Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
So Nazis once asked Tolkien if he was Jewish

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 8, 2:17pm

Post #1 of 4 (227 views)
Shortcut
So Nazis once asked Tolkien if he was Jewish Can't Post

https://www.good.is/...-rolkien-nazi-letter

Hard to fathom, isn't it? But Tolkien's response is the BEST! First by explaining the true origin of "Aryan," and secondly by informing them that no, he has "no ancestors of that gifted people." It's a great read, and I thought other TORners would like to read this.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 8, 3:13pm

Post #2 of 4 (207 views)
Shortcut
This had come up before, but it's good to see it again [In reply to] Can't Post

And for context, there were many people at the time who had no sympathy for Jews even if they weren't Nazis, so Tolkien was showing moral courage by taking a stand and not being politically correct to fit in.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 9, 6:30am

Post #3 of 4 (191 views)
Shortcut
Well, sort of. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien wrote two letters and let his British publisher pick which one to send. This is believed to be the harsher of the two letters, and the one that was not sent. The other one that was actually sent to the German publishers is believed to be a shorter note in which Tolkien declines to make any statement at all about his ancestry.

Also, not everyone in Nazi Germany was a Nazi, so I'm not sure we can label these publishers that way, even if they were going along with one of the Nazis' many evil laws in this case.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 9, 8:00pm

Post #4 of 4 (167 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure not everyone was a Nazi, as there were Germans that helped Jews escape. But it must have been a very scary time & place to live. I can understand why a lot of German citizens either went along or turned a blind eye to everything. It would take extraordinary guts to stand up to that sort of thing, and I can't honestly say I would in those circumstances. Not meaning to get political, but the way things are going in the USA I wonder sometimes if I MIGHT be faced with such a thingShocked

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.