The Germanic Origins of Yule

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 14 2018, 8:35pm

Post #1 of 6 (597 views)
Shortcut
The Germanic Origins of Yule Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3rGydNBUZ8

So many holidays are layer upon layer of prior traditions.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Dec 14 2018, 10:41pm

Post #2 of 6 (573 views)
Shortcut
In my humble opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

the American tradition of Christmas is the best example of the idea of the "Melting Pot", the idea that all these different races and ethnicities would blend together and form something distinctly American. We really do have a little bit of everything this time of year!

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 14 2018, 11:03pm

Post #3 of 6 (568 views)
Shortcut
Thomas Nast – The man who invented Santa Claus Dec 9, 2016 Goran Blazeski [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.thevintagenews.com/...nvented-santa-claus/

Our unique take on it - "Nast conceived and introduced our modern image of Santa Claus.......... 1881 illustration by Thomas Nast who, along with Clement Clarke Moore’s poem “A Visit from St. Nicholas”, helped to create the modern image of Santa Claus"

UK still uses Father Christmas for example.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 15 2018, 3:29pm

Post #4 of 6 (552 views)
Shortcut
how you get people to convert to your religion [In reply to] Can't Post

without using force: tell them that their god or holy being is the same as your god or saint and that their ancient celebrations are the same as yours, just changing the names as needed. The Catholic Church excelled at this.

It kind of backfired with the Africans stolen away to the Americas, though; they kept on worshipping their own gods & goddesses in the guise of saints and so kept many of their traditions alive in the new forms of vodoun, santeria, and condomble. A friend of mine, whose roots are in Puerto Rico, recently realized that her very devout grandmother's home altar was in fact a santeria altar, not Catholic!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Dec 15 2018, 10:20pm

Post #5 of 6 (533 views)
Shortcut
The Romans were quite good at it too - [In reply to] Can't Post

or at overlaying their own culture on the old one, rather than obliterating it by force. Mind you, they did quite a good job of obliterating the Druids! Aqua Sulis (Bath) for one example, became known as Sulis Minerva. Saturnalia (which took over from the old Winter Solstice) became the festive season when the new Christmas was celebrated. It's interesting, diverging slightly from the subject, that Mithras, the Roman soldiers' God, was also born at midwinter.

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 17 2018, 12:44am

Post #6 of 6 (500 views)
Shortcut
Certain calendar periods just demand some kind of holiday. [In reply to] Can't Post

The dark part of the year cries out for a light oriented festival.

Also, look at Central and South American fusion of their native beliefs with Catholicism. I think the church decided that the form was less important than the conversion.

"To the people of these countries, there is no difference between the Pachamama (the Incan notion of mother earth: an integral part of the Incan belief system) and the Virgin Mary. Both hold a beautifully equal significance. In Potosi during carnival (a celebration of both the coming of Lent in the Christian calendar and the coming of spring in the Incan calendar), I saw a leather-faced Bolivian woman wrapped in a traditional Andean poncho, holding on her bowler hat with one hand, and spreading flowers on the cobbled streets and doorsteps with the other. I asked her why she was performing this curious ritual and she looked at me was a toothless grin and said matter-of-factly: “"Mijito, es para la Virgen… y para la Pachamama.”"

https://berkleycenter.georgetown.edu/...ism-in-south-america

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 17 2018, 12:45am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.