Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
A review of ROTK
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

squire
Half-elven

Feb 6, 6:46pm

Post #51 of 54 (1940 views)
Shortcut
But 'buzz' isn't 'reviews' [In reply to] Can't Post

Correct me if I've misunderstood you, but you seem to be referring to pre-release industry gossip about how a movie is surely going to bomb, which is contradicted by the actual success of the film when finished and widely released.

That isn't really the same as the exact same film critic writing an initial poor review when it premieres, and then writing a far more favorable review later on, after it proves popular, without acknowledging the change of tune. The latter case is what Darkstone described seeing happen with Star Wars.

We haven't really come up with other examples of such hypocritical fatuity.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 6, 7:44pm

Post #52 of 54 (1930 views)
Shortcut
I guess I have trouble separating whoever creates the buzz and who writes the reviews [In reply to] Can't Post

And mistakenly or not, I lump them together. I realize, of course, that studios have people managing press releases, so that's one source, and rival studios release negative rumors to bring them down, so that's another source of buzz, but official movie critics are, as a third source, I believe, given advance copies of films and insider interviews, tours, whatever, so I see them as part of the same "buzz" ecosystem. But no, I can't cite a specific reviewer retraction. I was talking about the buzz industry/ecosystem/community/culture in general. They have proven to be a fickle bunch at times. Someone else can track down names and dates.

On a related note, this lengthy article in The Guardian showed how Spielberg's and others' explanations for "the meaning" of "Jaws" varied over time. Spielberg initially gave more abstract explanations, but by 2012 said, "“It’s a film about a shark.” (In 2006, he said: "“I always thought that Jaws was kind of like an aquatic version of Duel,” which was about a normal, human predator-bully driving a truck terrorizing a rather wimpy guy driving on the roadways.)

Darkstone
Immortal

Feb 7, 7:08am

Post #53 of 54 (1893 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Many critics in early reviews harshly criticized the love story. The film did okay but not great on its opening weekend and most industry insiders believed it would fade quickly. But by the second weekend it was a runaway success. Suddenly critics loved the story of Jack and Rose. The most bizarre critical yo-yo-ing was by UK's Empire Magazine, which initially gave the film 5 stars, then changed it to 2 stars as critics bashed the film, then reinstated the 5 star rating as the film became a mega-hit.

Character is what we do on the internet when we think no one knows who we are.

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Feb 20, 12:34am

Post #54 of 54 (1364 views)
Shortcut
She does give examples... [In reply to] Can't Post

of what suspense and beauty might look like in her perspective/opinion. And PJ's movie doesn't match it, obviously. So there's an objective parameter, although the whole matter is of course not objective, and a matter of opinion.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.