Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
Moot in NYC when the Tolkien exhibit comes to the Morgan Library?

Annael
Immortal

Jul 4 2018, 6:07pm

Post #1 of 25 (22001 views)
Shortcut
Moot in NYC when the Tolkien exhibit comes to the Morgan Library? Can't Post

It arrives near the end of January 2019; looks like they usually keep their exhibits for three months. I was planning on visiting my niece in Brooklyn sometime in March, but no firm plans yet; would be great to work in a Moot.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 6 2018, 1:48am

Post #2 of 25 (21906 views)
Shortcut
Weather will be better in March [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm waiting to see the beginning and ending dates. Once we have that information we can work on a Moot.
Flights can be tricky in January and February with winter weather, so my preference would be March - might still be cold, but less likely people are stranded.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 11 2018, 4:11pm

Post #3 of 25 (21612 views)
Shortcut
Dates published - January through May [In reply to] Can't Post

If we are targeting March, I would avoid the weekend of March 16-17. That's St Patrick's Day weekend and the city will be packed.
Announcement

Annael
Immortal

Jul 17 2018, 3:33pm

Post #4 of 25 (21157 views)
Shortcut
My niece wants me to come for Easter [In reply to] Can't Post

if that works for anyone else?

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2018, 9:48pm

Post #5 of 25 (20991 views)
Shortcut
Will you be in NYC before or after Easter? [In reply to] Can't Post

Easter is April 21 next year. Either works for me right now.

Annael
Immortal

Jul 27 2018, 5:24pm

Post #6 of 25 (20109 views)
Shortcut
I'll do a long weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

looking to arrive Thursday the 18th perhaps.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Immortal

Aug 17 2018, 10:44pm

Post #7 of 25 (18705 views)
Shortcut
arriving Thursday the 18th, leaving Monday the 22nd [In reply to] Can't Post

Seeing "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" Saturday afternoon/evening (it's a two-parter), church at St. John the Divine Sunday morning, so will be going to the exhibit either Friday, Saturday am, or Sunday afternoon.

-- Gaston Bachelard

squire
Half-elven

Jan 6 2019, 5:45pm

Post #8 of 25 (15108 views)
Shortcut
March 16 will see the Tolkien Symposium at the Morgan [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect to attend Hammond & Scull's lecture on the show on Thursday, Jan. 31 and the Symposium on Sat. March 16, St. Paddy's Day be darned.

If folks are also putting together something in the latter part of April, Eastertime or so, I would certainly consider a third visit and get-together. The reports from the Bodleian premier of this show last fall have been tantalizing, with many saying the show repays a repeat visit or two.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 7 2019, 6:15am

Post #9 of 25 (15050 views)
Shortcut
Dernwyn is also interested [In reply to] Can't Post

in a Friday pm/Saturday am moot at the library. I'm sure we could work a meal in as well . . . I'll PM all of you in a month or so about this.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Immortal

Jan 14 2019, 4:35pm

Post #10 of 25 (14315 views)
Shortcut
How does the afternoon of Friday, April 19 sound? [In reply to] Can't Post

My other option is Sunday afternoon, the 21st.

The museum also serves high tea - that might be a fun thing to do before or after touring the exhibit.

-- Gaston Bachelard

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2019, 5:02pm

Post #11 of 25 (14302 views)
Shortcut
Friday is good for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's "Good Friday", which we actually get off from work. Sunday is Easter, a busy day for me.

NYC is a 3-hour trip on the commuter rail, 2.5 on Amtrak, but the schedules look good for spending a long day there! Smile

They serve high tea? That sounds lovely!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Lissuin
Valinor

Jan 14 2019, 8:39pm

Post #12 of 25 (14284 views)
Shortcut
Tea time! [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.themorgan.org/visit/dining

I wish I could do it all with you! If you decide on the high tea, don't forget to make reservations. Food is such a part of any Middle-earth experience, it would be a shame to leave hungry. Wink
Have a blast!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 14 2019, 11:09pm

Post #13 of 25 (14279 views)
Shortcut
That sounds like fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am working with some former TORNfolk on a visit, and I'm hoping to persuade them to choose this weekend. a.s. wants to come, which would be amazing, and maybe erather and nerdanel. It really depends on a.s. because she needs a friend to travel with her. Maybe I'll have to make two trips!Smile

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Jan 15 2019, 1:54am

Post #14 of 25 (14268 views)
Shortcut
I'm going on my birthday, April 13 [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait!

