other (please elaborate)
View Results (13 votes)

Bwonder
The Shire

Nov 10 2018, 5:32pm

Post #1 of 17 (4296 views)
Shortcut
what is your fav cat breed? Can't Post

their are so many beautiful breeds, wondering what's your favorites are.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 12 2018, 1:29am

Post #2 of 17 (4148 views)
Shortcut
Plain ol' tabby cat. [In reply to] Can't Post

Officially, the American Shorthair. I've had several cats, and the most loving have been my tabbies. Heart

Bwonder
The Shire

Nov 12 2018, 1:36am

Post #3 of 17 (4145 views)
Shortcut
Cats [In reply to] Can't Post

Tabbies are really cute, i've always been a fan of short haired cat breeds.Heart

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 15 2018, 6:13am

Post #4 of 17 (3928 views)
Shortcut
Tuxedo Long Hair / [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Nov 16 2018, 3:04pm

Post #5 of 17 (3813 views)
Shortcut
one day I shall share my life with a silver tabby [In reply to] Can't Post

They are so beautiful!

I also dream of having a Norwegian Forest cat.

I've had/have a tabby (a/k/a a "cat in a pinstripe suit), two solid blacks, a long-haired tuxie, a Siamese (never again: the yowling!), and two tortoiseshells. I have very much liked every Himalayan I ever met, including Chairman Meow, a neighbor's cat, who made free of my home for several years, coming in to sleep on the back of my couch or just wander about, and Willi, the family cat of the Krakauer family, named after the mountain climber Willi Unsoeld who was a teacher of mine in college. Very self-possessed cats. I've always said one needs at least one cat in the house to teach one humility.

(This post was edited by Annael on Nov 16 2018, 3:08pm)

Bwonder
The Shire

Nov 16 2018, 3:29pm

Post #6 of 17 (3801 views)
Shortcut
Cats [In reply to] Can't Post

Chairman Meow, i love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Heart

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 1 2018, 4:43am

Post #7 of 17 (3623 views)
Shortcut
Just a regular ol' cat. [In reply to] Can't Post

Cat breeds look too similar to me to really get excited about them. The differences seem to mostly depend on the length of the coat and nose. The basic cat is still the same.
Having said that, I once knew two beautiful Burmese cats with the most gorgeous blue eyes. They were up to those blue eyes in personality, too.

I also like neutered male orange tabbies. I say neutered, because male orange tabbies undergo a complete personality shift after they get neutered, more so than any other kind of cat I've known. The crankiest, hissiest ones turn into big ol' love pots. Laugh

Our current cat is pretty cool too. She is a dilute tabby with just enough tortoise shell in her to give her a great personality. This cat is not afraid of anything, even an 80 lb lab who really, really wants to play.

Daisy Cat

Dec 1 2018, 4:45am

Post #8 of 17 (3621 views)
Shortcut
Why, thank you, Alassëa, I think you're pretty cool, too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 1 2018, 2:40pm

Post #9 of 17 (3605 views)
Shortcut
*scritch, scritchie-scritch* [In reply to] Can't Post

What a beauty...*sigh* I miss my dear departed tabby-boys...

Daisy Cat

Dec 1 2018, 5:31pm

Post #10 of 17 (3606 views)
Shortcut
*purrs loudly, turns head for better access, then attempts to bite you* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a bit of a brat. It's that tortoiseshell in me! Angelic

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 1 2018, 6:11pm

Post #11 of 17 (3598 views)
Shortcut
We call those [In reply to] Can't Post

"kiss-nips", it was a way to explain our cats' behavior to our kids when they were very young.

I had one cat who liked to like my hand, then "nip" (take between her teeth) the area she'd just licked...then lick again, then nip again...maybe she was related to Gollum? Angelic

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 13 2018, 11:46pm

Post #12 of 17 (3253 views)
Shortcut
catz [In reply to] Can't Post

I just read something about how cats basically came to live with humans because we had grain, which brought rodents, which they ate, which made us happy.

Only in the Victorian Age did we begin to think of them as indoor pets. (in my childhood, all cats were barn cats)

We never really bred them for the kind of specialized diversity you see in dogs.

I have a personal propensity for shiny tiny black panthers. I read the jungle Book when I was a kid and immediately wanted a black panther (and a thirty foot python). I presently have one 16 year old black cat named Nightcrawler (after the marvel superhero) and one crazed teenaged black cat named T'Challa (after Marvel's Black Panther), as well as a black and white crazed sister to him named (duh) Shuri, and an old blue cat named Sindarin (cause, grey elves).

I have had one fabulous classic brown tabby (the kind with the big swirls and the manta ray over the shoulders, instead of the mackerel stripes) and others, but if I adopt more, I will look for the black ones, because they are often overlooked, or hard to adopt out.

Do look up Jesper the ski-joring cat... I think he's a Norwegian Forest Cat. And he actually ski-jors (usually done with dogs, horses or reindeer).

I have issues with overexaggerated breeds of anything like squashy faced dogs and cats... ergh... but there are so many awesome cats out there I could easily become Crazy Cat Lady if I had enough money...

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Dec 13 2018, 11:52pm

Post #13 of 17 (3251 views)
Shortcut
I love those names! What a Marvellous group of cats you've got! [In reply to] Can't Post

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2018, 2:46am

Post #14 of 17 (3247 views)
Shortcut
heh heh heh... I see what you did there... [In reply to] Can't Post

MARVELous...

and one Elf of course...

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Dec 14 2018, 7:39pm

Post #15 of 17 (3237 views)
Shortcut
Sindarin is one of my favorite Elvish words [In reply to] Can't Post

I've only heard it used as a cat name once before, but I love it; it feels so appropriate, so fitting, for a cat - I have a cat named Rivendell ("Riven", for short).

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Apr 5 2019, 10:44pm

Post #16 of 17 (1330 views)
Shortcut
other [In reply to] Can't Post

specifically, my relatives barn cats of unknown and rather dubious heritage
granted, they aren't always all that friendly, but one in particular likes me quite well (a fluffy ginger tom missing several appendages from frostbite and fights and with a tendency to drool. I love him too Heart)

Ioreth
Rivendell

Oct 30 2020, 1:09pm

Post #17 of 17 (1061 views)
Shortcut
"all healthy ones" [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say all of them which do NOT have health problems due to inbreeding or breeding traits which harm the health of the felines.

But I must say I have the softest spot for Norwegian Forest Cats - since my cat companion for over 7 years had lots of traits from that breed even though she was a "european house cat" ...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.