.

As for me, thank goodness for the backspace key, pencil erasers, and white-out. (Though I do sometimes get those three mixed up.).

Character is what we do on the internet when we think no one knows who we are.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 12, 7:11pm

Post #32 of 53 (234 views)
Shortcut
I really like that idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I used to think in ways like that as a kid, but somehow got away from it as I got older. Time to grab it back. Smile

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 12, 7:30pm

Post #33 of 53 (247 views)
Shortcut
Lunar eclipse facts, S. B. Cohen, and Ted Koppel--very very funny quote. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you'd get a kick out of this quote--had me laughing for days. Laugh

"The man [Cohen in disguise] showed Koppel a photograph of a man holding a digital clock reading 11 p.m. in front of a large inaugural crowd and argued that if the crowd was that big at 11 at night, it must have been enormous when the inauguration actually happened. Koppel made the not-unreasonable point that most photographs taken outside in the Washington area at 11 p.m. in January do not feature a lot of sunlight, whereas the interviewer’s photo was clearly taken in broad daylight. At that point the photographer argued that the inconsistent lighting was probably caused by an eclipse. When Koppel pointed out that eclipses are generally known for reducing the amount of sunlight, not increasing it, the interviewer said it was probably the kind of lunar eclipse in which the sun passes between the moon and the Earth, which struck the Nightline host as improbable, astronomically speaking, and he ended the interview."

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jan 12, 9:44pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 12, 7:43pm

Post #34 of 53 (240 views)
Shortcut
And another, whom people thought was perfect in his field, [In reply to] Can't Post

Jascha Heifitz, made headlines when he had a memory slip during a performance. Because he never had them (or much of any slips of any kind). All the mere mortals like Kreisler or Stern or Milstein, et al only had to worry about the review columns.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 12, 8:02pm

Post #35 of 53 (232 views)
Shortcut
And a queston about exoplanets [In reply to] Can't Post

and binary stars, from here: https://www.nbcnews.com/...rs-missed-ncna956761
In this recent discovery, as well as in other instances, wouldn't such a planet that is only orbiting one of the 2 stars, get roasted/irradiated (or anyway heated) on opposite sides from time to time, no matter what all the orbits are? As well as varying amounts hitting the planet all the time, as the positions of the 2 stars changed relative to each other and to the planet? Plus, wouldn't the gravitational forces have quite an effect, especially when both stars lined up with the planet (depending on how far away the second star is)? And if so, wouldn't all the inconsistency (compared to a single-star system) seriously affect the possibility of life on such a planet? I'm wondering how "Goldilocks" this particular one really is in such a circumstances, despite what the article says.
Not to mention what happens to planets in a 3 or 4 star system. . . ?
And do you know know if it's less or more likely for planets to orbit around 2 or more stars in a system, rather than around the individual stars?

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Jan 12, 9:17pm

Post #36 of 53 (224 views)
Shortcut
What a good thought - [In reply to] Can't Post

and quite a challenge, given the global nature of this community! I am woefully ignorant about what's going on in the heavens, apart from the few well-known 'local' constellations - Orion, Pleiades, Ursa Major and so forth, and well-publicised events like meteor showers, eclipses etc. I do like the idea that Tolkien is thought to have based Earendil on Venus. On camping holidays I'm sometimes able to see the glories of the night sky, and they are breath-taking. It makes me sad to think how many people might never really see what's out there, because they live in places where the night sky is always obscured. To see the whole arc of the heavens glittering with innumerable stars should be granted to everyone at some point in their lives. It's a very humbling and yet exalting experience. Keep up the good work - great idea for a thread!

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 13, 1:32am

Post #37 of 53 (217 views)
Shortcut
Have you ever tried night vision goggles? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a retired US Air Force flight engineer, and I logged a few hundred hours of flight time on NVGs. When I had a moment to look up on a clear night, I could see maybe a hundred times as many stars as the naked eye. Also noticed a lot of meteors; I assume most of those are too dim to see without tools. Really made me appreciate having atmosphere overhead to burn up all the rocks before they fell on me.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Lissuin
Tol Eressea

Sun, 8:09am

Post #38 of 53 (190 views)
Shortcut
We wants them, precious! [In reply to] Can't Post

You have awakened goggle greed!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sun, 4:53pm

Post #39 of 53 (176 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien, LOTR, and astronomy [In reply to] Can't Post

Dernwyn's comment in the Rdg Room on this subject came to mind as I was browsing Letters this morning, and it seemed apt to post this here. I'm sure Tolkien himself would contribute to an astronomy bulletin board if he were alive now.

[Letter] 69 To Christopher Tolkien,14 May 1944 (FS 25) 20 Northmoor Road, Oxford

Well my dearest, here goes to begin a proper letter again … I did a certain amount of writing yesterday but was hindered by two things: the need to clear up the study (which had got into the chaos that always indicates literary or philological preoccupation) and attend to business; and trouble with the moon. By which I mean that I found my moons in the crucial days between Frodo’s flight and the present situation (arrival at Minas Morghul) were doing impossible things, rising in one part of the country and setting simultaneously in another. Rewriting bits of back chapters took all afternoon!

