The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Looking for advice about copyright

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jan 10 2019, 4:53pm

Post #1 of 6 (1593 views)
Shortcut
Looking for advice about copyright Can't Post

I mistakenly linked to copyrighted material in the RR, and entmaiden has removed the link for me. Now I've found another site that quotes part of the material, but looks to be legal as it's part of an academic blog. I don't want to post the wrong thing again, so I wondered if someone could check out the site and let me know if it would be okay to link to it? The address is: <address removed> . I haven't made it a link, but please delete it anyway if it's not legal!
Thanks!

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jan 14 2019, 2:09pm)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 10 2019, 10:01pm

Post #2 of 6 (1553 views)
Shortcut
Not sure that's much better [In reply to] Can't Post

but let's allow the other admins to weigh in. An academic blog doesn't provide an exemption from copyright if the underlying material was re-printed without permission.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 10 2019, 10:25pm

Post #3 of 6 (1554 views)
Shortcut
What percentage of the whole is that? [In reply to] Can't Post

The smaller that figure, the more likely it is to pass muster as fair use. (And what is the whole in this case? Just the epilogue chapter? Or the book, Sauron Defeated, in which it was published?) But there is no one legal standard, so it's up to TORN's administrators to determine what they're comfortable with.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Altaira
Superuser

Jan 10 2019, 10:34pm

Post #4 of 6 (1552 views)
Shortcut
I think it would depend [In reply to] Can't Post

on how much of the source material is copied there and, not knowing the source, it's difficult to say. Small quotes of copyrighted source material are okay, of course, otherwise RR discussions would be difficult! Laugh

Looking at FarFromHome's RR post, It quotes a 'modest' amount of text from the epliogue and, I think, makes the point it wants to make without any link. I'd be inclined to leave it at that, and let people google links to epilogue information themselves if they like.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 13 2019, 5:45pm)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jan 12 2019, 2:11pm

Post #5 of 6 (1425 views)
Shortcut
This sounds like the best solution. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be inclined to leave it at that, and let people google links to epilogue information themselves if they like.

I'll leave it alone and let anyone who is interested do their own googling.

Thanks everyone for your input!

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Lissuin
Valinor

Jan 12 2019, 6:05pm

Post #6 of 6 (1401 views)
Shortcut
(cough) That would be me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, FFH. I had never read those alternate endings and enjoyed another glimpse into the mind of the author.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.