Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Are we schizophrenic?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 13, 8:57pm

Post #26 of 36 (178 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd rather be "natural" than "normal". Less ulcers that way.

Character is what we do on the internet when we think no one knows who we are.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 13, 11:18pm

Post #27 of 36 (159 views)
Shortcut
Well, once in awhile [In reply to] Can't Post

I manage to get my thoughts untangled enough to communicate, without writing for pagesCrazyLaugh.

I love that comment in the letter, about "transforming experience into another form and symbol." In a way, that's a whole new insight. Makes me think of archetypes (not that I'm always sure just what those are . . .).

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 15, 9:41pm

Post #28 of 36 (136 views)
Shortcut
Here, here! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 15, 9:47pm

Post #29 of 36 (137 views)
Shortcut
I was going to say [In reply to] Can't Post

that engineering is a creative endeavor, one that requires people to use imagination and think "outside the box." My daughter is a chemical engineering major hoping to do medical research. But she loves to read fantasy (when she has the time, LOL!) and originally wanted to major in music theater! I'm glad she changed her mind, not just because of job prospects but because she's truly intelligent and could someday find cures for genetic disorders (her goal). Yeah, I'm a proud mom!Smile

Annael
Half-elven

Wed, 4:43pm

Post #30 of 36 (124 views)
Shortcut
they are problem-solvers for sure [In reply to] Can't Post

but honestly, in a career spent working with physicians, PhD scientists in every field, and engineers . . . I found the engineers the most difficult to work with. One made me SHOW him, in one or the other of the shelf of grammar and usage authorities I had, why I had made EVERY SINGLE EDIT I ever made to any of his documents. After three years, when he had not been able to catch me out a single time, I asked if he was ever going to trust that I knew my job. "No," he said.

I also got treated as an idiot for not knowing everything they did. They tended to suffer from what is called the "Curse of Knowledge," which means that you don't remember that 1. you had to be taught something and 2. how hard it was for you to learn it, and instead assume "everybody knows that." As a technical editor I had to deal with new terminology and ideas constantly. If I asked anyone else "so what's a ____?" they would cheerfully say, "Oh! It looks like this, and it does that." Doctors especially would drop everything to teach me about something, but then, they have to do that with patients every day. But engineers . . . would look at me like I'd crawled out from under a rock where I'd been living in utter darkness and ignorance because I didn't know what a piezometer was the first time I read the word. I'd explain that I had to know because the likely reader of their reports would be an executive of the business that had hired our firm, who also was not an engineer, so I needed to word things so that THEY did not feel like an idiot for not knowing something, but this only got a shrug.

So sorry, I'm sure there are exceptions to my experience, but . . . that's my experience.

However, my least-favorite client is a marketing executive totally in love with the new jargon he just made up that he wants to make into the buzzword of the day, but that MEANS NOTHING TO ANYONE ELSE.

Anyway, I'm not sure being creative is the same thing as having the kind of mind that works in metaphors. Yes, engineers figure out how things work and then imagine making something that works to deliver a new result . . . but I don't think that means seeing a thing as being like something completely different - especially seeing a tangible thing or process as being LIKE an intangible thing.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Wed, 4:58pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Thu, 12:44am

Post #31 of 36 (92 views)
Shortcut
Interesting! I had always thought [In reply to] Can't Post

that making unusual connections and parallels between (often disparate) things was the hallmark of a creative mind. Maybe it is. Maybe there is an additional difference between minds/personalities: "practical" and/or "material-world oriented" vs. "open to metaphor, fantasy, imaginative reality, and perhaps the spiritual." Perhaps creativity is mistakenly thought to always have elements of the second set operating, when that may not be the case at all.

I can imagine creativity taking place in "practical" settings like engineering or fiance, etc. that don't require any of the second set to take place.
I'm just wondering if there's really a 4-way divide rather than the 2 we've been considering here: practical reality oriented minds, practical reality oriented creative minds, minds open to realities or at least metaphors beyond the physical and practical while not being particularly creative in their approach to life, and minds open to "other realities" who are also creative.
That last group, perhaps, would be the people we hear about in fields usually thought of as creative: folks like Rembrandt and Monet and Dante and Tolkien.

Paulo Gabriel
Bree

Sat, 3:15am

Post #32 of 36 (57 views)
Shortcut
I might want to add... [In reply to] Can't Post

that my uncle said Tolkien is ''useless culture'' or something like that. I.e. that it is ''knowledge'' that is good for nothing. What do you think of that?

P.S.: He refers to LOTR as ''the Sméagol story''. Laugh

(This post was edited by Paulo Gabriel on Sat, 3:16am)

Lissuin
Valinor

Sat, 4:29am

Post #33 of 36 (48 views)
Shortcut
Different strokes for different folks. [In reply to] Can't Post

Human cultures have been telling stories about how to be good humans and deal with life's difficulties since we could speak to one another. Thank goodness there has been more than one way to get those points across because everyone seems to hear and accept that teaching differently. Religion, poetry, comic books, theatre, fairy tales, science fiction, fortune cookies...I say whatever it takes for someone to hear it has to be a good thing. Tolkien's sturdy Hobbits have inspired me not to give up more than once in my life. So, no, not useless at all. I expect your uncle just got his lessons from different sources.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sat, 2:17pm

Post #34 of 36 (37 views)
Shortcut
Since you ask... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
that my uncle said Tolkien is ''useless culture'' or something like that. I.e. that it is ''knowledge'' that is good for nothing. What do you think of that?

P.S.: He refers to LOTR as ''the Sméagol story''. Laugh

...I say that your uncle does not understand how fiction can speak truths about the human condition that cannot be conveyed by dry statistics and recitation of facts. It doesn't matter if it is fantasy, science fiction, mystery or mainstream as long as it is insightful and well-written. Good fiction is not automatically escapist, or at least not just escapist.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Sat, 2:27pm)

squire
Half-elven

Sat, 2:25pm

Post #35 of 36 (37 views)
Shortcut
How is it that someone who doesn't read and thinks LotR is useless knows that Gollum's real name is Smeagol? [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I'm a little confused as to who your uncle actually is.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Darkstone
Immortal

Sat, 4:16pm

Post #36 of 36 (36 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Nutzlose Kultur". Who else have I heard using that term....

Character is what we do on the internet when we think no one knows who we are.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.