Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
About Del Toro vision for a bridge-film leading into Lord of the Rings

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Dec 17 2018, 9:18pm

Post #1 of 10 (4779 views)
Shortcut
About Del Toro vision for a bridge-film leading into Lord of the Rings Can't Post

So I was reading when Del Toro were on board with the Hobbit, he wanted to make the second film to lead directly to LOTR. He said he wanted to have a plot revolving Aragorn setting up a watch in the Shire and the search for Gollum. Let's say he did helm the Hobbit. After the BOTFA, Thranduil sends Legolas to search for Aragorn. Would Legolas have a major role with Aragorn in the search for Gollum?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 17 2018, 10:22pm

Post #2 of 10 (4748 views)
Shortcut
The Hunt for Gollum [In reply to] Can't Post

How does the hunt for Gollum fit into the context of the films as a whole? The Council of Elrond seems to occur in the year following Bilbo's farewell party (September 22, 3000 according to FotR-EE). That doesn't leave a lot of time for the search. Would film-Gandalf ask for Aragorn's help in tracking down Gollum before the year 3000?

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 17 2018, 10:54pm

Post #3 of 10 (4750 views)
Shortcut
I kinda like that idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

What did Gandalf do for 60 years??

I like the thought that after the Battle of Five Armies Legolas goes in search of Strider, and that Gandalf backtracks to find out more about Bilbo's suspicious ring.

Gandalf would get as far as the Misty Mountains before realising he needs a ranger's skills to find the missing puzzle piece.

Legolas then arrives at Lothlorien and learns they're at war with Dol Guldur, that Galadriel wants Thranduil's aid.

While at Lorien, Legolas meets Strider and Gandalf. Gandalf sets them on a quest to track Gollum down.

They find Gollum, take him to Mirkwood, put him in the cells.

The Dol Guldur orcs attack Mirkwood, Gollum escapes.

Thranduil marches to Lorien, allies with Galadriel to attack Dol Guldur

Khamul is driven out and Galadriel destroys Dol Guldur

Strider and Legolas part ways, Gandalf tells Aragorn that he and a group of rangers need to watch over and protect Bree and The Shire. "For there is good pipe weed in those lands, and a certain hobbit that I'm very fond of.."

Something like that anyway. I'd say it's all pretty relevant to the main story, even if it plays with the book's timeline a little.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Dec 17 2018, 11:06pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 18 2018, 1:37am

Post #4 of 10 (4722 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, for myself, I don't think that I would play with the timeline quite so radically, though we do need to make some adjustments to accommodate the film-continuity. I wouldn't place Aragorn in Lothlórien until after he first rode with King Thengel of Rohan and then served under the Steward Ecthelion of Gondor, probably around his forty-ninth year (2964?). I might have Gandalf seek him out as early as the year 2980 (as a nod to Tolkien's timeline) in order to search for Gollum.

The Orc-attacks on Lórien and Mirkwood really should not take place until the final days of the War of the Ring (with the exception of the raid that allows Gollum to escape from the Wood-elves); it really feels out-of-place to have them taking place before the events of The Lord of the Rings.

"For a brief time I was here; and for a brief time I mattered." - Harlan Ellison

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 18 2018, 1:38am)

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 18 2018, 11:49am

Post #5 of 10 (4675 views)
Shortcut
The audience will want a big battle climax though... [In reply to] Can't Post

I know op is discussing del Toro's bridge film, but this goes for the tv show too..

Big battles are part of the identity of Lord of the Rings on screen. Audiences will be expecting big, important battles to rival those in Game of Thrones.

Unless we follow Balin to Moria (which would be very cool, especially if it involved more Ken Stott), I struggle to think of many big battles that could be included in this time period.

It's a relatively peaceful time, so for the general audience watching these characters procrastinate with insignificant matters, all in the knowledge that there's an evil ring being apparently ignored for years. Even if their ignorance is well explained it would make for a rather frustrating watch.

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Dec 18 2018, 11:52am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 18 2018, 2:20pm

Post #6 of 10 (4658 views)
Shortcut
The Raid on Umbar [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Big battles are part of the identity of Lord of the Rings on screen. Audiences will be expecting big, important battles to rival those in Game of Thrones.

There are a few such events between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. This also marks Aragorn's period of great journeys and errantries. Now it looks like this is going to be mined by Amazon, but GdT had access to this material as well. And he would have had a great deal of freedom to improvise. We know that Aragorn and Gandalf met and became friends at some point and traveled together at times. We know that Aragorn as Thorongil rode with King Thengel and served under Ecthelion of Gondor, but we don't have much detail about those years.

When and why did Aragorn enter Moria? What did he encounter there?

In Rohan, Aragorn could have had a number of different adventures, from skirmishes with Orcs or Dunlending raiders to dealing with rebels opposing the ways of the young King Thengel.

We only have details about one battle when Aragorn was in Gondor, but it was a doozy: the raid he led against the Corsairs of Umbar. The film could have climaxed on that with the denouement seeing him in Lothlórien to be reunited with and betrothed to Arwen.

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Dec 18 2018, 3:49pm

Post #7 of 10 (4651 views)
Shortcut
Maybe the 60 years stuff fits more in the movie realm? [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I want to see Amazon adapt the ideas of Del Toro bridge-film, I want to see this on the big screen. It should be in the same universe as Jacksonverse but not directed by him. He totally lost it nowadays and I would like WB to get back Del Toro for this project. I read WB still has the rights to the Hobbit book, so they can still use some of that material for Balin's expedition to Moria for example? Don't know about the Lothorien\Aragorn stuff, since Amazon is going to adapt it.

(This post was edited by Victariongreyjoy on Dec 18 2018, 3:54pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 18 2018, 4:21pm

Post #8 of 10 (4638 views)
Shortcut
Balin in Moria [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I read WB still has the rights to the Hobbit book, so they can still use some of that material for Balin's expedition to Moria for example?

Balin's plans to recolonize Moria are never so much as hinted at in The Hobbit, so that could be a problem if the film rights to LotR have reverted. Also, that story would be pretty self-contained and would be hard to connect to other events. I might adapt it as a side-story in the format of an animated direct-to-video movie.

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Dec 19 2018, 5:26pm

Post #9 of 10 (4543 views)
Shortcut
Would be done for a animated sequel [In reply to] Can't Post

If they could get the actors from the movies to voice the dwarves in Moria, it would be great! Smile But I guess if WB has any plans and even rights to the material.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 19 2018, 6:35pm

Post #10 of 10 (4535 views)
Shortcut
Honestly? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If they could get the actors from the movies to voice the dwarves in Moria, it would be great! Smile But I guess if WB has any plans and even rights to the material.

I was half-expecting such animated prequel movies as lead-ins to Shadow of Mordor and/or Shadow of War, though obviously not involving Balin and Moria.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.