Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Astronomy fans: do you think Oumuamua was a light sail or just a rock?
Poll: Astronomy fans: do you think Oumuamua was a light sail or just a rock?
Light sail
Comet/asteroid/rock/etc
View Results (12 votes)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 4 2019, 2:59pm

Post #1 of 21 (8694 views)
Shortcut
Astronomy fans: do you think Oumuamua was a light sail or just a rock? Can't Post

This remains purely speculative, so there's no definitive answer, but which way are you leaning in the debate? Many articles exist; another here.

I was skeptical at first about it being a manufactured light sail, but the fact that the head of Harvard University's Astronomy Dept is publicly taking the risk of being called a crazy UFO nut makes me wonder, especially because it sped up after leaving the sun without any apparent outgassing.

As I said, we'll never know for sure since it's long gone. But it's fun to think about, and I'm leaning toward artificial light sail.

Annael
Immortal

Jan 4 2019, 3:29pm

Post #2 of 21 (8648 views)
Shortcut
well, I WANT it to be a light sail [In reply to] Can't Post

so I'll go with that.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 4 2019, 6:12pm

Post #3 of 21 (8634 views)
Shortcut
I'll go with 'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence'. [In reply to] Can't Post

Occam's Razor gets a look-in too.

There's a lot we don't know about the universe (or physics, for that matter). Heck, we've been looking at Pluto for much longer than 'Oumuamua and still the scientists were knocked for six when they finally got close images of the planet (yes - planet!). It's not surprising that a natural object from outside our solar system doesn't meet our expectations of behaviour.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 4 2019, 6:49pm

Post #4 of 21 (8629 views)
Shortcut
As usual, your eloquence said what I'm thinking [In reply to] Can't Post

I really, really want it to be a light sail! I guess we just have to wait for the next one and hope we get a better look.

I'd still be fine with it just being a rock since it came from another solar system. That's already cool.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 4 2019, 6:54pm

Post #5 of 21 (8632 views)
Shortcut
Uh, you mean that dwarf planet? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just kidding! Pluto will always be a planet to me. And good point about how big a surprise it was to fly by it. Now, I am usually the loudest in the crowd in wanting to fund more space exploration, but even I thought, "Pluto? Why waste money on it when we should be all over Titan, Europa, wherever." But I was wrong, and that exploration really paid off.

And look at Ultima Thule--another distant, dull thing that was worth exploring.

Now what I want is some giant Tholian Web to trap the next Oumuamu. Next time, that thing is going to stick around for answers.

Starling
Half-elven

Jan 4 2019, 7:08pm

Post #6 of 21 (8628 views)
Shortcut
Years ago, [In reply to] Can't Post

when I was teaching 7 and 8 year olds, I had a boy in my class who was obsessed with space and loved talking about the planets. He was mortified by what happened to Pluto. I can still remember his downcast expression when he said, "Miss, why did they kick Pluto out?"

Cirashala
Valinor

Jan 4 2019, 7:10pm

Post #7 of 21 (8618 views)
Shortcut
Awww [In reply to] Can't Post

Poor kid Evil Sounds like he needed a hug!

(I'm so glad I homeschool. I am allowed to hug my students. PS teachers aren't anymore).

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 4 2019, 7:37pm

Post #8 of 21 (8612 views)
Shortcut
I'll ditto the 'Awww'. [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometimes, scientists can suck a little fun out of life.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 4 2019, 7:38pm

Post #9 of 21 (8612 views)
Shortcut
I agree about inspecting some of Jupiter's moons. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mars is arid - let's take a deeper look at places that have some type of liquid! During my lifetime, preferably - I want to know what's there.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Jan 4 2019, 10:40pm

Post #10 of 21 (8600 views)
Shortcut
This is why I should keep up to date with astronomy news [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm saying light sail, because, even though this is literally the first I've heard of this debate, I am a crazy UFO nut myself

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 5 2019, 12:03am

Post #11 of 21 (8592 views)
Shortcut
Astronomy *nut* here: [In reply to] Can't Post

An interesting and potentially informative rock.
But I do wish it a sail.

Wish we could get Earendil to follow it and report back! Smile

Annael
Immortal

Jan 5 2019, 3:34pm

Post #12 of 21 (8532 views)
Shortcut
ever since I first read about light sails [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been fascinated by them. I think it was "The Mote in God's Eye" by Pohl & Pournelle that introduced me to the concept.

It looks like a rock - but if so, what made it speed up?

Annael
Immortal

Jan 5 2019, 3:39pm

Post #13 of 21 (8528 views)
Shortcut
I've had a UFO experience [In reply to] Can't Post

No abduction or anything like that! Just sitting on the beach at night in the San Juan islands, in 1973, when an extremely bright light came up over the island east of us, then down to the water and skimmed along it maybe 100 yards offshore of where we were . . . IN COMPLETE SILENCE . . . passed off to the north and disappeared.

We all sat there, then someone said quietly, "did you guys see that?" People murmured assent, and then . . . we didn't speak of it again.

(This post was edited by Annael on Jan 5 2019, 3:39pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 5 2019, 7:54pm

Post #14 of 21 (8495 views)
Shortcut
I second his emotion. :( // [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 5 2019, 8:48pm

Post #15 of 21 (8495 views)
Shortcut
It's a gas giant that was suffering from hydrogen intolerance. [In reply to] Can't Post

It should be commended for going on a successful gas reduction regime, not subjected to celestial shaming.

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jan 5 2019, 8:52pm)

Meneldor
Valinor

Jan 5 2019, 9:07pm

Post #16 of 21 (8487 views)
Shortcut
You've read The Wind from The Sun, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

Classic short story by AC Clarke. One of my all time favorites.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 5 2019, 11:33pm

Post #17 of 21 (8467 views)
Shortcut
Except it's so skinny, it's anorexic. Alas, the effects of heavenly body shaming.// [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 5 2019, 11:33pm

Post #18 of 21 (8465 views)
Shortcut
No, but now I think I need to. Thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Jan 6 2019, 5:10pm

Post #19 of 21 (8360 views)
Shortcut
yup // [In reply to] Can't Post

Cygnus
Lorien

Jan 20 2019, 11:11pm

Post #20 of 21 (6333 views)
Shortcut
Tough stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

In defense of the scientists *ducks to avoid rotten tomoatoes thrown at him* Pluto is really a comet. It will not get close enough to the Sun to develop a tail but it hangs out with other comets and is made of the same stuff they are. Scientists were in a lose-lose situation. They knew demoting Pluto wouldn' t be popular but now that they are discovering other Pluto-like objects they would have to label them all "planets" if Pluto was a planet. (Classifying things is serious business to scientists). That would mean that the potential would have been there to have 100 planets someday.

Omnigeek
Lorien

Jul 4 2019, 5:43pm

Post #21 of 21 (1627 views)
Shortcut
Scientists are not of one-mind on the issue [In reply to] Can't Post

I’ve met a few astronomers or planetary scientists that were (and still are) of the mind that Pluto is a planet. Science is not a big Borg-mind.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.