The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Watching FOTR and musings/questions

Cirashala
Valinor

Jan 6 2019, 3:05am

Post #1 of 5 (3114 views)
Shortcut
Watching FOTR and musings/questions Can't Post

To start (as I'm watching it as we speak), why didn't the Fellowship take any horses to ride? If it were concern about tracks, then Bill couldn't have been utilized.

It just seemed odd to me that they'd walk instead of ride, which would no doubt be much faster.

(Possibly more to come as I continue watching)...

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Jan 6 2019, 3:05am)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 6 2019, 3:25am

Post #2 of 5 (3107 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

`But in any case we cannot take the poor beast into the Mines,' said Gandalf. `The road under the mountains is a dark road, and there are places narrow and steep which he cannot tread, even if we can.'
`Poor old Bill! ' said Frodo. `I had not thought of that. And poor Sam! I wonder what he will say? '
`I am sorry,' said Gandalf. `Poor Bill has been a useful companion and it goes to my heart to turn him adrift now. I would have travelled lighter and brought no animal, least of all this one that Sam is fond of, if I had had my way. I feared all along that we should be obliged to take this road.'

-A Journey in the Dark

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 6 2019, 4:06am

Post #3 of 5 (3098 views)
Shortcut
There is that... [In reply to] Can't Post

...however there was no intention to include the Mines of Moria in the Fellowship's original route. It does seem reasonable to wonder why they didn't begin the journey from Rivendell with mounts. Perhaps they knew that the beasts might have to be abandoned once they reached the passes over the Misty Mountains (it was winter after all)? There was the Gap of Rohan, but that would have brought the company too near to Isengard.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Jan 6 2019, 4:20am)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jan 6 2019, 5:23am

Post #4 of 5 (3093 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

At the Ford of Bruinen they left the Road and turning southwards went on by narrow paths among the folded lands. Their purpose was to hold this course west of the Mountains for many miles and days. The country was much rougher and more barren than in the green vale of the Great River in Wilderland on the other side of the range, and their going would be slow; but they hoped in this way to escape the notice of unfriendly eyes.
-The Ring Goes South

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jan 6 2019, 5:34am)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jan 6 2019, 12:00pm

Post #5 of 5 (3083 views)
Shortcut
Good question. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's exactly as it is in the book (just Bill), although in the book the hobbits ride ponies when they leave the Shire (but lose them before they get to Bree).

As the Fellowship discuss their coming journey in the book, nobody seems to mention whether or not they should ride from Rivendell, it just seems to be assumed they will travel light with just a pack-pony, just as Aragorn and the hobbits were doing when they arrived in Rivendell.

There are a couple of mentions of the need for secrecy and travelling light, but the clearest thinking seems to be this:
“Elrond counselled them to journey under cover of night as often as they could, until they were far from Rivendell.

‘You should fear the many eyes of the servants of Sauron,’ he said. ‘I do not doubt that news of the discomfiture of the Riders has already reached him, and he will be filled with wrath. Soon now his spies on foot and wing will be abroad in the northern lands. Even of the sky above you must beware as you go on your way.” [The Ring Goes South]
So I'm guessing the reason for no horses is to do with this - horses would be easier to spot, and riding would (I'm guessing) be hard to do safely at night on the rough paths they will be taking. Since Bill isn't a full-size horse, just a hobbit-sized pony, he's probably less visible and, being low to the ground, perhaps easier to lead over the difficult terrain. Darkstone's quote in his "Also" post makes the same points about the rough country and the need to pass unnoticed. The option of riding is just never mentioned, so I'm guessing that Tolkien, who thanks to his WWI experience knew about horses and what they can and can't do, maybe just took it for granted that he didn't have to explain!

They went in, and Sam shut the door.
But even as he did so, he heard suddenly,
deep and unstilled,
the sigh and murmur of the Sea upon the shores of Middle-earth.
From the unpublished Epilogue to the Lord of the Rings

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.