Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
'Crises talks' between NZ Government and Amazon
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ataahua
Superuser

Dec 22 2018, 7:44pm

Post #1 of 26 (1979 views)
Shortcut
'Crises talks' between NZ Government and Amazon Can't Post

The Government has held a crisis meeting with Amazon TV executives as the network threatens to pull plans to film the Lord of the Rings series in New Zealand.

...Amazon executives met this week with Economic Development Minister David Parker to express their concerns about a lack of studio capacity in Auckland.

Let's hope this isn't The Hobbit brouhaha all over again.

The full story is here:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/...s-in-nz-under-threat

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 22 2018, 8:16pm

Post #2 of 26 (1938 views)
Shortcut
Locations, locations, locations. [In reply to] Can't Post

Might the show film in more than one country? This would be far from unprecedented, what with HBO's Game of Thrones filming in Ireland, Spain, Malta, Croatia, Iceland and Morocco. Surely, Amazon's Middle-earth series could shoot in New Zealand as well as in one or more other countries?

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 22 2018, 8:18pm)

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Dec 22 2018, 8:18pm

Post #3 of 26 (1934 views)
Shortcut
Not this again... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just go to the United Kingdom! Good lord...

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 22 2018, 9:12pm

Post #4 of 26 (1926 views)
Shortcut
WHAT???!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have laid bets NZ was no way even in the running for studio filming (as much as that would be sqweee-worthy for us here). Some weeks at a few key locations for Hobbit holes, mountains, braided rivers and occasional returns to Rivendell, perhaps. Maybe some Weta Workshop or Weta Digital input. But the whole show...? Shocked

Richard Taylor and others have been pushing to rejuvenate the Avalon TV studios in Lower Hutt near Wellington to get more long-term projects and ongoing employment here, and more does seem to be happening over there.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/...uarters-avalon-tower
But maybe they're too busy with Avatar, eh. Laughhttps://www.stuff.co.nz/...m-er-huttywood-hills
Ah, but gee Auckland, you got Xena and Herc and Shorty. Let us have some of the thrill of being homebase for this potentially controversial, multi-year (or single-season Tongue ) TV series. Or we could share the load and go halvsies! Christchurch, do you want in, too? Wink

It will be interesting to see how the current government reacts to this form of 'crisis'. (Who knew talks had gone so far as to warrant that designation?) It sounds like it's a facilities rather than an employment issue this time, but it could still involve who-pays-for-what-and-how-much discussions.

Ah, well, it's raining at the mo in Wellington and I have Christmas to create. What will be will be. I'm happy it's not my job to sit around a conference table being clever at this holiday season. Cool Cheers, everybody!

(This post was edited by Lissuin on Dec 22 2018, 9:26pm)

Ataahua
Superuser

Dec 22 2018, 9:23pm

Post #5 of 26 (1918 views)
Shortcut
"Share the looooooad" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It sounds like it's a facilities rather than an employment issue this time

Cynical me is waiting for that to be crisis no. 2.

In Reply To
but it could still involve who-pays-for-what-and-how-much discussions.

I imagine it's, "We need new studios, you build and pay for them and give us preferential rights to them for as long as we need them."

NZ Government (eventually): "OK."

In Reply To
I'm happy it's not my job to sit around a conference table being clever at this holiday season.

Amen to that! I'm having enough of a crisis of my own with the realisation that Cadbury has stopped making packets of After Dinner Mints. They're a taste of Christmas! How very dare they?

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 22 2018, 10:08pm

Post #6 of 26 (1904 views)
Shortcut
Mints! (pffff) You call that a crisis? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm having a Christmas kitten crisis. We found him crying his lungs out in the bushes next to our house a month ago, feral, no mom in sight, about 4 weeks old. We'd been expecting the Universe to send us a new cat. Now he's all ours, veterinarian certified and hundreds of dollars and multiple scratches and teeth marks in my arms later - and our furniture and computer cords are thinking "Why, woman?!" But he is very entertaining - as entertaining as any reindeer or film/tv show with wargs or dragons or eagles or bear-men. (see how I brought this back to topic?)
Wink

Ataahua
Superuser

Dec 22 2018, 10:30pm

Post #7 of 26 (1890 views)
Shortcut
Aww - go you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Clearly you have an attack-cat who will subdue any couch.

In Reply To
our furniture and computer cords are thinking "Why, woman?!"

Laugh Laugh

Ataahua's stories

2ndBreffest
Rivendell

Dec 22 2018, 10:33pm

Post #8 of 26 (1890 views)
Shortcut
Just film it somewhere else [In reply to] Can't Post

and seriously, I'm sure 90% of it is going to be green screen anyway, and they can do that anywhere.

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 22 2018, 10:50pm

Post #9 of 26 (1882 views)
Shortcut
Never mind all that, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still trying to grasp the fact that Stuff apparently needs an 'Auckland Millennial Issues' reporter. Crazy

Chen G.
Lorien

Dec 22 2018, 10:53pm

Post #10 of 26 (1880 views)
Shortcut
Itís TV [In reply to] Can't Post

You canít be as rampant with your CG on a TV budget, no matter how sizable, as you can in film. Of course, that so much of the CG groundwork has been laid out (Rivendell, for instance) makes it easier, but still.

New Zealand is the right place. Itís been the hub of several TV productions, so itís certainly viable. But Iím more than fine with the idea of occasionally augmenting it with plates shot elsewhere. Even such outlandish environments as the deserts and jungles of Far-Harad can be shot in the vicinity of New Zealand, in nearby Australia and the pacific islands, respectivelly.

