Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Sears going bankrupt

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 8, 4:16pm

Post #1 of 20 (390 views)
Shortcut
Sears going bankrupt Can't Post

I'm not upset about Sears going bankrupt, and I stopped shopping at the junky store within walking distance of me years ago because it was dirty, service was nonexistent, etc. But just for historical perspective, and for non-American readers, imagine 30 years from now if people said, "Amazon is going bankrupt? That was an old site my parents used to buy stuff on. Who cares?" Sears really was a giant in its day like Amazon, Netflix, Google, and Apple today. Again, I'm not nostalgic per se, it just has me thinking that even the biggest corporate titan can go bankrupt in a way that no one can predict while they are riding high.

The only thing I'm nostalgic about is how the once-ubiquitous Sears catalog was known to be used as toilet paper in outhouses. Old joke, but everyone knew it.

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Jan 8, 7:17pm

Post #2 of 20 (341 views)
Shortcut
I think shopping in 30 years [In reply to] Can't Post

will bear little resemblance to what we know now. The town centres here are already struggling, and changing their nature and what they offer to the public, in the face of cut-throat competition from online shopping. They are very different to twenty years ago. Some well-known stores we've lost from our high streets include Littlewoods, British Home Stores, Woolworths, C&A... I could go on. Times change. The genii's well and truly out of the bottle in the retail sector. Who knows, perhaps Amazon will be hacked or suffer some sort of super-virus or the whole online phenomenon will implode and we'll all have to go out and actually buy things again, instead of sitting at home clicking a mouse!

Ilmatar
Rohan

Jan 8, 7:24pm

Post #3 of 20 (340 views)
Shortcut
Old catalogs online [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a non-American and only know Sears by name, but because I like old things and nostalgic stuff in general I Googled "Sears catalog" images for curiosity's sake. Tongue
The first & only click brought this, and I decided to post it just in case it's interesting to some who may like to use it to enliven their family history notes, print out something for scrapbooks or what have you.

Wouldn’t pages from the Sears catalog make a lively addition to your family history posts, pins, pages and conversations? Ancestry.com thinks so, too! They’ve digitized the catalogs and they’re keyword-searchable here.

https://lisalouisecooke.com/...atalog-ancestry-com/

Seems that in the past you could even order a customized house from Sears...! Nice images & blueprints too - maybe some of those houses are still in use.

Lissuin
Valinor

Jan 8, 7:28pm

Post #4 of 20 (340 views)
Shortcut
They've had a reprieve. New story 10 minutes ago. [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.cnbc.com/...ars-sources-say.html

But, yes, Curious, times change. My parents bought their first washer (about 1952) and dryer (1960's) from Sears - where else? Laugh. Then we bought ours in 1985. Was there anywhere else? Small family-run shops, I suppose, eventually unable to compete with big ol' Sears.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 8, 7:46pm

Post #5 of 20 (340 views)
Shortcut
I have no idea why, [In reply to] Can't Post

but my Grandparents had a Sears catalogue in the 70's. I think the catalogue was older though. As kids, we would spend hours looking through it and pretending to buy stuff. I was stunned by the idea that you could order a swing set! It was like looking through some sort of weird cultural portal into another world.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 8, 11:20pm

Post #6 of 20 (320 views)
Shortcut
In the 1970s. sometimes my parents would tell us [In reply to] Can't Post

"Look through the Sears catalog and let us know what toys you want for Christmas. We'll pick some of them." Sears was very Amazon to them. My father got all his Craftsman tools there, and we got all our appliances there too. They did shop other places, of course, but it was the favorite source. And, my grandparents would talk about how exciting it was when they were young and the new Sears catalog would arrive in the mail, similar to the excitement and hype now when a new movie trailer is released.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 9, 2:33am

Post #7 of 20 (304 views)
Shortcut
Those houses are still around! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Connecticut Explored magazine recently had an article about ones that are still in use in the state. Apparently the quality of the materials was excellent, and they have a reputation as being very sturdy houses.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Jan 9, 3:09am