I love The Hobbit. Always will.

squire
Half-elven

Jan 15 2019, 2:51am

Post #15 of 25 (14269 views)
Shortcut
Friday or Sunday afternoons would be good for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping this can come together. I've met dernwyn, and erather/Elizabeth very briefly, in past meet-ups in the NYC/Boston area. But I'd love to catch up with some of the others you're in negotiation with! Let me know what turns out to work for most people.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 15 2019, 4:22pm

Post #16 of 25 (14194 views)
Shortcut
it's coming together! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like it's a matter of how many will make it, but it sounds like you, me, entmaiden, and dernwyn are in for Friday afternoon, and that's enough to start making serious plans!

I'm looking forward to meeting you, having enjoyed your posts immensely all these years.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Jan 15 2019, 9:03pm

Post #17 of 25 (14110 views)
Shortcut
Sadly, no good for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't get off work Friday and celebrating the holiday on Sunday, so unfortunately if it's not Saturday I'm out for the Moot if we're talking Easter weekend. I will get there at some point though!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 16 2019, 1:09am

Post #18 of 25 (14101 views)
Shortcut
You and a.s. [In reply to] Can't Post

can have an emoticon-fight CoolCoolCoolCoolCool

Annael
Immortal

Jan 16 2019, 5:04pm

Post #19 of 25 (13967 views)
Shortcut
sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

Saturday we have tickets for "Harry Potter & The Cursed Child," which involves both afternoon & evening shows. And tea, of course, is only served in the afternoon. Sounds like Sunday afternoon is not possible for most folks.

(People may still be able to get tickets to the play, hint hint)

-- Gaston Bachelard

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jan 21 2019, 6:34am

Post #20 of 25 (12986 views)
Shortcut
And March 17 has a follow-up event offsite with more speakers. [In reply to] Can't Post

March 16 at the Morgan
Speakers:
John Garth
Nicholas Birns
Christopher Vaccaro
Kristine Larsen
Leslie Donovan

March 17 at Baruch College
Speakers:
Jason Fisher
David Bratman
David Emerson
Kristine Larsen
Nicholas Birns
Robin Anne Reid
Janet Brennan Croft
Megan Abrahamson
Chris Vaccaro
Leslie Donovan
Chris Tuthill
Ryder Miller
Peter Grybauskas

Plus a performance by John DiBartolo and the Lonely Mountain Band.

I don't know if Birns, Donovan, Larsen, and Vaccaro are giving the same or different papers each day.

The Baruch event is coordinated by Jessica Burke and Anthony Burdge, who ran at least two previous conferences in NYC in 2015 and 2016. I attended the latter (where I finally met the most prolific contributor to the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia).

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 21 2019, 8:37pm

Post #21 of 25 (12914 views)
Shortcut
Jessica and Anthony [In reply to] Can't Post

were part of those long-ago Toronto Moots. I know they've been active on the NY-area Tolkien groups for many years.

acheron
Gondor

Jan 29 2019, 2:41am

Post #22 of 25 (11717 views)
Shortcut
I will be heading up at some point [In reply to] Can't Post

I know I stopped posting here much a few years back -- growing family takes up a lot of time! I poke my head in every now and then though. In any case, I've been trying to figure out when I can get up to New York to see this. Initially I was looking at trying to make a trip this week to see the lecture by Hammond and Scull, but that didn't work out. Sometime later in the spring then. If I can get a date sorted out I will let others know in case anyone else will be there as well! I'll look into that April 19th date specifically and see if that will work.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Annael
Immortal

Jan 31 2019, 9:34pm

Post #23 of 25 (11195 views)
Shortcut
the more the merrier! [In reply to] Can't Post

it would be great if your visit could coincide with ours.

-- Gaston Bachelard

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 16 2019, 11:21pm

Post #24 of 25 (8524 views)
Shortcut
Jeff Bezos visited this exhibit? [In reply to] Can't Post

This was reported by John Rateliff, editor of Tolkien's Hobbit manuscripts, in this post to his blog.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

acheron
Gondor

Mar 21 2019, 5:24pm

Post #25 of 25 (8130 views)
Shortcut
Looks like I’m going to miss you all by a week [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably going to get to go the prior Sunday before your meetup.

Excited that I’m going to make it up there at all though, and I’m looking forward to it!

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.