Iíd also like to see some flat, prairie vistas that Jackson regretted not being able to capture for Rohan.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Dec 22 2018, 10:58pm)

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 22 2018, 10:58pm

Post #11 of 26 (1877 views)
Shortcut
A bit more from the NZ Herald. [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/...mp;objectid=12181660

Executives from the American company producing a $1.5b Lord of the Rings TV series were in town this week for a meeting with a top-level Government Minister at a time when film studio space is scarce....This week's ministerial meeting with Amazon comes as Kiwi film studios are being booked "chocka" by Hollywood, with the number of movies shot in New Zealand doubling in two years.

2ndBreffest
Rivendell

Dec 22 2018, 11:01pm

Post #12 of 26 (1868 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe not theatrical movie quality cgi, but more along the lines of Syfy original movie cgi.

Ataahua
Superuser

Dec 23 2018, 1:49am

Post #13 of 26 (1836 views)
Shortcut
Says a lot about Auckland, TBF./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 23 2018, 5:19am

Post #14 of 26 (1826 views)
Shortcut
It's just a Hollywood negotiation tactic. [In reply to] Can't Post

Whereas New Zealand's is more "'Stab, stab. Those are my terms."

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.Ē

Moahunter
Rohan

Dec 23 2018, 9:05am

Post #15 of 26 (1805 views)
Shortcut
I hope our Labour led Govt. has more cojones than the Nats. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I want to see the Amazon tv series anyway. I draw the line at associating, in any way, with those tax-dodging scumbags.

2ndBreffest
Rivendell

Dec 23 2018, 1:09pm

Post #16 of 26 (1776 views)
Shortcut
I doubt you'll be missing much anyway [In reply to] Can't Post

the chances this thing turns out to be no better than the average middle school quality fan-fiction cheese fest is incredibly high.

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

Dec 23 2018, 2:08pm

Post #17 of 26 (1763 views)
Shortcut
I'm torn [In reply to] Can't Post

On the one hand, I want to support New Zealand's film industry. On the other, I am wholly uninterested in the "New Zealand IS Middle-earth" narrative and would love to see the series broaden its scope of vistas to capture.

2ndBreffest
Rivendell

Dec 23 2018, 2:13pm

Post #18 of 26 (1759 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not like NZ is the only place on the planet with hills, mountains and trees.

Chen G.
Lorien

Dec 23 2018, 3:15pm

Post #19 of 26 (1746 views)
Shortcut
Like I said, augment it [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
On the one hand, I want to support New Zealand's film industry. On the other, I am wholly uninterested in the "New Zealand IS Middle-earth" narrative and would love to see the series broaden its scope of vistas to capture.

New Zealand isn't Middle Earth, but its certainly one the best places out there to embody it. Peter Jackson, as a Kiwi, had motivation to film ONLY in NZ, but other filmmakers may not share this passion. For them, I think the best solution is to rely on New Zealand for the most part, and occasionally augment it with landscapes taken elsewhere.

By the way, Fellowship of the Ring has a shot that's technically not from New Zealand. The shot of Rauros as Boromir's boat falls off of it, is technically a composite of Niagara Falls.

(This post was edited by Chen G. on Dec 23 2018, 3:17pm)

squire
Half-elven

Dec 23 2018, 6:09pm

Post #20 of 26 (1718 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I didn't know that! [In reply to] Can't Post

The image always looked to me like an entirely composited shot, with an invented cliffscape populated by a generic falling water effect.

Screencap gif image from: i.gifer site.

I didn't know they lifted the falling water from a Niagara clip, as you say. But since only the water is from there, with the banks, cliffs, Tindrock, and foregrounds all made up from CG, can we really say this was 'technically speaking not shot in New Zealand'? To me it seems like it was, technically speaking, not shot anywhere at all.

I apologize if I've misunderstood your meaning.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Chen G.
Lorien

Dec 23 2018, 7:22pm

Post #21 of 26 (1699 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But since only the water is from there, with the banks, cliffs, Tindrock, and foregrounds all made up from CG, can we really say this was 'technically speaking not shot in New Zealand'? To me it seems like it was, technically speaking, not shot anywhere at all.

True.

Its not dissimilar to the way the battlefields of Return of the King and Battle of the Five Armies were composited.

I'm not sure its terribly feasible for TV, but they could composite landscapes of other countries, and - being that no film was technically shot there - still cling to the "100% New Zealand" mantra.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Dec 23 2018, 8:47pm

Post #22 of 26 (1661 views)
Shortcut
For me, NZ has changed my whole outlook on Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not that I can't imagine any other country substituting as Middle-earth, but New Zealand works so well. I would be disappointed if they didn't at least film Hobbiton there (that is, if Hobbiton shows up in the movie at all).

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Chen G.
Lorien

Dec 23 2018, 9:32pm

Post #23 of 26 (1647 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus, we've yet to see all of what New Zealand has to offer: there are geysers, saltpans, white shores, fjords - etc...

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Lorien

Dec 24 2018, 3:40pm

Post #24 of 26 (1482 views)
Shortcut
If the series does go to Harad [In reply to] Can't Post

Then some tropical landscapes would also come in handy - and if National Geographic is to be believed, then New Zealand has these beautiful jungles on the South Island. I think there's a huge cave complex there too, that's very beautiful.

"Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord."

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Dec 24 2018, 4:32pm

Post #25 of 26 (1474 views)
Shortcut
Depends on what part of Harad you're talking about [In reply to] Can't Post

because Near Harad and the northern parts of Far Harad appear to be desert akin to the Sahara...at least, that's the determination of climatologists in Britain and in many threads on here of late.

I wonder if scenes in the desert could be filmed in the outback of Australia? It would be tricky, as the Sahara is so barren and Australia's outback may have *slightly* more vegetation (for the record, I've never been there only seen pictures so don't know for sure).

Would be miserable working conditions though...but I've read that the Sahara's temps are in the 26 C range/86 F in the winter, so maybe that won't be too bad.

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.