The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Titles

Cygnus
Lorien

Dec 15 2018, 3:02pm

Post #1 of 11 (3178 views)
Shortcut
Titles Can't Post

I noticed that my title has gone from the Shire to Bree to Rivendell. How many levels are there. Is immortal the highest?

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 15 2018, 3:22pm

Post #2 of 11 (3148 views)
Shortcut
Hey! You noticed! [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL, that's from the FAQs, 2.39 specifically:

2.39 I noticed that different users have different titles under their usernames ... what do they mean?
The titles listed under members’ usernames are automatically assigned by the system and are based on the total number of posts that a user has created on the message boards. They represent the journey the members of the Fellowship of the Ring made through Middle-earth and beyond, and are based on the following post counts:

Up to 9 posts: Registered User
10 to 49 posts: The Shire
50 to 99 posts: Bree
100 to 249 posts: Rivendell
250 to 499 posts: Lorien
500 to 999 posts: Rohan
1000 to 1499 posts: Gondor
1500 to 1999 posts: Grey Havens
2000 to 2999 posts: Tol Eressea
3000 - 5000 posts: Valinor
5000 - 10,000 posts: Half-elven - congratulations! Few mortals make it to Valinor. As a reward, Mandos has granted you the choice of the Half-elven: you can "choose a mortal life," or continue posting to the ultimate level...
10,000+ posts: Immortal

If you want to find out who is at what level, go to Who's Online, and click on View Member Directory. Then click on the "Posts" column header, and you'll see the total since these new Boards were started up in February 2007.

(Forum Admins and Superusers (they have the greatest powers of all) get those monikers instead, but you can still see where we are.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Cygnus
Lorien

Dec 16 2018, 3:49am

Post #3 of 11 (3097 views)
Shortcut
Woops [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I should have thought of going to the FAQ for that one.....still a bumbling rookie. Thanks for your response, your friendship and all you do here. It is appreciated.

"I found it is the small things.....everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay.....simple acts of kindness and love." - Gandalf

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 16 2018, 1:31pm

Post #4 of 11 (3064 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome, and one more thing... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've noticed that some of your Caption Contest responses use just a "." in the subject header. That's hard to click on! And what you've written in the post isn't really too long to go into the subject line - in fact, most if not all of your response should go there!

If you'd like, I can edit that last two, to put your responses fully into the subject line.

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 16 2018, 6:20pm

Post #5 of 11 (3045 views)
Shortcut
You will have to get cracking [In reply to] Can't Post

if you want to get to Lorien.Hint: Just post any old inane rubbish. That's what I do, and I've got away with it for years. Cool

Cygnus
Lorien

Dec 20 2018, 5:41am

Post #6 of 11 (2841 views)
Shortcut
Response [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've noticed that some of your Caption Contest responses use just a "." in the subject header. That's hard to click on! And what you've written in the post isn't really too long to go into the subject line - in fact, most if not all of your response should go there!

If you'd like, I can edit that last two, to put your responses fully into the subject line.

I did that because when I was reading the other ones it seemed like the post stood out better than the subject header. I didn't realize that people needed to click on the subject header. I don't on my tablet. Does it depend on the type of device you're using? Please bear in mind I am one of the lowest-tech people you will ever meet. In fact, if I ever win a caption contest I wouldn't be able to post the next picture since I have no idea how to do that. Feel free to edit those captions and I will take your advice on putting more in the header in the future. Thanks for the help.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 20 2018, 6:32am

Post #7 of 11 (2843 views)
Shortcut
It's because [In reply to] Can't Post

we have multiple options for viewing forums and threads. Forums may be viewed in either Threaded or Collapsed Modes: either with threads shown as outlines with replies indented, or with only the root post of the thread showing until you click into it.

Threads themselves can be viewed in either Threaded or Flat. Flat mode is the default, and is no doubt what you're using: all posts show up in posting order one after the other and you just scroll down to read them. However, a number of people here prefer to read in Threaded mode, where the thread presents as an outline of posts with the replies to each post indented underneath it. In that mode, you click in and out of messages using subject lines and can follow down "sub-threads" instead of having them all mixed up. In that mode, subject lines are important, and ones that are only "." are nearly invisible and difficult to click on. This is why many of us simply begin with the first few words of a sentence of our post in the subject line and continue on into the message box without a break (as I did here). You don't have to think of a separate subject line that way, but people in Threaded can easily click on posts. Or you can do what Darkstone does and just type "Well..." for every subject line. Wink

The difference between these viewing modes is also why there is sometimes confusion as to who is replying to whom: in Flat it hardly matters, because all posts just show up in order submitted, but in Threaded each post is a direct reply to a specific post in the thread so it gets confusing when someone in Flat hits the "reply" button on the latest post in the thread to make a generic reply. In Threaded, that reply will often show up higher up the thread in the midst of a different line of conversation.

Also, you can go into a thread in Threaded but then choose to View Flat Mode (using the green button in the thread header) if you decide you want to read everything instead of reading individual posts.

If you want to play around with these settings and see how the TORN world looks for others or to tweak it to your own preferences, you can do so by clicking on the "Edit Profile" ring at the top of the page, and then on "Display Settings". You can change your Post Display and Forum View settings there, as well as how many posts you see on a page, your time zone (offset from GMT) and various other things.
There are more little ways to tweak the boards, but I'll stop here. Options are fun but get overwhelming when they're all explained at once. Tongue

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Dec 20 2018, 6:33am)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 20 2018, 3:29pm

Post #8 of 11 (2808 views)
Shortcut
All set! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I can't give you a better explanation than Silverlode did! Smile

If you want to check out Threaded Mode, then go to the upper-right corner here and click "View Threaded". I've made Threaded Mode default in my Profile settings. I like seeing the threads in "conversation style"!

Cygnus
Lorien

Dec 21 2018, 4:12am

Post #9 of 11 (2755 views)
Shortcut
Mr low-tech [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks you two. I think I understood all that. I really appreciate all the time you two have taken to guide me along. If I didn't love LOTR so much I wouldn't take time to mess with learning this high tech stuff (low tech to everybody else) but I really want to take my love of the adventure to the next level and this is the place to do it. Thanks again. It is greatly appreciated.

Cygnus
Lorien

Dec 22 2018, 4:02am

Post #10 of 11 (2624 views)
Shortcut
Technology [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
we have multiple options for viewing forums and threads.
There are more little ways to tweak the boards, but I'll stop here. Options are fun but get overwhelming when they're all explained at once. Tongue

And if anybody is overwhelmed by technology it's me, Mr Low Tech.
I just tried threaded but didn't like it so I'm back to flat. I'm sure threaded has its advantages but given choices in life I'll always be drawn to the simplest. Any issues I'm having are the result of my disinterest in technology and low tech lifestyle. I don't hate technology (well, sometimes I do) but I'm just not interested in it....to the point that I've never even owned a cell phone. And as everybody knows, if you're not interested in something it's tougher to learn. I will try to learn how to navigate this place but it will be slowly and with as few options as possible. If you see me messing up anything else let me know. I'm the type who takes criticism well. Thanks for your responses and patience.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 22 2018, 4:44am

Post #11 of 11 (2619 views)
Shortcut
No worries. [In reply to] Can't Post

When we set up these boards we tried to satisfy as many preferences as possible. By all means go for the easiest setup for you - just knowing how the other one works makes sense of some of the stuff that happens around here. And never hesitate to ask for help or clarification. We're always happy to help wherever we can. Smile

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.