Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the sunny-day reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jan 8, 4:32pm

Post #1 of 6 (201 views)
Shortcut
It's the sunny-day reading thread! Can't Post

Our weather is bouncing between extremes, as it does this time of year. At least today is pretty and a bit warmer than normal. A shame the mountain cedar pollen is so bad that those of us who are allergic to it have to huddle inside over air filters. Unsure

Last week was unexpectedly busy for me, so I haven't read as much as I usually would. I'm within a chapter of the end of Once a Rebel, a historical romance by Mary Jo Putney, part of her Rogues Redeemed series. This one is centered on the War of 1812, in particular the burning of Washington DC by British troops and the British Navy's failure to take the city of Baltimore. Putney gives a nice nod to the origins of the US national anthem, which was originally a poem about the naval bombardment.

In the audiobook of The Two Towers, I'm up to Pippin gazing into the seeing-stone of Orthanc. I'm finding myself noting yet again how bits of description and dialog from the book were used in a slightly different---but still effective---context in the films. And how long passages of dialog from the book were cut down to a few lines, while action scenes were expanded.

This is the first time I've listened to one of the LotR books, but I find myself doing with the audio version what I do with the print version: wallowing in the wonderful prose, a smile of contentment on my face.

What have you been reading, now that post-Holiday life has resumed?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 9, 1:29am

Post #2 of 6 (176 views)
Shortcut
The Red Fox Clan [In reply to] Can't Post

by John Flanagan, umpteenth book of his Ranger's Apprentice YA series. A little less imaginative than the earlier books, but it ends on a cliffhanger that makes me optimistic for the next book.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 9, 4:06pm

Post #3 of 6 (162 views)
Shortcut
The Caldera [In reply to] Can't Post

by John Flanagan, 7th in his Brotherband YA series. The last 2 weren't all that great IMO, but this one is back on track. I like these characters and now they're having interesting adventures again.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jan 9, 4:30pm

Post #4 of 6 (161 views)
Shortcut
Enemy at the Gates: The Battle for Stalingrad [In reply to] Can't Post

by William Craig, published in 1972, long before the movie of the same name. Painstakingly researched and eminently readable, despite some confusion of names which covered several nationalities. This book deals in facts, but what also strongly comes across is the ultimate waste and cruelty of warfare. The winter of 1942-43 was devastating in itself, and the approaches of both Hitler and Stalin repugnant. I found it interesting as I am a history buff but I would have put it down if it hadn't been so well written.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 13, 1:16am

Post #5 of 6 (122 views)
Shortcut
The Disappearance of Winter's Daugter [In reply to] Can't Post

by Michael Sullivan, 4th book of the Ryiria Chronicles. My favorite medieval fantasy rogues-for-hire, Hadrian and Royce, are back at it again. As usual, there's lots of darkness and grit in the story, but the characters keep things light and fun with lots of jiggery-pokery and a memorable conversation about unicorns and polka-dots. Also some memorable new characters, whom I hope we see again.

sherlock
Gondor

Jan 13, 11:51am

Post #6 of 6 (112 views)
Shortcut
Iíve been very sick so [In reply to] Can't Post

I canít concentrate on much. Iím rereading The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring. They are such good books!Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.