Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Did Merry & Pippin have longer hair than other Hobbits?

Saruman
Bree

Dec 16 2018, 10:13pm

Post #1 of 7 (3208 views)
Shortcut
Did Merry & Pippin have longer hair than other Hobbits? Can't Post

While in Fangorn Forest, Merry and Pippin drank the glowing golden and green waters that Treebeard "blessed," so to say. Tolkien says that the hair on their heads "was actually standing up, waving and curling and growing" (TTT, 460). I wonder if it continued to grow, or just grew after they drank the Ent-draught. Tolkien isn't even clear on the shades of Merry & Pippin's hair color let alone lengths, but to me this implies that not only did Merry and Pippin become taller by drinking the Ent water, their hair also grew longer than other hobbits.

"I have seen it..."

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Dec 16 2018, 10:37pm

Post #2 of 7 (3183 views)
Shortcut
I have always assumed so [In reply to] Can't Post

As for their hair-colors, Merry's is said in Return of the King to be brown, while Pippin's, in the epilogue that Tolkien wrote but ended up excising from the final manuscript, is said to be nearly golden.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Saruman
Bree

Dec 17 2018, 1:13am

Post #3 of 7 (3173 views)
Shortcut
Ah yes, thank you - [In reply to] Can't Post

I had read that bit about Pippin's hair being almost golden, but since it was taken away from the final manuscript, I didn't take it for canon. But maybe it was, considering Pippin's heritage.

"I have seen it..."

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Dec 17 2018, 1:23am

Post #4 of 7 (3168 views)
Shortcut
Well, as I see it [In reply to] Can't Post

The epilogue was taken away because it was "universally condemned" by Tolkien's friends, as I remember. I think we can safely say that Pippin's hair-colour was probably "almost golden" in Tolkien's imagination even after he cut the epilogue; I doubt that, just because he cut the epilogue, he walked back everything that he wrote there. In fact, a lot of it ended up finding its way into the appendices. I personally cherish the stuff he never published just as much as the stuff he did - it comes from the same hand, right?

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Saruman
Bree

Dec 21 2018, 12:13am

Post #5 of 7 (3049 views)
Shortcut
Very true [In reply to] Can't Post

Good point! I wonder how long their hair got. I want to imagine it like... Kurt Cobain length. Sly

"I have seen it..."

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Dec 22 2018, 2:45pm

Post #6 of 7 (2896 views)
Shortcut
Haha, that imagery is pretty funny [In reply to] Can't Post

I can totally see it, though, which is the weird part!

Saruman
Bree

Dec 23 2018, 1:15am

Post #7 of 7 (2857 views)
Shortcut
Haha [In reply to] Can't Post

Exactly!

"I have seen it..."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.