Post #8 of 20 (300 views)
Shortcut
My grandfather built three houses [In reply to] Can't Post

Using the same Sears plans in the early to mid fifties. My cousin now lives in one and my fathers cousins (otherwise known as my cousins once removed) live in another. The third was sold out of the family ( and didn’t that start a tempest in a teapot) but is still in use. Paynesville West Virginia

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 9, 6:34am

Post #9 of 20 (301 views)
Shortcut
Sears vs. Jim Crow [In reply to] Can't Post

When this news first arose in October, there were a number of stories, like this one at NPR, about how the Sears & Roebuck catalog helped to undermine the racist "Jim Crow" laws that governed African-American life in parts of the U.S.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 9, 7:43am

Post #10 of 20 (293 views)
Shortcut
I recall... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in my day some parents would remove the ladies underwear pages. Back then it was about the raciest stuff a boy could find.

Character is what we do on the internet when we think no one knows who we are.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 9, 8:02am

Post #11 of 20 (289 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds almost as exciting as National Geographic!

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 9, 8:22am

Post #12 of 20 (279 views)
Shortcut
The local library *definitely* censored those! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Character is what we do on the internet when we think no one knows who we are.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 9, 1:05pm

Post #13 of 20 (270 views)
Shortcut
Haha! The half-dressed ladies' section was the first place my brother and I went! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Half-elven

Jan 9, 2:36pm

Post #14 of 20 (265 views)
Shortcut
Two couples I know live in Sears houses in Seattle [In reply to] Can't Post

Simple plan, perfectly laid out: two bedrooms with a bathroom between on one side, living/dining room on the other side with kitchen beyond, porches front and back, roomy daylight basement you could customize. One couple put a guest room and family room in the basement, and added a second story with a master suite later; the other turned the basement into her office (structural engineer with her own business) and his darkroom (professional photographer).Attractive, solidly built in the "bungalow" style with built-ins.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Jan 9, 2:39pm)

Cygnus
Rivendell

Jan 9, 5:37pm

Post #15 of 20 (256 views)
Shortcut
changing times [In reply to] Can't Post

My grandfather has been gone 25 years but if he was still alive he would be heartbroken. I'm not bothered by it but I always did enjoying seeing a Sears store simply because it reminded me of him.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 10, 1:03pm

Post #16 of 20 (230 views)
Shortcut
There are at least 3 in my nearby college town // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 10, 1:13pm

Post #17 of 20 (233 views)
Shortcut
I have 2 of those old catalogs. [In reply to] Can't Post

One from the 1920s and one from the 1930s. My daughter has them right now to take her time with them. You can spend hours just going through them page-by-page.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Jan 10, 2:47pm

Post #18 of 20 (231 views)
Shortcut
My brothers and I eagerly awaited the Wish Book at Christmas. [In reply to] Can't Post

We were allowed to circle items that we "wished" for. We did end up getting some of them, but the best was the Sears version of the Atari console. My mom wouldn't shell out the bucks for the genuine Atari, so we came somewhat close with the Sears. It came with one game and she let us each choose one more. When I think about those games with such simple graphics it makes me laugh.

We didn't get the "censored" edition, as my mom didn't tear out the underwear pages, but I was astonished that those ladies would consent to be photographed in their undies! LaughAngelic

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 10, 4:31pm

Post #19 of 20 (231 views)
Shortcut
Sears used to have great stuff. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ordinary clothes, but nice and serviceable. Great appliances. Funny how things change. I can't say I'm nostalgic, just annoyed (about the appliances.) I know Amazon, etc. is a factor, but I'm puzzled about how they let it get to this point.
Perhaps the Visigoths. Shocked

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 12, 3:42am

Post #20 of 20 (169 views)
Shortcut
The Sears near us is thriving [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope they work things out because the Sears near us is a thriving store where we still go to buy appliances and tools. They also have a very busy auto service department. Having said that, I also remember Montgomery Wards, or 'Wards' as we called them, that couldn't be saved. We'll see if the Sears ptb can work it out.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.