Cygnus
Rivendell

Mon, 4:24am

Post #40 of 53 (155 views)
Shortcut
Getting it right [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting that. It's always nice to see people who want to get their astronomy right. This is one of the million reasons why Tolkien was so good and why his works will last forever.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

1:45am

Post #41 of 53 (28 views)
Shortcut
Oh, do tell... [In reply to] Can't Post

how many times you've used white-out on your computer screen. Tongue

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

1:58am

Post #42 of 53 (23 views)
Shortcut
Ro! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to see you here! How are things with the Telcontars?

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on

Roheryn
Grey Havens

2:03am

Post #43 of 53 (25 views)
Shortcut
"I've never made a mistake in a post!"... [In reply to] Can't Post

said no one on TORn who's ever posted regularly. Your post is thoughtful, articulate, and interesting -- you'll do just fine here. Save regrets for true disasters...like (me) dumping a bowl of cereal on top of a brand-new laptop, or (me) some 17 years later regretting having picked that long-ago and totally unnecessary fight with an admin, and hoping she doesn't remember... Blush

Keep up the great work, and the wonderful little-kid enthusiasm!

Roheryn
Grey Havens

2:07am

Post #44 of 53 (23 views)
Shortcut
Silverlode! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to see you too. How're things in your neck of the woods?

The young 'uns are growing like weeds...the oldest turns 13 soon and has recently surpassed me in height. Granted, that's not saying much! All's well. I'm procrastinating right now: I really need to go clean some chicken coops, but stopping by my much-loved virtual home sounded like so much more fun.

(And apologies to Cygnus for a bit of thread hijacking!)

Darkstone
Immortal

2:15am

Post #45 of 53 (21 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

About as many times as I've used up a millimeter or two of a pencil eraser trying to remove errant pixels.

Welcome back!

Character is what we do on the internet when we think no one knows who we are.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

2:21am

Post #46 of 53 (21 views)
Shortcut
Ro! [In reply to] Can't Post

So great to see you here!

So, nowadays do the little Telcontars follow your lead, and dump bowls of cereal on laptops? "Little" - I can't call them that, they're growing up quickly, too quickly! How is everyone doing? Last I heard, I think you were getting the chickens out of the muck from flooding!

Cygnus, allow me to introduce you to Roheryn, who met NZ Strider on this very site many years ago, and the result was an awesome wedding, a move from the U.S. to N.Z., and three heirs to the throne!

Yes, it's a dangerous business, posting on TORn...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Roheryn
Grey Havens

2:34am

Post #47 of 53 (18 views)
Shortcut
Good to know. [In reply to] Can't Post

And thanks! :-)

I will admit to giving lectures using PowerPoint projected onto a white screen, forgetting that white screens are not whiteboards, and writing notes onto the screen with a whiteboard marker.

Roheryn
Grey Havens

2:43am

Post #48 of 53 (16 views)
Shortcut
Right back atcha, dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thanks for the introduction to Cygnus. Cygnus, pleased to meet you!

I'm sure the young Telcontars will find creative ways to ruin their laptops...when they get their first ones! Eldarion the Elder is due his first one for starting high school (!) in a few weeks. (I should point out that high school here starts in the equivalent of US 8th grade, not 9th.) The current misplaced creativity in our house is due to an ill-aimed kick by young Elanor (now age 7), who was trying to kick Eldarion the Younger but creatively kicked a large wire cage instead and sliced her little toe nearly to the bone. She's getting rather bored on her third day of not being allowed to walk!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

2:58am

Post #49 of 53 (16 views)
Shortcut
My neck of the woods... [In reply to] Can't Post

is fairly damp at the moment, as we're getting a decent amount of rain for a change. I love the sound of rain on the roof. We even have a few plants getting a head start on spring, which doesn't usually get going here until next month.

Goodness, is Eldarion a teenager already? How the time does fly! The chickens may not, but I approve of your priorities. Wink

Cygnus is also treating us to a first-timer read through in the RR. He's finished The Hobbit and is just getting going on Fellowship, in case you need any more excuses for procrastination. Cool

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on

Roheryn
Grey Havens

3:38am

Post #50 of 53 (10 views)
Shortcut
I hate damp. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I realize it's often necessary. We did record-setting damp all through spring and early summer, resulting in far too much muck in the paddocks plus Too Much Grass. I hate grass almost as much as I hate damp. Tidily mowed lawns? Lovely; wish I had one. Acres of grass over my head that make me sneeze uncontrollably, swell my eyes halfway shut and give me body-wide welts? I HATE THE STUFF. One pony and 6 sheep are no match for 10 acres.

Sorry...where were we? Glad you're enjoying the rain...it is a nice sound on a roof. Much nicer than possums... Neat that you've got some spring plants poking their heads up; so nice to know that winter's on its way out!

Eldarion turns 13 in March, and yes time does fly. Not sure where these 13 years went.

I love thoughts from first-time readers; I will check out the threads. Procrastination, thy name is Ro.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.